1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you Minesweep Tinbots?

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by inane.imp, Jul 15, 2018.

1. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Follow up: if you can Minesweep Tinbots, do you need to 'fire' the Minesweeper at the owning Trooper or at the TInbot itself?

2. Valmiir

Valmiir Member

The third bullet point in TinBot makes it clear you cannot target the Bot itself:
    • For all game purposes, a TinBot is treated as a Marker and not a figure.
    I'm also tempted to say that this means it can't be targeted by Minesweeper at all, but have no further evidence to support this.

3. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Q: Can I declare a BS Attack against a TinBot?
    A:
    No. Because is a state Marker.

chromedog, inane.imp and Valmiir like this.
  4. inane.imp

Cool, forgot about that FAQ (probably because I've always thought of it it in terms of 'normal' BS Attacks which would need a profile to resolve against). However, it only actually answers the follow-up: can I sweep the Tinbot if I fire the Minesweeper at the owning trooper?

I think the answer will be 'no' because in that case I'm attempting to use it against the Trooper not the equipment.

@Valmir just because something is a Marker doesn't mean you can't target it (Deployable Repeaters are Markers whereas Fast Pandas are Figures, both a valid targets for BS Attacks) it's the 'state Marker' that means it's a token representing a game-state (the key fact I forgot) rather than an actual Marker like a Mine (which has a profile). My confusion was because Minesweeper doesn't need a profile to work against (it's why you should be able to, theoretically, Minesweeper deployed D-Charges but you can't BS Attack them with say a Combi... although it's plausible that they get captured by this FAQ as well).

5. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Sure it's going to be no. The trooper that has the TinBot isn't 'enemy Deployable weapons or pieces of Equipment '

chromedog and inane.imp like this.
  6. macfergusson

macfergusson Van Zant is my spirit animal.

I do think the "deployable" tag on the TinBot causes some confusion here, but the FAQ does clear it up as to intent. I'm not sure that making things like Mates and Tinbots as separate items on the table is a good thing, since it gives the impression that they are figures that can be targeted, even though they are actually just status markers. No one asks if they can target a Burnt state marker.

Hecaton, inane.imp and Valmiir like this.
  7. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Of course, in the other claw are the various types of mines, which have always been markers that people could shoot at. And the elaborate stand-up camo markers that are in circulation.

I think the mistake, if any, was trying to use “model” as a game term in 3rd. Because having a model doesn’t really indicate whether something has stats, is a state marker, or whatever.

Hecaton likes this.
  8. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

The game needs better terminology to differentiate between "marker states" and "state markers".

9. inane.imp

And non-marker state Markers.

Mines are hilarious: as a Camo Marker they prevent Cautious Move as a Mine Marker they (apparently) don't.

10. C0MR4DE

C0MR4DE Malfunctioning Unidron

You can hack the Tinbot, just use blackout.

11. inane.imp

You hack vs the Trooper not the Tinbot. I'm basically asking "would Minesweeper work the same way" A: no.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation