1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bakunin revamp: what's going, what's staying

Discussion in 'News' started by burlesford, Feb 3, 2023.

1. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

I think that trying to suggest that all the above look like this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    is not correct.

Gwynbleidd and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  2. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

I can assure you that eve Italy is flooded with the same monogram Psychoticstorm posted here above.

And Italy is where that symbol was sort of invented... Like hundreds of years ago...

3. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Dude, you're just wrong.

chromedog and Cthulhu363 like this.
  4. Camo Token

Camo Token Well-Known Member

Then it's a good thing I said nothing of the kind. But you don't seem to understand what a unicursal hexagram is and what unicursality is and how a hexagram differs from an A/M logogram. Please peruse at least Wikipedia definitions of those?

Mate, I'm not sure how to break it to you, but all of those images (very nicely pixellated, by the way) show:
    • a symbol which has a similar outline as the one on the model, but has the complete shapes of the letter and it has SERIFS and doesn't have the BREAKS in lines (indication of unicursality). It's a logogram, I don't argue that the AM is not a logogram. It's the symbol on the model that is not a logogram. It might be a mistake, but it's not one.
    • exactly just as above, only worse pixels
    • you have to be joking, this looks nothing of the kind and has clearly stylized handwritten letters
    Again, you either miss my point or you're willfully engaging in bad faith. I know what the Nomad symbol is supposed to remind us of, I agree that the goal was the AM logogram of Christianity.

The thing is that the resulting symbol is an exact match to what is defined as a unicursal hexagram, which is a category of shapes, which by chance includes the anarchist hacker symbol from Watchdogs and the occult, A/M Christian monogram inspired, Thelema (the Thelema has a different layout, I know).

TL;DR - I really like the idea that the visual design is supposed to invoke not only the Christian AM symbol, but also, by association with the shapes, anti-corporate hacker anarchism of Watchdogs and possibly a darker theme of occultism.

Not sure why you're pushing so hard against a customer's interpretation, nor based on which are you declaring "it is this, not that", as if you had a comfy place in the visual design artists head. Because I assume those are not your sculpts or designs. are they?

Tcional and csjarrat like this.
  5. Camo Token

Facts about what the symbols are constructed from are "wrong"?
    Art and symbol interpretation is "wrong" and there's only one "right" way to interpret its association and meaning?

Yeah, I understand that for people from Spain / Italy the association is strong and obvious, but it's not the only thing about this shape and when it lacks defining features but 100% matches others, you just cannot say "you're wrong" and keep pushing a singular interpretation.

Please, miss me with that prescriptivism.

Tcional likes this.
  6. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

So we are arguing why Nomads are using sans serif fonts for their logos?
    At least they are not in Comic Sans, the plague of any graphic related professional...

Dude, I'm not more sure if you are being serious or are you trolling.

Because it was largerly explained.
    Do you still see something different? Yeah, whatever. Will this render Bakunin something different? I really doubt.

So what is the meaning of this debate? Purely academical?

7. Camo Token

I'm not trolling. I just do not appreciate myopic and limited interpretations of symbols. Especially when obvious design implications are finally something quite interesting and intelligent in Infinity fluff.

If that's purely academical - sure, maybe. Nothing wrong with trying to explain intricacies of how symbols are construed and how their meaning is informed by their shapes and components.

I may have prolonged it too far, since it clearly wasn't interesting to or even went above some people's heads.

Tcional likes this.
  8. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

For information here, there was a discovery guide about the Bakunin starter pack on the Techraptor blog.
    https://techraptor.net/tabletop/guides/infinity-bakunin-guide

Infinity Bakunin Observance Guide - By: Adam Potts

burlesford and Golem2God like this.
  9. Tristan228

Tristan228 Bakunin's best Morlock trainer
    Warcor

This is my low effort* Daemonist Observant proxy build:
    20230328_211532.jpg

*) Actually not. Who am I trying to kid? :grin:

10. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Looks good.

Golem2God and Tristan228 like this.
  11. Noir Kara

Noir Kara Member

This trope has been explored, waaay back! https://boardgamegeek.com/image/530039/renegade-nuns-wheels

Jumara likes this.
  12. Noir Kara

Noir Kara Member

A setting? Yes that’s one point, but the actual creation of games without casualty markers other than clean little tokens is another contribution. I think that even in cyberpunk there is room for the dead. 31B5FB10-4D57-44F7-A000-7AD3457F4098.jpeg

13. Tcional

Tcional Nomad Taskmaster
    Warcor

It totally went over my head, because I don't know enough about symbolism and was never really digging too hard into it anywhere.

BUT, I do love reading about such stuff occasionally and I find your argument for the unicursal hexagram very logical and solid. It seems that the other gentlemen found themselves dug in on the AM symbol, but the unison in spanish/italian symbols presented here is very solid and also very different from what we can see on the new Observance. Also love the Watch Dogs 2 relation. It ties everything together very neatly, showing both religious feature and fight against the AI.

Abrilete and Camo Token like this.
  14. Camo Token

Very glad you see and enjoy the connection! It does tie it all up neatly, doesn't it? :)

I'd like to think this was done on purpose and it's a wink-wink-nudge from the faction and miniature designer as well as the painter, especially considering the "we're all gamers here, you know Watch Dogs 2, right?" angle. The times where there's a mutual understanding between the design team and fans are the most enjoyable to me.

Tcional likes this.
  15. Tcional

Tcional Nomad Taskmaster
    Warcor

Indeed, it does! I've never played Watch Dogs myself, but I get clear idea and love the connection as you described it! And I do love references in all kinds of work (no wonder, Borderlands 2 is one of my favourite games)

Camo Token likes this.
  16. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

CornerCase has released a video reaction.

So Infinity Bakunin Is Rolling With Demons Now Lol #infinitythegame #oga

And a unboxing by ash from Guerrilla.

GMG Reviews - Observance Action Pack Miniatures by Corvus Belli

#736 Wizzy, Mar 31, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
    burlesford and Savnock like this.
  17. Savnock

Savnock Nerfherder

Corner Case are pretty great: I like their ability to get super hype about releases while still offering interesting good insight/commentary. [Also like their vids a lot more now that they leave the speech natural and don't do chunky edits inside sentences.]

- He makes good points about the way the Daemonist is evolving the visual style of the line. Also cool speculation about the daemon model fluff (though I disagree and think it's probably a rogue AI embodied, not a crazed Sin-Eater endstage... though that is a really interesting idea, definitely cooler.

- Good point about the old Uberfall models being a decent purchase, given that you'll be able to field 3 units of them. But man oh man that should come with a warning: these models are probably the most difficult Infinity model I've ever assembled. They are NOT EASY to glue together, tiniest contact points ever on lot of things that stick right out. So anyone new to the faction, snap up a box if you love Eclipse smoke super-skirmishers but definitely figure on 2 hours to assemble!

Jumara, bladerunner_35 and csjarrat like this.
  18. Gwynbleidd

Gwynbleidd Non asto coram malo

:open_mouth: I’m away for a few months and everything goes crazy. Apparently Bakunin went grim dark, there’s a new resin in town and there’s all manner of conspiracy theories running rampant.

Did I miss anything else? Was there cake?

19. Tcional

Tcional Nomad Taskmaster
    Warcor

My box came together pretty easy at first try. Over the past 5 years I just had problems with Fox's tails and Ram's horn. I would always suggest proper fitting before glueing and not using too much glue. Old Cassandra Kusanagi was hell though... Cloak was in 4 parts all coming together in a single contact point made you glue them all at the same time.

20. anubis

anubis sarcastic exaggerator

*panics* HUSSSHHHHHHH don´t mention that! Did you not read the last 37 pages? There were at least 5 more pages bannished by the mods just referencing this artstyle (in the friendly and rational manner that this forum is so well knowen for)

I remember myself inventing some very colorful curses while assembling. It´s not Gao-Tarsos level of "I want to throw this sh** into a corner and leave it there to rot!", but it comes close. But the modells are some of the most beautiful and well-aged in the whole nomad range (and iconic aswell)

I also remember old kusanagi. Surprisingly the needlepin thin point u balance to whole modell on is not the worst thing when assembling the modell. There is no question, that CB made it way more easy to glue the little puppets together over the last few years. One has just to compare the old and new Ekdromoi.

Time Bandit likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation