1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apologies by Dragonstriker

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by Dragonstriker, Aug 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

I always, personally, favor cookies, biscuits, and shortbreads. Easier to transport, easier to store, etc.

LeeroyVinland likes this.
  2. Ashen_Seeker

Ashen_Seeker Well-Known Member

Mold Pie/cake, anyone? (the name is a moniker given by my friends)

it is simply dough (butter, sugar and flour) with ricotta and chocolate mixed together on top

3. A Mão Esquerda

We do something similar, but with American style cream cheese mixed with confectioners sugar, fruit over that, then a gelatin glaze.

Ashen_Seeker and LeeroyVinland like this.
  4. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Yeah, no... I've met many users of this forum IRL and I have nothing but positive things to say about them. So I don't actually like that you're implying that people who enjoy the forum are toxic and unreasonable people.

Furthermore:

[​IMG]

This meme above. This meme is all around discord servers, facebook groups etc. and it is used as a mocking example of why people avoid the forums. The ENTIRE meme template was based on you. You alone.
    You are actually, quite literally, the posterchild example of why the forums have a bad reputation, yet somehow you're trying to do an Eric Cartman maneuver to go around and say, actually, it's everyone else's fault.
    These forums, for all their flaws, are NOT an echo chamber. We have people who are called "fanbois" of CB and people who are on the totally other end of the spectrum, that's the entire point of a discussion forum. .

5. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

6. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

To be fair the author of that document also decided to use me as a posterchild of all that is wrong with the forums at one point too. Unlike saving discontinued factions in N4, getting Corregador re-sculpted, and protecting the downtrodden on the internet, making this place so entertainingly noxious is a team effort.

#86 the huanglong, Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  7. A Mão Esquerda

We are all what is wrong and right-ish with the forums.

ev0k and the huanglong like this.
  8. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

May I direct your attention to the moderation at the RPG.net forum. That is exactly what they do. When I returned to RPGs after several decades off, I looked around for RPG forums. Well, I found that place. It is Orwellian to say the least. I'm still looking for a quality RPG forum.

Anyway, stop trying to derail this thread. This thread is the designated chatbox thread for food talk now, since we don't have any real news from CB about which to kibbitz, and probably won't get any for a while. Maybe Bostria gives us a mid-month update video?

Cookies came up? Okay then. I've been enjoying lemon sugar cookies this Summer. in the Spring, it was soft and chewy molasses cookies. But for Autumn, what? suggestions welcomed. I'm not crazy into baking, but I do like cookies, and I don't like store bought cookies. Too many questionable ingredients to make them shelf stable. Also, bland.

The cake may be a lie, but the cookies never are. However...

Do you like Carrot Cake? Here's a nice carrot layer cake recipe
    GATHER YOUR INGREDIENTS

Cake
    1 3⁄4 cups (8 3/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1⁄2 teaspoon salt
    1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1 1⁄4 cups (8 3/4 ounces) light brown sugar
    3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
    3 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 2⁄3 cups shredded carrots (4 carrots)
    2⁄3 cups dried currants

Frosting
    16 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

3 cups (12 ounces)confectioners' sugar
    1⁄3 cup buttermilk powder
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1⁄4 teaspoon salt
    12 ounces cream cheese, chilled and cut into 12 equal pieces
    2 cups (8 ounces) pecans, toasted and chopped coarse

BEFORE YOU BEGIN
    Shred the carrots on the large holes of a box grater or in a food processor fitted
    with the shredding disk. Do not substitute liquid buttermilk for the buttermilk
    powder. To ensure the proper spreading consistency for the frosting, use cold
    cream cheese. If your baked cake is of an uneven thickness, adjust the orientation
    of the layers as they are stacked to produce a level cake. Assembling this cake on
    a cardboard cake round trimmed to a 6 by 8-inch rectangle makes it easy to press
    the pecans onto the sides of the frosted cake.

FOR THE CAKE: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350
    degrees. Grease 18 by 13-inch rimmed baking sheet, line with parchment paper,
    and grease parchment. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon,
    nutmeg, salt, and cloves together in large bowl.

Transfer batter to prepared baking sheet and smooth surface with offset spatula.
    Bake until center of cake is firm to touch, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool in pan on wire
    rack for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto wire rack (do not remove parchment) and
    then reinvert onto second wire rack. Cool cake completely, about 30 minutes.

FOR THE FROSTING: Using stand mixer fitted with paddle, beat butter, sugar,
    buttermilk powder, vanilla, and salt on low speed until smooth, about 2 minutes,
    scraping down bowl as needed. Increase speed to medium-low; add cream
    cheese, 1 piece at a time; and mix until smooth, about 2 minutes.

Transfer cooled cake to cutting board, parchment side down. Using sharp chef’s
    knife, cut cake and parchment in half crosswise and then lengthwise to make 4
    equal rectangles, about 6 by 8 inches each.

Place 6 by 8-inch cardboard rectangle on cake turntable or plate. Place 1 cake
    rectangle, parchment side up, on cardboard and carefully remove parchment.
    Using offset spatula, spread 2/3 cup frosting evenly over cake layer. Repeat with
    two more layers of cake, frosting each layer with 2/3 cup frosting and pressing
    gently on each layer to level. Place last rectangle of cake on top and frost top of
    cake with 1 cup frosting. Use remaining frosting to coat sides of cake. (It’s fine if
    some crumbs show through frosting on sides, but if you go back to smooth top of
    cake, be sure that spatula is free of crumbs.)

Hold cake with 1 hand and gently press chopped pecans onto sides with other
    hand. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.

To Make Ahead: The cake may be refrigerated for up to 24 hours before serving.

You can omit the pecans, but I wouldn't. You can omit the currants, or substitute raisins, or something similar. You don't need a stand mixer, a hand mixer will do. Pro tip; always use the flour weight, not the volume.

#88 Red Harvest, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Ashen_Seeker and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  9. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Hey kids, it's time for a HATE SYMBOL

[​IMG]

csjarrat, Dragonstriker, fari and 2 others like this.
  10. A Mão Esquerda

Snickerdoodles are one of our family go tos.

Red Harvest likes this.
  11. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

You've literally grabbed the image that comes up as "triskele" Google Images search. Where is it's being used as an example of a triskele? On a Polish radical nationalist / neonazi site, for example:

https://m.nacjonalista.pl/2019/02/15/tradycja-europy-triskelion/

And this

upload_2020-8-31_6-1-45.png

is SO DIFFERENT from this (flipped to match the unit symbol), especially in the context of "Russian paramilitary organization" and the neonazi / white supremacist band of the same name.

upload_2020-8-31_6-6-9.png upload_2020-8-31_6-7-46.png

Keep licking the boot, toadies. Has to be tasty, I guess.

12. A Mão Esquerda

SWIRLY!!!

Dragonstriker likes this.
  13. A Mão Esquerda

Did did did... did you not have the cheesecake? How about the gelato? You know, if those seem too rich for you at the moment, maybe something simple like a macaroon? Or a madeleine?

14. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

MUST. HAVE. MORE. HATE. SYMBOLS.

[​IMG]

15. Teleute

Teleute RM100 Pilot

Dude, come on. First, you're being baited. You know this. Nothing producive is going to come out of this. Second, they posted the round triskele which is primarily a celtic symbol. Even when flipped. Like, that swirly boy is used by some of the most left-leaning hippy neo-pagan groups in the West. Shout out to my favorite Galician celtic band, Luar na Lubra, who I think I remember selling t-shirts with it. Espiral was a great album, well worth a calm down listen.

You might have had a point if they were posting the sharp version (https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/triskele). One could argue that symbols resembling that might be objectionable, almost certainly unintentionally. But there is no racist intent here. The only one they are trying to mess with here is you. More so, this is already moderator banned territory. A reasonable conversation isn't to be had. The best thing to do here is to step off. Heck, even if you think staying is fighting the good fight, pick your battles. Even if you don't set anyone to ignore, just ignore this thread, step back, and let this cake-themed train wreak peter out.

#95 Teleute, Aug 31, 2020
    RolandTHTG and MikeTheScrivener like this.
  16. Nuada Airgetlam

Swirly, rounded "Celtic" designs were explicitly excluded by me multiple times. I know the triskelion is yet another heritage / cultural symbol that's being abused by the neoNazis. The whole point is Triumph is presenting the swirly in absolute bad faith and conflating it with the neonazi totally-not-swastikas of various shape and form, as an attempt to diminish the perception of the Volkolak unit patch beign anything close to the nazi hooked triskele.

The chief problem is that this is the exact same argument actual neonazis are using to defend their totally-not-swastika symbols in courts and press, gaslighting the public opinion et al. Those kinds of bad faith arguments need to be challenged or the perception of "this is just a normal symbol and nothing suspicious is happening here" will be established and the neonazi symbols will be normalized. This has already happened in Poland, especially with the Sonnenrad ("just a Slavic heritage symbol, nothing to see") or the White Power cross ("just a Catholic cross, nothing to see").

I have literal torch-lit neonazi marches walking in thousands of people under such symbols and flags in the streets of Warsaw, my home city. That's where my concern and anger are coming from, those fuckers are not some imagined threat for me. They are an actual physical threat on the streets I walk, in the commute fares I ride, in the shops I buy my food at, etc.

The English-speaking wargaming community is still pushing back against this fascist propaganda, thankfully. But here the pushback and mockery are going mostly in the other direction and that's what's worrying me.

If you know they're baiting me, why won't you tell them to knock it off, instead of asking me "don't get baited"?

That was the premise of my original Volkolak unit thread, the closed one. The sharp red-over-black fashy take on this symbol was objectionable. Not the swirly.

Appreciate the concern and the honesty, really. But what I'd appreciate more, since you clearly see this is a troll dogpile, would be telling them off, instead of laughing with them and then "trying to level with me", once I'm on the ground, being kicked and spat on by group of several laughing guys.

Skippaye and Xeurian like this.
  17. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Is Eric Cartman the victim again?

18. Nuada Airgetlam

Honestly, fuck off already.

#98 Nuada Airgetlam, Aug 31, 2020
    Teleute likes this.
  19. Teleute

Teleute RM100 Pilot

I actually agree with a lot of your points about symbols, as I mentioned in the previous thread. Fascistic and racist imagery, intentionally or not, can make gaming spaces unwelcoming for many players. And military themed games are def more likely to end up using such symbols, intentionally or not, since military symbolism often leans in that direction. This can seep into the player base as well, or even be capitalized upon by fascistic-leaning newcomers. Heck, awful 40k players leaning hard into "all glory to mah emrah" is practically a trope at this point. But that was the topic of the last thread. This one is squarely aimed at you, or more specifically at trolling and provoking you, with a side of plausible deniability cake.

I believe it is worth talking about symbols and the messages they send. Conversations are worth having, particularly with open and well-meaning participants. That isn't what this thread is. Another poster mentioned RPG.net. I wish this was RPG.net. This thread and the targeted trolling would have been closed fast. But this forum is not moderated frequently and this thing keeps going. I wasn't kidding by calling it a cake fueled train wreak. There is no point to it other than, at best, catharsis for folks who dislike you and, at worst, pure vindictive mean-spiritedness. I doubt I could convince the op and others to stop since they are getting exactly the thread they want but I hope you can step away. Even if it feels like you're being kicked and spat on. There isn't much point in trying to talk with the folks kicking and spitting on you while they're doing it.

EDIT: Also, I'm totally serious about Luar na Lubre. They make me want to give all my CHA guys Galician kilts. Distraction isn't the cure to an aweful experience but it ain't nothing. We all have better things to do than keep this thread going.

#99 Teleute, Aug 31, 2020
  20. Koni

Koni BanHammer
    CB Staff

You really have a lot of free time, it seems.

@Dragonstriker & @Nuada Airgetlam

Put on ignore each other right now. Next interaction between you two will result on a ban for each one. It's enough of this.

Croepoek, helsbecter, Smiler and 17 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation