1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Iron Testudo: Roman Themed Steel Phalanx

Discussion in 'ALEPH' started by Golem2God, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

Agreed so the Trojan descendants take would fit in perfectly. Plus having the aspects who received the honor titles of famous ancient Romans would/could be a mixture of reality & pop culture depictions of each historical character in personality & looks.

I'd imagine Commodus #161192 starting out as a Thorakitai who longs for the gladiator games of Aristeia instead of being a backline grunt for the Phalanx. Perhaps Aleph would allow him to live his dream and participate in some Aristeia matches to promote Aleph's image and the Testudo as a whole. I can see him shouting at the top of his lungs to the crowd and veiwers at home after a victory, "Are you not entertained?!" Which in turn would cause a massive applause to be uttered in the stadium. All the while Commy would wave, bask, drink-in the fame and love he so desperately wants with unbridled glee.
    Think Gladiator's depiction of Commodus plus the real deal with an Infinity twist. Though he is not mad with power just longs for the recognition of his comrades and the populous around the Sphere.

stevenart74 likes this.
  2. Nemo No Name

Nemo No Name Aleph Cultural Atache

I'm not sure the bad legends are ones Aleph would go for. But sure, whatever you like :)

stevenart74 and Golem2God like this.
  3. Golem2God

Well since they are not recreations but like the Homeridae they're normal soldiers who have earned a nickname/title that benefits their personality or a feat they accomplished. In Commodus' case the other members of the Testudo began calling him Commodus since his desire to fight in the arena as a gladiator reminded them of the ancient emperor of Rome. Julius Caesar #10045 became known as such when his cube survived a battle in which his Lhost was hit 28 times. The exact number of times Caesar was stabbed to death. Since his cube miraculously survived he became known as Caesar. And that is two examples of how the aspects get their new names.

The number code of each character is their production # of the order they were produced. What these numbers actually are is the birthdate and death of each historical Roman the aspect is named after. The birthdate goes first then the death date afterwards. So Mark Antony's is #8330 because the real Antony was born in 83 B.C. and he died in 30 B.C.

stevenart74 likes this.
  4. Nemo No Name

Nemo No Name Aleph Cultural Atache

Yeah, I get it, but they could just go with Spartacus to make him a more likeable historical example?

Although apparently Comodus wasn't that bad actually, he just got some bad reputation due to first biographer not liking him. :D

In any case, it's your head-canon and as far as I can tell, it's close enough to existing lore. :)

stevenart74 and Golem2God like this.
  5. Golem2God

Good points. Well Spartacus was an enemy of Rome until the very end so I would think the Roman themed force wouldn't pick that name for one of their own. Having an aspect being named Maximus is much more likely to happen than Spartacus.
    I also think that the Tesudo would over time become more like the military culture they are trying to emulate. Their disgust for the Phalanx would morph into a feeling of superiority that still fits in with their drive to outdo the Grecians as Roma did on Earth.
    I'm certainly trying to keep it within the lore of Infinity since making projects lore friendly really drive my creativity both hobby & story-wise.

stevenart74 likes this.
  6. Golem2God

Good news. Today my order from Puppetswar came. I'll be placing another order with them in the future but first I need to procure some caledonian kilts. I'll post a picture of a converted model or two when I finally have all the pieces in front of me.

stevenart74 and Regnator like this.
  7. Golem2God

I had an interesting idea that is not important in the project's overall scheme but it could be a nice addition to the force.

Concerning remotes I'm more than fine on using actual remotes whether Aleph or another faction's design. However, it accrued to me that since the Romans used war dogs in their campaigns why not use Antipodes as canine remotes armed with back/shoulder mounted weapons?
    So for example,
    DALETH Rebot Combi Rifle, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 17)
    SAMEKH Rebot Smart Missile Launcher / Electric Pulse. (1.5 | 18)
    ZAYIN Rebot HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 26)
    PROBOT (Total Reaction, Repeater) Combi Rifle / Electric Pulse. (0 | 21)
    LAMEDH Rebot Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    PROBOT (Minesweeper, Repeater) Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    PROBOT Hacker (EVO Hacking Device) Electric Pulse. (0.5 | 25)
    Group one consists of the weapon remotes which would be an Antipode with a HMG/Missile Launcher/Large Combi Rifle strapped on their backs hanging over their shoulder. Group two are the weaponless remotes which are sniffers & mineclearers. These can be normal Antipodes without any weapons on their person. Each Antipode model would have some attachment on their body to represent a control device since the models' huge manes make sculpting a collar nearly impossible. I was also thinking of using smaller Earth dogs for Yudbots though I love the remote servants' design.

As I stated above I'm fine with using high-tech remotes and palbots for this force but I wanted to see and gauge the response of the forum members to see if this is a good or bad idea of mine. What are your thoughts on this? Should I use different canine models instead of the Antipodes? If so which models from which range/company do you suggest?

8. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

Did the romans use trained war dogs? To me, stuff like trebuchet, ballista, etc come to mind, even if the scale won't fit.

Maybe just add some cogwheels to the existing REMs to give them a steampunkish look?

And what about some chariot (without horses) for the sophotect?

9. Golem2God

They did and well as the powers that they fought against.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molossus_(dog)
    http://www.romeacrosseurope.com/?p=2634#sthash.FpB9ZMfZ.dpbs
    I think that I would use remotes if the Antipode/Dire Wolf idea doesn't pan out. Currently I have no plans to expand into OSS Aleph. It will take awhile to build this small Romish force. Which of CB's remote designs do you think would fit best for a Roman themed force?

oldGregg likes this.
  10. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

I don't know if it is the best, but Tractor Muls with Roman Helmets ontop of that sensor-balls would look awesome!

Besides that, the rebots and the old haq remotes look the most like alive/animals, while still being obviously mechanical.

Golem2God likes this.
  11. Golem2God

That is true. The problem would be tracking some of them down for a good price. Do you have anyplace that might have them still for sale?

12. Golem2God

I found a few old Haqq remotes on ebay and fewer old rebots on there. However I'll have to test out which path to take concerning which remotes I'll use (canine or mechanical). Traktor Muls are possible if I get them cheaper than normal but it seems a trail & error run might be required to see what is needed.

13. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

Well, not cheap, but...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jherazob and Golem2God like this.
  14. Golem2God

Agreed. The Su Jian fits the idea I'm thinking of perfectly with the shoulder mounted weapon. If I can replicate that then Romulus' estranged furry family could be romping across the table. If not then no major loss in the longrun.

15. Cypherkk

Cypherkk Member

It depends on how deep you want to go, model wise. But heads from puppetswar roman are small enough they should fit the infinity models pretty well. I got some and they are a bit small for space marines. They also have leather strip tabbards, I haven't gotten any but they might work as well.

Maybe I'll see if I have a spare Infinity model somewhere and convert a head so we can see how they fit.

Golem2God likes this.
  16. Golem2God

That would be nice to see. Where are these leather tabbards you speak of? The only ones I saw were Puppetswar's Centurion H.I. Infantry bodies.

17. Kir

Kir Well-Known Member

Why did aleph pick penthesilea, then? Surely her story only puts achilles in a bad light..

Golem2God likes this.
  18. Golem2God

Speaking of remote designs I found these non-CB remotes that Puppetswar and Anvil industries offer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What do you forum members think of these designs? Is it a good idea to use one or parts of these models for remotes?

19. Cypherkk

Cypherkk Member

I gave it a try. the roman heads, seem a little big for non-HI infinity models. So while they might look fine on Achilles, general myrmadons would be a bit small at least until they are re-sculpted. The website has changed recently and it looks like some bits and things have been removed. My guess is they discontinued them.

Golem2God likes this.
  20. Golem2God

The bits are being resculpted and they are being rereleased. New parts are being released as well over time.

I have also done some head placements with the Roman heads and they fit fine on the newer sculpts. But you are right about the older ones. Smaller bodies and proportions do not go together with the size of most conversion bits. Just like how Statuesque's female heads only fit on female Infinity models if the size is Pulp. Though Fine sized does work especially with the older sculpts.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation