1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Code One: Reset Mods from States

Discussion in 'Rules' started by inane.imp, Apr 28, 2020.

1. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

A marker is just a reminder for the state. You cannot be triple-immobilized A.

2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

And the rules for that is found... where?

@Florian Hanke is correct, though I'm asking for where the rules are stating a specific thing rather than arguing for something and not accepting a "because I said so" answer.

Florian Hanke likes this.
  3. Alfy

Alfy Well-Known Member

Actually, I’d go by the intro to the States section: “A State is a game rule that represents the different conditions, positive or negative, in which a Trooper or Game Element can be in[...]”.

Technically, it does not state outright that you can’t cumulate the same marker more than once. It’s still clear though: markers are only used to represent the fact that that state is positive. If you are already IMM-B and some other effects makes you IMM-B, you’re still just IMM-B, the rule above is clear that this is an on/off situation.

inane.imp and tox like this.
  4. Florian Hanke

Florian Hanke Does not know how to stop building terrain.

I agree, it should be explicitly written in the rules.

5. Mahtamori

I don't agree they do. Entering IMM-B state twice would have you be in the IMM-B state twice, applying the effects of IMM-B twice, etc unless the rules say otherwise. It's not a case of putting a marker twice, as that is just a short-hand, but each time you fail against a Carbonite you enter IMM-B.
    While it makes sense for "enter the IMM-B state" to refer to a single possible instance of a specific state, I would argue we have reached the point in world wide gaming lingo where such can not be assumed because of how often it is simply not mechanically correct. And as a small petty detail, even if it were, that's the lowest of low of game design to rely on tiny grammatical minutia like that.

6. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

When you "meet the requirements", you ACTIVATE a state. You are "activating the effects". It is different.

7. Alfy

Alfy Well-Known Member

I disagree with you, because positive/negative states implicitly exclude levels. I don’t disagree that this should be made explicit instead.

And I don’t disagree with your approach, but I would argue there is a lot more wrong than minutia with the C1 rules, at least in the context of what they are supposed to achieve - ie, bring more players in. Every single issue I had with the N3 rule book is present here as well, this will not make he game more palatable to newcomers. I thought of posting about it but then it’d be one long rant. But I understand that most posters here, being experienced players, would go straight into the coherence of the mechanics.

#27 Alfy, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    Mahtamori likes this.
  8. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Are you going to call it "grammatical minutia" when the rules consistently refer to each of the concrete states as singular?

You should notice lots of places where the rules say "the X state" when referring to one of the named states (like Disconnected, Dead, Camouflaged), but use "a Y state" when Y is "Null" or "Marker".

Really, stop for a moment and look at Prone. Then find someone to walk through the following steps with:

1. Deploy a trooper and activate the Prone state on it.
    2. Spend an order on that trooper from step 1, declare a Move skill, and say the words aloud "I want that trooper to go Prone."

If your result is that you now have a trooper with two Prone tokens on it, you may need to relax, and take a break.

9. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

This clearly means that any State is a binary on/off switch. You can have many states, but EACH once, either on or off.

10. Mahtamori

Well, except Disposable or trooper with more than one Disposable equipment (such as Jujak Engineer) will behave weirdly

11. Alfy

Alfy Well-Known Member

You’re obviously quite right. But look at it from the perspective of a new player: can I immobilize a unit twice so that it will need two rolls to free itself? That’s not a crazy question in any way, but every answer to the contrary is inferred from whether some text is plural or not, the semantics of the word “different”, whether this makes sense for other states, etc. It’s not crazy to say that States could be much better defined, with some clear rules in how they should be managed.

wes-o-matic and inane.imp like this.
  12. Vocenoctum

Vocenoctum Well-Known Member

It seems clear to me that you're in a state or not in a state, with no "triple immobilized" or "extra special marked".

But if you're Immob A and Immob B at the same time, can you dodge or reset since each only allows you to get out of theirs?

13. Mahtamori

Both disallows you to declare the skill required to get out of the other, so you should be unable to declare Reset due to IMM-A and unable to declare Dodge due to IMM-B and will be at mercy of an Engineer reaching you just like N3's IMM-1.

inane.imp likes this.
  14. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

You need to hope to pass your relevant freeing roll when you are going to get the second state, otherwise you are a beautiful statue!

15. wes-o-matic

wes-o-matic feeelthy casual

When people are having to call back to the prior edition of the rules to clarify content in the “new player friendly” rulebook that was just released, something may be amiss.

16. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Even if you are in IMM-B several times, the rules just say “if you’re in IMM-B, do this”. That block of text doesn’t have anything that’s dependent on the number of times you’ve been placed there. It’s written in a binary fashion - either you are or you aren’t.

inane.imp, CabalTrainee and Teslarod like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation