1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Altered Carbon series incoming

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by Stiopa, Dec 4, 2017.

1. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

@Dragonstriker: Yeah yeah. Should have said "dead" I guess ... Her sleeve got vaporised in much the same way as it does in the show, though.

Book 3 also sort of answers the question of what happened to the "martians" on Harlan's world, though.
    They all got uploaded via the angels

Dragonstriker likes this.
  2. Lothlanathorian

Lothlanathorian Not a custom title

"Morgan is a consultant on the show which, if all goes well, will run for five seasons. He has said in the past that he is done with Kovacs, but the adaptation has “kind of woken it all up again”, so he might reconsider."

altered-carbon-author-richard-morgan-violence-netflix

Also with a read:

altered-carbon-season-2-finale

Not sure if she's saying they've already started to plot season 2 or if Richard Morgan helped them plot out season 1.

chromedog likes this.
  3. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

5 seasons?

There's only 3 books... maybe 4 if Thirteen is in the continuity, but that would not have Kovacs in it. Thirteen takes place well before the digital storage of human consciousness, maybe even before the discovery of Martians.

I guess maybe you could stretch Broken Angels across two seasons, since there is the Kovacs-fighting-the-war arc and then the mad discoveries arc.

Can't really stretch Woken Furies across two seasons unless you expand on what happens after the end of the book.

xagroth, Stiopa and chromedog like this.
  4. Lothlanathorian

I don't know if you picked up on it, but they aren't planning to stick to the books that closely. :stuck_out_tongue:

chromedog and Mob of Blondes like this.
  5. chromedog

Given how closely they didn't stick to the first book with this series ... I'd figured that would be a given. :D

Lothlanathorian likes this.
  6. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Altered Story. With QuellChrist and her "Fuck them, make it profit." *badumtsh*
    As many seasons as the thing flies. *tongue-out*

#66 Mob of Blondes, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Lothlanathorian likes this.
  7. Lothlanathorian

Yes, god forbid the author decide to use a different format to tell a slightly different, longer story that makes him more money and manages to entertain people. How dare they not be the exact same story you've already got. Curse them! *shakes fist at sky*

<3

8. Section9

I don't mind taking advantage of the different media, or cutting stuff because it doesn't flow well visually. I don't even mind the name-change of the hotel because they couldn't get licensing.

I do object to changing characters for no obvious reason. Especially when some of those changes mess up their ability to tell the story from the third book.

Solodice, xagroth and chromedog like this.
  9. Lothlanathorian

Having read what a lot of the changes were, I do think it seemed silly to make them. I could understand if they didn't think they'd get more than one season, but that's...not realistic to think for Netflix anymore.

xagroth likes this.
  10. Section9

Just binge-watched the entire thing, all ~12 hours of it.

I think that a lot of the character changes were to reduce the number of characters to keep track of. There's probably 1000 characters with names in the book.

And I have come up with a way for the events of the third book to work with the changes made. Second book can basically stand as-is, it doesn't need a lot of changes to work with the series setting. Actually, the second book requires exactly ONE change to work: Kovacs is searching, that's why he's on that planet to begin with.

11. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

Can someone with a bit of knowledge of the books help me fill in a blank?
    So I've just watched the episode where the other Dimi twin is torturing kovacs in virtual. The only thing I don't get is when they are in the lab there's a table dissecting a dead woman. It shows it quite a lot but doesn't really explain much as to why it's there. Do the books explain a bit more or is it literally just there to show up the evilz?

12. chromedog

The Wei clinic (not so much a "lab") does "interrogation/info retrieval" as a mainline, but it's a surgical clinic (whilst cloning IS available for the rich, organ transplants are still a thing) and body disposal of messy loose threads. They thought Kovacs was Ryker (who was a cop who got busted and is on ice - the guy whose sleeve he's wearing) and Dimi 2 has an issue with him/Ryker. (Dimi is dual sleeved but it's not a shared consciousness between them, but two identical copies of him in different bodies.)

It's connected with the story and you find out by whom and where in the last episode.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  13. chromedog

Just realised that Virginia Vidaura is actually in the show. Just a background Stronghold character, not the commander she was in the books.

14. leigen_zero

I got the bits with Dimi 2 and Kovacs

I was just pondering on the importance of the corpse they were methodically disassembling behind the curtain. When you say 'It's connected with the story and find out the whos are wheres in the finale' do you mean the corpse being dissected or the interrogation part?

It's mainly because the corpse on the dissection machine thing gets a lot of screentime for what appeared to be a non-important prop, so wondered if the corpse was plot-important or just there to emphasis the nasty nature of the place he was in

15. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

Plot important.
    Most of the apparently trivial background colour in ep1 is plot critical, too.
    All the elements to solve Bancroft’s death are given, except for one person’s identity.

#75 Dragonstriker, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  16. leigen_zero

Thanks folks, guess I'll have to keep watching now to find out :slightly_smiling_face:

17. chromedog

The woman is Anemone, the girl from "Jack it off". Big thug cuts her throat, but she's taken to the clinic for disposal.

18. leigen_zero

Ah that explains it, for some reason I thought it was a completely different person

19. Kahlain

Kahlain Greeble-Faust investigator

I am trying to re-read the novels right now, and I am really wrestling with the combinations of characters and movements... Anyone else? Hell, I don't know that it makes a great deal of difference. Expcept that the changes are forcing me to think about plotting, characterization, etc, etc in ways I haven't since undergrad lit >.< I may well be about to disappear up my own singularity, as @chromedog would say.

The TV shows got the gestalt / zeitgeist right. The themes are still there. What does everyone else think of the combinations used? Aside from making an admittedly "old dog" think long and hard about some "new tricks," are the changes going to make any difference long term?

For example, the way Kovacs' Envoy Mentor (Vidaura ?) and Quellcrist were combined has interesting implications for future seasons. As does the combining of the Quell-ist movement and the Envoys. The last has a simple fix -- just rename the novel series Envoys and call 'em CTAC, as they did in the TV series. Though there is a definite insidious, twisted-ness that attaches to originating all those Envoy mind tricks. (Envoys in the Books. Quell in the TV series)

The bit that threw me most was how Kovacs -- in the TV series -- knew Quell... That was a real wtf for me. I greatly preferred the subtler, slower burn of Kovacs coming to embrace Quell-ist thinking -- as presented in the novels. In the books, he totally embraced her distrust of authority -- to the point of distrusting her -- even once they figured out that, yeah, it really was her...

#79 Kahlain, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    chromedog likes this.
  20. chromedog

Not really. It thinned down the list of characters (by merging a few together) but Kovacs is still just looking for a way to reconnect with a dead girlfriend.
    Doesn't really matter if it's Falconer or Sarah, tbh as the motive is the same regardless of the name used.

As it is, he's free to go looking on the other settled worlds, and as long as they touch base with those stories, I'll be fine with it. I don't demand my adaptations be slavish to the source material.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation