1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An idea and discussion about roll-based deployment skills

Discussion in 'Rules suggestions' started by WiT?, Feb 23, 2022.

1. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

My only big reservation to most of the ideas floated on this theme is that I think the DZ should be sacrosanct during deployment simply because of the nature of the units that can be placed there and how it often robs the player of the ability to do anything about it. Almost no list can protect itself against the proper IMPs when they go first which just skews the game so the heavy drawback of failing the WIP 15 roll is the only thing keeping them in any thing remotely in check atmĀ“.

2. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

Wouldnt mind Imp not requiring a roll and just being able to deploy up to the DZ. Because of the 2 discovery rolls necessary I think it's fair to keep them out of the DZ. Just lost horribly blowing orders on failing to discover when I should have succeeded. Another thread mentioned discover should be repeatable, i agree on that too.

Abrilete likes this.
  3. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

I think this could push certain archetypes too much. Like infiltrator spam, its very effective and then it would also have about half of its infiltrators on rooftops in your table half, chaffing your half with mines, or on the edge of your DZ ready to attack. Yikes

100% agree. I feel that impersonation into the DZ is one of the rules in the game I like the least and would not be sad to see it go.

I'm less inclined to agree on the entire DZ being immune - ie, parachutist (dep.zone) can be a reasonable skill. Not a fan of a fucking werewolf having it lol, but I think that this skill is fine.

I thought the idea was that the model must attempt to land at the original point? If not, there is an incentive have models fail this skill and so be able to attack from any point in a later turn and that feels pretty weird.

Abrilete likes this.
  4. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

Good point mentioning the mines, I should have added in my suggested rules, that before rolling for deployment place any deployable that one would like to and are allowed and if the deployment roll is failed they should be lost but the models go back to their starting positions. Bow I think its fully fair.

5. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

Oh, then no complaints.
    We would just need to take into account some details like Hidden Deployment... do we leave a marker on the table to show that "something" was trying to infiltrate there?

6. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

I reckon leave it invisible. It's location is already noted and this is an interesting interaction between the rules that I think the game is better off keeping.

If the JSA player tells you 'something' attempted to infiltrate... thats pucker territory right there and I'm here for it

QuantronicWombat and Abrilete like this.
  7. joedj

joedj Member

Fail an Infiltrate, Combat Drop, etc. skill roll? Player chooses line straight back 12", 24" or on own DZ edge to place model, exposed/no camo/no minelayer,etc.
    3 choices, one tape measure check. Simple, but with 'acceptable' risk analysis penalty.

A wall of rules text, even in a wiki, doesn't lead to "keep it going" in-game decisions.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation