1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chromedog's log of terrain and stuff.

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by chromedog, Oct 26, 2018.

1. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Aaaaaaaaand the lighting electronics for this building are now done. Just have to add some trim around the upper holo-ad to stop the light leakage.
    Just some supplemental detailing work to finish on the outside (when the weather behaves again).
    All of these units are independently wired and powered, so I can have any of them on or off.
    The ad-cube is lit up. The two body-modding clinics are done ("Body swap chop-shop" and "Surgery shack").
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Orange LEDs for the lower one (they glow red), green for the upper (it contrasts better with the orange on the building and the 'red' glow from the lower one). Quad-LED (white) inside the ad-cube (they were salvaged from a broken sensor light).

I'm getting info from a friend about some "scatter" terrain (street rubbish).

nehemiah, Wizzy, Red Harvest and 6 others like this.
  2. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

If you want piles of trash bags and stuff, check out Spectre Miniatures scenery range. Their trash piles are currently in stock (as of this post), but if they're out of stock you may need to wait a couple weeks for them to get around to casting more.

[​IMG]

Wizzy, timberfox and jherazob like this.
  3. chromedog

Yeah, I'm aware of those, but a friend interstate had sculpted and had his own stuff moulded and cast - I was hoping to see about nabbing some of those off him first, before venturing out into the (now) gst laden international purchase waters (we used to have a $1000aud cap on purchases before duties were charged. This got scrapped a while ago, so now "all" internet international purchases will attract it.

A couple of years ago, I would have been all over them.

Section9 and jherazob like this.
  4. chromedog

Behind-the-curtain Scenes:

This is the "magic" that makes it all glow. I am no mere "wizzerd", I am a technomancer.

The inner workings of the ad-cube and upper and lower holo-adverts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Section9

That's pretty dang unfortunate...

6. chromedog

Yup.
    Amazon locked us out of their .com domain store (and set up .com.au but <10% of their merch is available there - but ALL of that ships from their US locations and attract that gst anyway).
    Many other dealers told them to "sod off" as it's unenforceable.
    Many ebay dealers don't ship here either (and the handful that do, ONLY take paypal, and the dispute window isn't long enough to allow for delivery times in many cases. 30 days - and "4-6 weeks for delivery).
    So you tend to get the "duties payable on collection" issue, Afaik. I haven't done an int'l purchase in a few years. I could get it here or I could make it myself otherwise (didn't get those skills in a props shop for nothing).

7. Leper

Leper UPGRADE: EXILE

Hey, I recognize those ad kiosks! Glad someone's still getting some use from 'em--and on such a beautiful table, to boot.

chromedog and jherazob like this.
  8. chromedog

I've got two of them (trying to find the third dice box - which naturally is the third size you can get (I have three of those dice boxes, all different sizes) to fit the ads and light source to.
    I've also discovered I'm out of solder, so that will have to wait.

9. Leper

Leper UPGRADE: EXILE

Well then, you only need 5 more to use them all. ;)

I thought I'd resized them for different common box sizes, but it looks like all that's left on the GDrive is the templates for two and the original 8 variants.

chromedog likes this.
  10. chromedog

Oh, and these haven't been used on a table yet. :D

That's just one of the larger buildings.

It's my current table project that will probably take me about 6 months to put together. I've got a couple of KoD buildings and a monorail to build (elevated) complete with station platform and freight hoist. I'll endeavour to have it done by March/April or so.

11. chromedog

The building got used on a table at a local tourney a couple of weeks ago.
    [​IMG]

The rest of that table is Shark Mounted Lasers with a bit of bplaser and some other warmill bits.

12. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

I do love me some lighted ad cubes/cylinders. I cheated on mine, and just used those submersible tea lights.

chromedog and jherazob like this.
  13. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

There's no cheating, there's only using your local resources :grinning:

14. chromedog

I'm a firm believer in recycling found tech. Dead modem? Pull the switches, sockets and LEDs and maybe use the case for terrain.
    I've got an old WD "mybook" external HD that died a while back (the drive itself is fine, it was the control board that died. Drive got rehoused and the rest was used for terrain.

xagroth, Section9 and jherazob like this.
  15. chromedog

So, I mentioned getting in touch with an out of state friend to get some of his work.
    Last weekend was our national wargames convention (we had a 70 player infinity event as part of it) and I managed to catch up with him and a few other friends.
    I passed a couple of old WoD art/reference books to him as a late xmas present and he GAVE me three moulds for piles of rubbish. I did a test cast up yesterday.

[​IMG]

The leftmost one is about 2" across. The middle one is designed to sit up against a vertical wall and the rightmost is a smaller version of the left one.
    They will be getting paint, washes and varnishes in the coming weeks.

Wizzy, Willen, Red Harvest and 6 others like this.
  16. Section9

Your friend is awesome!

chromedog and Koin-Koin like this.
  17. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

I am impressed, it looks like those pieces would be hard on a mould.

chromedog likes this.
  18. chromedog

It's a very flexible mould. (Pinkysil for any Aussies around.).

[​IMG]

Undercoat of gobbo green and the first layer of inks to grime it up. Needs more brown/black/green but I'm out of most of them. This is a vallejo mecha "oilstains" as a first layer.

19. chromedog

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The two smaller piles. The one on the left is the original one (designed to sit flush with a wall), 2 coats of vallejo oilstains.
    The righthand one is a freestanding pile. Again, 2 coats of oilstains. They look suitably wet and manky.

More terrain to come.
    Next up, a practice dojo for my JSA Domaru.

Wizzy, Modock, Berjiz and 4 others like this.
  20. System_Override

Quick question: As I am in Singapore for quite a while, shipping from Australia suddenly isn’t as crazy expensive as it is to Europe. Are there any Aussie Terrain bits you can totally recommend so i can take advantage of that fact?

chromedog likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation