1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else hate the little t-rex arms on manned TAGs?

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Dingobattler, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

These are two separate things, guys.
    1. World realism, or at least world realism as we see it. "If YJ can make MHRCs small enough to fit their Yan Huo, why aren't they eqipping their Guijas with it?"
    2. Game-building requirements and ideas. Apparently CB decided it is not a good idea to give a Guija a HMRC, although it seems to us it would be plausible. I guess they came to a conclusion it would unbalance the Guija somehow (perhaps by making it too similar to some other TAG).

Abrilete likes this.
  2. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

More broadly, why can't you give any infantry unit any gun you want? Like, I can bring a Govad with an HMG and a Muyib with a Spitfire, but I can't just have them trade weapons if I want the Muyib to have an HMG. The whole business of tying specific (very common) guns to specific unit types feels pretty artificial.

More realistic would probably be to give units and weapons separate points costs and let us mix-and-match, but that would be a fundamental design change and I doubt any of us wants that. So we just have to live with weird inexplicable weapons choice limitations.

3. Devil_Tiger

Devil_Tiger Your Friendly Neighborhood Asura

FAT1 is fair enough, but they didn't have that outside of ITS until fairly recently, so the HMG on a Anaconda was the same as the one on a fusillier, which is all sort of stupid. TAG should have their own categories of weaponry. But then i guess i've always been a fan of smaller mechs like those of Heavy Gear or the Landmates/Armoured Suits from Shirow mangas, so when i see Infinity TAGs in game i always feel a bit of disappointment. I don't feel it would be that hard to make them more interesting in general.

Dragonstriker and Xeurian like this.
  4. darthchapswag

darthchapswag Shandian Strike Team

I mentioned this idea in a different thread but I feel it bears saying here:

Nothing other than servo-armour "true" HI and TAGs should be able to carry and fire HMGs.

Gives you an instant distinction between heavy and light units, helps redefine HI as mobile resilient heavy weapon platforms, reduces HMG (especially linked) as a game dominating weapon option, and means you can avoid a lot of the cognitive dissonance.

5. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

Additional weapon load outs might make TAGs dangerously appealing and after all these years, and that's just not in the cards. They are long range weapon platforms and anything else is rank heresy.

As to why 'anything' isn't on anything you care to name is due to logistics. Given the near screams of rage now about why model X isn't available when it clearly is the most popular thing of all time, can you imagine layering on the shrill cheeps and chirps of combination effects? That's game logistics. Then there is the so-called immersive aspect. Which requires there to be contract offers, bidding, prototype screw ups, shortages, and recalls. Never mind mission profiles, combat roles and current and evolving tactical doctrins. That is why your Guija can't have a double barrel missile launcher.

:D

Solodice likes this.
  6. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Infinity infantry carries HMG at best, while TAGs have the Multi HMG (hint: Non-Lootable). OTOH, yeah, maybe LI/MI should only have Spitfires/MK12/etc (LMG & MMG), leaving HMG for HI and other powered units (humanoid REMs, eg).

You forgot to specify training. Best explanation for 10 soldiers from 10 different units not swapping weapons before an Infinity mission.

7. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I think in this specific case the Guijia is simply an old unit that existed before Yu Jing was meant to have HRMC among their weapons, and it hasn't gotten updated since and is now locked in due to the miniature.
    This of course doesn't stop them from upping the TAG guns to a new grade that has no infantry equivalent due to how freaking huge the TAG guns are, but you'd still look at a machine gun for the Guijia.

Xeurian likes this.
  8. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

Or why they form super efficient fire teams at the same time? I mean, aside from half a decade of crabbing about it.\

If it makes anyone feel better, apparently there's a lot of that in the SoF community. :P

#68 Papa Bey, Jul 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Mob of Blondes likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation