1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brainstorm: Yu Jing special characters

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Hjiryon, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Side-tracked: Haven't we had hints that Oddyseus is making a return, miraculously un-sepsitorized?

2. Hjiryon

Hjiryon Well-Known Member

Nothing I noticed - but then, it's very possible I just missed it. Kind of fits the concept of the character anyway, right?
    After that, it's a matter of time before we get Trojan Horse jokes about whether Aleph should accept him back.

Barrogh, xagroth and Section9 like this.
  3. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

That'd be an interesting 'different'! Do like!

With the N3 change to TacJump, that might be tolerable (as your coordinated-order arrival options are limited to AD1 or 2, no longer bringing two LFTs, a boarding shottie, and a super-spitfire into your opponent's Deployment Zone from the back edge and shooting all their troops in the back).

But the original Ko Dali fluff was that Ko Dali was actually her dad's name, he died so she took his name and fought on. So having another family member trying to get her back would be a bit ... re-derivative.

Bringing back Odysseus would be hilarious, and totally expected.

No opinion on the ethnic-Japanese character until I read the post-Secession fluff. I'm not sure there are any Japanese left in the Yu Jing military right now.

Totally dig the 'metachemisty (or bootyL3) to represent random experimental stuff' idea for an HI tester.

And I'd like to re-state my desire for no more ReCreations, but some actual real people as characters.

4. Warhydra

Warhydra Well-Known Member

Kudos for putting way more thought into this than I did! Though I think she should have Explode Lv.2 (Self-destruct), where you can blow up as a half order and have a higher DAM value while exploding (EXP instead of Shock?). Though that is probably not all that practical in this game, since you are blowing up a TAG.

This is also a good idea, I am glad I was able to inspire this.
    If we ever get a Korean Sectorial, I hope there will be a bunch of remote presence units controlled by pro-gamers, that or their elite units will carry Samsung S7000 Incendiary Grenades.

My own solution for @Section9 's concern would be to make the character Su Jian an advanced proto-type (common trope in anime lol) or Su Jian MK.2 and give it enough stat bumps and special rules so it would be a lot more expensive (around the cost of Achilles), but also a lot more capable than a standard Su Jian.

tox and Kallas like this.
  5. Telcontar

Telcontar Well-Known Member

I want a heroic good guy shang ji officer with inspiring leadership, stratetgos level 1 and haris.

Dragonstriker and Kallas like this.
  6. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Just say "I want a cheap Sun Tze for linking"... The purpose of the thread is to provide background characters, not picky profiles.

7. Telcontar

Telcontar Well-Known Member

I doubt inspiring leadership would make the profile that much cheaper than Sun Tze... and it isn't what I meant at all.
    I used the skill to describe an archetype, a hero of the people kind of character, leading from the front, inspiring, showing the sphere that Yu Jing is in the business of defending it against the EI and for that, modern Yu Jing powerarmor and inspiring personality.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  8. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

That is the point, the description, not just "good guy shang ji officer" ;)

9. Mahtamori

You don't get to be a Shang-Ji for being morally good, you get to be Shang-Ji for being militarily excellent. A Shang-Ji officer I could see work, but it'd be an officer which would be characterising the Party side of the StateEmpire, loyal to the Party, militarily excellent, and utterly contemptuous of the methods used by the ISS and the inferior White Banner. I.e. it would be a character who wouldn't break the norm but define the Invincible Army's stereotype. There is need for such things as well, and could very well work to break the twirly-moustache by setting a norm for what the Yu Jing military is and operates - but not necessarily breaking the EvilEmpire thing that people are worried the faction is slipping into.

For lack of better comparisons, it'd be that one competent Storm Trooper, who not only manages to hit their target, but also manages to not let Han Solo get away (until their back is turned due to Darth Twirly ordering them away - at which point Han Solo immediately escapes and blows up another Death Star).

Section9, Devrailis and Shiwen like this.
  10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Well-Known Member

@Warhydra - So how's this for a bit more on your cocky Korean "Pinball Wizard" Su Jian operator?

Stats: +1 PHYS, -1 WIP (compared to a standard Su Jian, to reflect those lightening reflexes, but a bit of a "slacker" attitude towards cyber-security etc. too.)

Additional specials skills: Sixth Sense Level ??? (Again this is to reflect lightening reflexes, but I'm not sure which level would be most appropriate overall - I'm going for something that's fluffy and isn't OP, but also want to balance out the below.)

Extremely Impetuous, and has a special rule - "May never be part of a Su Jian duo." (So no linking up to avoid the X Impetuous and give SS to your buddy - you don't need a partner, or to use cover either for that matter!)

I kind of think this might be an interesting, playable and non-OP alternative to a vanilla Su Jian, and with an appropriate backstory, might make for a pretty cool character. Thoughts?

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  11. Mahtamori

Why make it trump regular Su-Jian with better stats? Maybe modified abilities instead.
    Say... Twin Multi Rifle and replace Climbin+ by Super Jump. Or bump BS a point and have it have a low-Burst weapon like Missile Launcher or Rocket Launcher.

12. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

I don't think it will need a special rule for that. It's a separate unit and without special fireteam options it will be unlinkable.

13. krossaks

krossaks Well-Known Member

I love the idea of having a inspiring leadership leutinent option for the Shang Jo, but only in IA. That option on vanilla is too much ( imagine a second 10 order grups with a Su Jian, a kuang shi controler 4 kuangs and 4 Shaolins for 100 point aprox...)

xagroth likes this.
  14. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Usually characters have a "parent unit", but you are right they all specify "XXX counts as..." in those cases. However, for design purposes it's better to state even the obvious

15. 50gold

50gold New Member

Guan Yu can be the perfect YJ character, HI, melee based monster with bike.

Another candidate is Bodhidharma, the legendary monk character with only cc based stats & skills. It means new shaolin monk sculpt(and the White Banners) is needed.

16. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

I would like a new Tiger character with tactical jump. Perhaps characterized by a motivation to recover or destroy Ko Dali. We'e lost our HD superior infiltration, so it's not that outrageous anymore. Maybe give him/her some exclusive non-template kit to separate from other tigers but keep it balanced, like a MULTI rifle.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  17. stargorger

stargorger Well-Known Member

I want Mulan. The day they make Mulan for perhaps the White Banner army is the day I start playing Yu Jing. Until then I'm not interested lol >.<

Deltervees and oldGregg like this.
  18. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

I want my Mad Baron damnit!

Just put a random Von Ungern-Sternberg in there, madness runs in the family and there's so many of them you could handwave one brach having emigrated to Yu Jing.

That or the Guilang Drill Sergeant. That is the hero we need but he is too busy training Guilangs.

Shiwen and Furiat like this.
  19. Furiat

Furiat Mandarin

But wasn't he executed by the communists. Mad Baron would be awesome in mongolian sectorial tho (of course if CB creates one)

20. Shiwen

Shiwen Commissar, Yu Jing Political Work Department

Guilang training class camo-Haris nao

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation