1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Board Gams!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by Flipswitch, Apr 27, 2018.

1. sonicReducer

sonicReducer Well-Known Member

Anyone played Scythe?

2. Danger Rose

Danger Rose The Wrecking Belles

Haven't played it, but got interested in My Little Scythe. Unfortunately, I learnt from it after they redesigned it (not to infringe the My Little Pony Friendship is Magic copyright); and the My Little Pony designs for the game are no longer available.

3. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

Yes, and I love it.

KedzioR_vo likes this.
  4. sonicReducer

sonicReducer Well-Known Member

Awesome - how friendly is it for someone who isn't particularly into complicated board games? Also do you know if it's solo friendly? I read somewhere that they had solo rules written specially

5. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

I bet somebody still has the original PnP files somewhere, from what i see on the now official site the mechanics seem to be the same as on the fan mod, so just getting these and printing them would allow you to use the new game (once it's released this august) with that "skin", and i assume you can manage to get appropriate minis :smile:

Danger Rose likes this.
  6. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

You can play solo, indeed, but the game works better when there are playing 4-5 players.
    The game is not really very complicated, but it can take a little bit to "get it" because you have to choose between different actions each turn, and to achieve victory you have to develop your faction in several aspects at the same time (building, upgrading, fighting...).

sonicReducer likes this.
  7. DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair Well-Known Member

I have played it once and since then bought the game and both expansions.
    Personly i would play the hell out of it, if i had people for that.
    The sologame is nice but i wouldnt try it if you havent played it before.

Abrilete and sonicReducer like this.
  8. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I got to play a demo of a game that brought back my childhood! It's called Giga-Robo. Tons of fun with giant robots fighting each other. I got my buddy to try it out and he ended up pre-ordering it. I can't wait to play again.

I've also recently played Champions of Midgard & Alien Artifacts

#68 Space Ranger, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  9. oldGregg

oldGregg Well-Known Member

My boss just picked up the whole "Blood Red Skies" line. Apparently I'll get a game in next week, but has anyone played yet?

10. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

One of my favourite board games.
    No but my LGS is failing to sell it! because Warlord!

11. oldGregg

Ah lame!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Flipswitch

Bought Hive Pocket Edition earlier, something for me and the other half to play as she learns board games. Also quite keenly looking forward to Scythe: The Rise of Fenris.

13. oldGregg

Hive is pretty fun! At least for a little while.

I bought Blood Red Skies plus 2 boxes of mustangs and some aces. My boss bought one of everything, so we’ll be playing soon and I’ll let you know how it is.

14. Shoitaan

Shoitaan Well-Known Member

It has solo rules and good ones so that's fine. The beginner friendly one is difficult to answer. Some people consider it to close to a gateway game and you'll see a lot of people tossing up between Scythe and Catan as an entry into complex board gaming. Scythe once you know it is not complicated and you'll almost never have to consult the rule book. But teaching it to new players can still be challenging as each game goes 2 hours and it'll take probably one full game before they understand the mechanics enough to be comfortable with it. If 2-3 hours is the length of your game nights (2 for me), that can make it challenging to introduce a new player as there's a risk it will be information overload and they just wont have fun.

So in summary, it feels quite complicated the first time you play it and entirely straightforward from there on end but that first experience may be completely off putting to some people. This is assuming your not used to more involved board games of course. If you're already used to deep board games then walk in the park.

Abrilete and sonicReducer like this.
  15. oldGregg

[​IMG]

BRS P-51D Squadron + Spitfire Mk. II

Very excited to paint these!

16. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

P-51Ds should be easy to paint, they're primarily bare metal (to save a couple more lbs and reduce drag via a polished surface). If you get motivated, you can do different panels in different shades of metal. If you get really motivated, you can do the different rivets in different colors.

17. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

I have, currently, two games of Charterstone going at the moment. They've been going for a while, but that is mostly due to having 5 players in each and the difficulty in getting those 5 players together at the same time! I'm halfway through the campaign in both, as well. It's my first legacy game, so I'm not sure how much of the rules-building happens in others, but it was certainly easy to get into because the rules started out quite light (just remember to read EVERY SINGLE WORD ON EVERY CARD...TWICE). I like the art, the story just got pretty interesting, and there have been a couple surprises... so all in all, I'd recommend it.

I also wanted to point out, since can't imagine I'm the only Netrunner player on these boards, that the game will be discontinued in October. That was one hell of a card game: asymmetry, incredible mechanics, intrigue/bluffing, and an amazingly diverse setting. The Android Universe lives on, but the LCG that introduced it to so many people is having it's last world tournament this year.

Abrilete and Flipswitch like this.
  18. Flipswitch

I jumped out of Netrunner after Data & Destiny, I'm tempted to hoover up all the stuff I'm missing just to complete the set. Great game but it had a bad lull which is why I jumped ship.

19. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Picked up a copy of Farsight when I was working at the UKGE couple of weeks back.

Looks pretty mint, anyone played it, got any thoughts?

20. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Also @Aspect Graviton KSd Giant Killer Robots and yeah that game is mint.

Looooove King Wolf's Dire Laser, so cool. VWWEEEEM

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation