1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combing through CC factions

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Xince, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Nenyx

Nenyx Well-Known Member

You have another case where CC is good: when you just want to lock away some troop. You don't need ultra high CC or state of the art CC weaponry, you just need to be able to engage it and have enough CC capabilities to make the opponent waste several orders getting rid of you, even if you have little chances to damage it.

For example, odalisks are very good at it, with a pistol and average CC, the girls are not exactly CC killers, but their i-khol make them a real order sink. If you have something hard to kill like a swiss, but you can expect to reach melee (move+cc or dodge triggers i-khol so return fire is unlikely, plus they have NWI), you can lock away an expensive soldier with a a single troop, then do your business elsewhere. Of course it's highly situational.

Abrilete likes this.
  2. Leviathan

Leviathan Hungry Caliban

I think Taskmasters are good for lockdown as well since if they enter combat at the end of their turn and are still in it at the start of the next, their koalas can be triggered by orders in and around the combat - if the enemy tries to bring in reinforcements they gotta dodge incoming koalas, or if they wanna fight the taskmaster they gotta accept two free shock hits that might take them out - or declare a dodge at -3 (martial arts) and eat the taskmaster's CC roll.

#22 Leviathan, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Abrilete likes this.
  3. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, play like you got a plan!

4. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

Why so? I think MA states it applies a MOD to your opponent, face to face roll not being specified.

5. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

daboarder and Barrogh like this.
  6. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

I mean, look at what happens when they fight something that can actually CC though. Especially when it comes to doing something like locking down a TAG or beefy HI, nothing is going to compete with Shaolin Monks at the 5-10 point warband tier (except maybe Kuang Shi but you've made a horrible mistake if a Kuang Shi is in B2B with you) and cheap MA3 units at the 20-35 point tier.

Golem2God likes this.
  7. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Of course, troops that are superior in CC are likely to beat troops that are less good, this to be expected. But most of the time, your Bandit is not fighting Ninjas in CC, nothing like, and the Bandit shoots Ninjas if it needs to do such a thing, it doesn't engage in CC.

Although it is worth noting that the chance a Bandit will kill a Ninja in CC is sufficiently high that it makes engaging a Bandit in CC with a more expensive and valuable Ninja on the active turn relatively risky and therefore may dissuade such things. I've encountered that before, yeah Achilles will probably beat a Shaolin Monk... but not by that much. Might as well shoot. And that's important too.

8. meikyoushisui

The 26 and 29 point Ninjas have DA weapons, like in the simulation above (and the 29 point Ninja is far and away the most played) whereas bandits run mostly from 22-25 points.

The 5 point difference isn't worth nearly as much as the fact the ninja is 2.5 times as likely to win any given roll. Most players are going to take that trade, the reward far outweighs the risk.

9. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

except gals

Gals are far and away the best warband in the game. not only are they a burtal package in and of themselves, but in terms of the way they work in the list, with inspiring leadership and enough orders to readily cross the table and still do damage.

10. meikyoushisui

I think in general they're closer, but worse in the specific parameters I gave (locking down beefy pieces) because that's a case where you probably don't want to be berserking.

11. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

Shrug. Depends personally i find the idea of dedicated wounds. And multiples tends to be more of a deterent than merely just wasting orders.

12. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

I'll promote my own faction and say CA if you want to mix things up in CC. More fragile for the points but plenty of fun options. With some very unique troopers.

Preta's are not nearly as strong as Gal's in CC but they have 6-6MOV.
    [​IMG] PRETA Chain Rifle / AP CCW. (0 | 7)

Amazing mini's and regular orders, but expensive. PH14 + Mimetism.
    [​IMG] DĀTURAZI Chain Rifle, Grenades, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW. (0 | 14)

Do I really need to say anything at all?
    [​IMG] SPECULO KILLER Combi Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, Monofilament CCW, Knife. (1 | 35)

AD NBW. They are just so much fun and new mini soon.
    [​IMG] RASYAT Combi Rifle, D-Charges, Eclipse Grenades / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 29)

14BS until the unlikely event you want to Berserk.
    [​IMG] KORNAK Lieutenant Mk12, Light Flamethrower / Pistol, DA CCW. (1 | 41)

Super jumping 6-2MOV to try and eat your opponents. Very unique.
    [​IMG] UMBRA SAMARITAN Spitfire, Flash Pulse / Pistol, Vorpal CC Weapon. (1 | 44)

Jack of all trades, a profile so nice it's too long to list.
    [​IMG] UMBRA LEGATE Hacker (Hacking Device Plus) Boarding Shotgun, Flash Pulse / Pistol, DA CCW. (0.5 | 43)

Similar to the Samaritan but with a 15BS Red Fury.
    [​IMG] SHESKIIN Red Fury, Pulzar, D-Charges / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 51)

Interesting profile certainly worth mentioning. Chest mine and a MC2 roll can result in 6-4MOV plus SJ/CP.
    [​IMG] KRAKOT RENEGADE Submachine Gun, Chest Mine / Pistol, DA CC Weapon. (0 | 15)

Barrogh likes this.
  13. Leviathan

Leviathan Hungry Caliban

Don't forget the Aswuang... not *quite* as impressive on paper, but marker state and surprise attack makes a big difference.

14. Mahtamori

I recently made Samaritan a high-priority target for Saito to backstab. I don't feel like I made a bad choice, but in hind-sight I should probably have killed the Nexus Operative and Dr. Worm and hoped for the best with the Samaritan not being able to advance past my TR REMs. Mostly because, spending 11 orders on Saito round 1 turned out to cost me the game since I didn't dominate any quadrants and loss of lieutenant would've made a world of difference.

15. Xince

Xince Member

I tend to agree with your Idea, though i'm not sure that galwegian are really à troup you'd want to lock someone in CC with.
    They are ex imp, so even if you lock someone you will have to attack on your turn, plus with CC21 you're not that much of a threat to Big units you'd usually want to lock. Imho, you never want to pass on berserk+dogged on them. And they don't have the kit to lock and be à Real menace.
    On this particular aspect i think uberfalkommando or even morlock (depending on MC Roll, and with e/m weapon) are way better AT locking.

16. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

I genuinely don't rate G45s above the other warbands because they use Berserk to put a wound on a target but often die doing so. That's useful, because they're cheap, but they are also likely to die. A Shaolin kills and survives, and a Morlock too to a slightly lesser extent (but has better CC weapon options, and the fantastic Assault Pistol profile).

I'm not saying they're bad, I'm saying that they're different, but on the same level. The best warband in the game is IMO the Chain Rifle Myrmidon anyway, but then I prefer regular and semi-elite troops.

meikyoushisui likes this.
  17. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

Obligatory joke about best warband in the game not being classed as WB and not behaving like most "standard" warbands do :yum:

Also, I feel what really makes gals is Wallace. There are things they can do better than others on their own, sure, but turning those orders into regulars makes some serious difference.

meikyoushisui and Ginrei like this.
  18. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

They were going to be an honorable mention but i decided against it. Looking back, I probably should have replaced Kornak with them. But 25pts for an Aswang with no infiltration hurts.
    You may regret that switch next time lol. I use both a Nexus and Samaritan in my lists and swap the LT around often to keep up the shell game for my opponents.

19. Mahtamori

It was the Samaritan Hacker :) The Nexus was only possible LT

Next time I'll not likely have Saito, though :(

20. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

Lots of armies can CC.

Perhaps a better question in making up your mind would be "what kind of CC are you looking for" coupled with "what else does the sectorial do that you like?"

CHA are great, but if you don't dig on kilts or think Ariadna is boring, then that's not going to work for you.

JSA are great, but if you don't dig on space samurai and think the rest of their army is annoying, that's not going to work for you either.

No army is "only CC." You get a lot of stuff when you buy into any Sectorial, so you probably want to create a few secondary criteria for helping to figure out what you're looking for in a Sectorial.

toadchild, Section9 and ambisinister like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation