1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Iron Testudo: Roman Themed Steel Phalanx

Discussion in 'ALEPH' started by Golem2God, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

That does sound plausible. I'll look into that as well. Perhaps make the Thorakitai Roman Auxiliaries & the Myrmidons as Legionaries. Plus there are other possibilities concerning what base models and historical units go together.

stevenart74 likes this.
  2. Golem2God

The more I think about it I might see if I can find some Gladiator helmets that I like before giving up on the idea.

stevenart74 likes this.
  3. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

Aleph_sizes.jpg

With apologies for differently-primed, part painted models, and potato quality photography, I think these do still give a good idea about what's going on with the different model sizes. Left to right: Ajax, Drakios, Dactyl, Myrmidon.

jherazob and Golem2God like this.
  4. Golem2God

It is more than fine Wolf thank you. Seems there is not much difference between a Dactyl and a Myrmidon. Glad that it turned out that way. Now I can order some heads and see how the fitting goes. Then the planning, building & painting come afterward. Do you have any suggestion of what I should buy first?

stevenart74 likes this.
  5. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

I'm fairly sure that Dactyl is slightly larger - at least 5-10%, but I'm sorry it's hard to tell with that different priming (it's like an exercise a master photographer would give his apprentice, to find lighting that works for both black and white models) but I'm sure the Myrmidon is definitely 'more spindly-erer' as professional sculptors might say. :wink:

Nope. But allow me to offer the benefit of my age and experience from an older man to a younger man, if I may?
    When you don't know the answer to something, just ask someone else who does.
    (And if they don't know, ask them if they know someone else who does!)

So maybe get yourself over to the modelling sub-forum, and perhaps ask @pyschoticstorm to move this thread there, since it's really about modelling. In my limited experienced of them, I found them a very welcoming bunch; I'm sure they can help you out.

(And for the record, I'm the guy you asked who also didn't know, but had a clue about where you might find someone who does :smile:)

Golem2God and Káosz Brigodéros like this.
  6. Káosz Brigodéros

Káosz Brigodéros Vanguard, Inc.

You can't go wrong with Myrmidon box, for sure.
    I strongly suggest playing around with Army Builder first and figure out what you would play before you start depleting your vallet.
    I am not sure if the 300 box is available, but I recall it was fairly cheap and a good buy to start.

Golem2God likes this.
  7. Golem2God

I have been but heads are first on my current list. Models later.
    Wise words of wisdom. I shall remember them always.
    Maybe when I actually start making conversions I'll do that. Right now I'm buying things before any thread moving is done.

Káosz Brigodéros likes this.
  8. FelipeMor

FelipeMor Well-Known Member

I don't know if it has been suggested or not, but for Ajax the new Maximus form arysteia! is perfect for this idea. Check the heads and shields from scibor too, if you could, I think they fit nicely. And how do I know that? I'm doing a force based on the old greeks, so... heh

Golem2God and Wolf like this.
  9. Golem2God

Any posts or updates that you can share?
    Maximus might be a nice model to use. I'll revisit the pic and see how he looks.
    [​IMG]
    How would this model work out? What suggestions do you propose in order to make it more Roman?

stevenart74 likes this.
  10. stevenart74

stevenart74 Well-Known Member

Maxiumus could be easy enough to customize. . .

While Roman Legions ranks of infantrymen employed the "Pilum" long-spiked Javelins (far more suited to be launched at close ranges at enemies, to perforate and pin their shields) rather than those kind of "Phalanx Spear" there were instances of Soldiers employing the "Hasta" more traditional Polearm (employed by far rarer "Cataprhactii" heavy armoured knights of Greek / Asian origins) , especially Praetorian Guards acting as bodyguards for the late emperors. . .

The main issue would be the round "Leonidas' Spartans" shield, to substitute with "Vanilla Maxiums" kind of rectangular "Slab of Metal" far more resembling the traditional protections of Roman Legions (far more apt would be some kind of properly proportioned "Modern Riot Police" shields, but I fear there will be NOT easy conversions, difficult to find and more easy to cut a plastic cardboard, sagomated to be a portion of flat cylinder). . .

Rather than a "Medieval Round Pauldron" the shoulder area would have similar flatly "Cylindrical Halves" of Armour

While a Legionary typically wore the "Banded-Mail Breastplate" made of intelocked strips of metal, some High Ranking Generals had solid piece of Torso Protections shaped and sagomated to simulate a sturdy, muscular sculpted physique of an Olympic Athlete. . .

It will be easy to JUST paint the whole "Naked Torso" in Metallic Colours (I will counsel some kind of "Brassy Gold" shades, rather than "Silvery" stainless steel, but everything could work) with just SOME joints painted to show it is rather a sculpted breastplate rather than naked skin. . .

"Equitatus" Cavalry officer had similarly shaped head crests, along with some era "Squad Legionnaires" but quite imposing was a horizontally positioned "Fur Helm Crest" that helped rear rank troops see, on the battlefield confusion, where was their Centurion "Team Sergeants" to follow. . .

There are some more "Small Visual Cues" that would help further "Romanize" that (and other) Miniature, but will be too lenghty and verbose to describe, maybe I would rather try to draw something quickly in Photoshop when I have the time (and Work Issues are NOT strangling Me). . .

As for "Conversion Bits" the "Command Squad Elites" of the "Asterte Ultramarines" of Warhammer 40.000 had some decisively "Roman Legion" vibe to them, but I don't know if proportions are good or not. . .

. . . . .

While RELATIVELY costly, acquiring TWO Maximus (one the Thermopylae and the other the "Space Knight" vanilla one) would offer ENOUGH peices to share between them to "Romanize" effectively TWO center-pieces of a Roman themed squad of A.L.E.P.H. troopers. . .

While some "Small Bits" of conversion would all that is needed to transform "Greek" Myrmydons into something MORE Legionnary, the "Naked Arms" characters, like Scylla or EVEN from Vedic Troopers (like Male Deva Functionnaires) would be very good to slightly tweak, as the OTHER famous kind of Ancient Rome kind of Fighters: Arena Gladiators !!!

Golem2God likes this.
  11. Golem2God

Possible. I'll see what I can do.
    Good news is that there are riot shield conversion parts on certain sites. So finding some wouldn't be a problem.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

stevenart74 likes this.
  12. Golem2God

I recently foudn this picture that showcases Maximus' height compared to the rest of the Infinity line.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I think I'll only need one since he would be my Ajax. He is as big as a small T.A.G.!!

#32 Golem2God, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    stevenart74 likes this.
  13. stevenart74

stevenart74 Well-Known Member

Well, the IMMENSE size of Maximus is logical if we check some parts of His background that hints a Heavy-Duty Lhost Body (I think an Industrial Frame repurposed rather than a Combat Unit designed from start) that THEN wear a Powered Armour made from DISCARDED Pan-Oceania Exoskeleton Parts. . .

I will consider Him a sort of "Cyborg Blackjack / Ratnik" but repurposed for Close Combat; not only could clearly PROXY as an Ajax, but EVEN Achilles or a Marut for Your "Listbuilding" Purposes. . .

Just try to find some kind of spare H.M.G. to strap on his Back (the Guijia one could be too lenghty and cumbersome, maybe with a shortened barrell. . .!!) and it will be good to represent all manners of Spitfires, Red Furies, Grenade Launchers / Machineguns Combi and other "Heavy Duty" stuff available to A.L.E.P.H. "Heavy Hitters". . . . .!!!

Golem2God likes this.
  14. Golem2God

Sounds like a plan. I found a Maximus on sale and might pick it up now. I also ordered the Puppetswar Roman heads but they will at least take around 1-2 weeks to reach me.

stevenart74 likes this.
  15. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

And for those Netrods:
    [​IMG]

16. FelipeMor

FelipeMor Well-Known Member

Wow. I mean, just... wow. Perfect netrod!

Golem2God likes this.
  17. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Brilliant!!!

Golem2God likes this.
  18. Golem2God

@daszul @FelipeMor @Section9 Something seems to be wrong with the image as it is appearing blank. From the pic's address the picture is supposed to be the SPQR Eagle for the Netrods for the Roman Phalanx correct?

19. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Yup!

Golem2God likes this.
  20. Golem2God

@Section9 Then I'd say absolutely. It would fit the theme perfectly. Thank you @daszul @FelipeMor for helping in pointing this out.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation