1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AidanO's plog - ISS - Sun Tzu WiP (05/05/19)

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by AidanO, Dec 22, 2017.

1. AidanO

AidanO Well-Known Member

Some more progress on the Hsien, got some complaints about the dark background of my desk, so took it back over to the painting desk to make it pop a bit

[​IMG]

2. AidanO

AidanO Well-Known Member

A little more work done on this guy. Not much more left. The purple on his coat is nowhere near finished, just got the Nocturna Imperial Purple paint set today and had to try it out. The pic is a bit desaturated at the moment, due to the photo being taken after dark.

[​IMG]

Section9, Golem2God, Xeurian and 7 others like this.
  3. AidanO

AidanO Well-Known Member

So pretty much done with the Hsien. Although I'm going to redo the sword. It didn't work out as well as I was hoping (if anyone knows a good red tinted NMM set of colours that'd be awesome, it came out far too pink irl. Once that's done, I'll finish him up and take proper photos and not these evening shots on my phone.

[​IMG]

I also have been working on my RPG character, which I've used Machaon for.

Definitely still WiP:

[​IMG]

Section9, Golem2God, Xeurian and 3 others like this.
  4. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

On a personal note, I don't find the blade that pink. I would say purple but I find it suits the rest properly.
    If what I call purple is your pink issue, maybe you could try to move it back to red with some red glaze work? (just a suggestion, I'm not even sure it makes sense here).

5. AidanO

AidanO Well-Known Member

The colours are slightly off in the photo, it actually looks rather nice in the picture but not so much in person, or I assume with better lighting.

Koin-Koin likes this.
  6. Koin-Koin

In the end, what really matters is that you're happy with the result.

Golem2God and jherazob like this.
  7. AidanO

AidanO Well-Known Member

Finished my Hsien.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. IcariumVNam

IcariumVNam Well-Known Member

I really like your high contrast style and interesting colour schemes. The Umbra actually looks alien for once. Kind of reminds me of the He Man cartoons for some reason. Keep up the good work!

9. AidanO

AidanO Well-Known Member

Thanks, I was going for an alien looking Umbra, the mini screamed for it. Hopefully I can get one of my friends over who enjoys photography to take some better pics soon.

10. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

@AidanO Blue, off-White & Purple make for a lovely pair. Is there a color recipe to replicate this? Especially the purple parts.

11. Koin-Koin

If you don't mind @AidanO I'll hijack your thread a bit becaus last year I painted the same model with the same colors BUT with a small twisit:
    White and purple are inverted
    [​IMG]

I'm not putting the pic here to compare our respective skills (yours are much better than mine) but to illustrate how much a simple change can leads to a much better results.
    As you choose to use white for the cape's main color, you provide much more contrast than I did. I still like what I did but for sure, but I like yours better.

Oni, volgo, Golem2God and 1 other person like this.
  12. AidanO

AidanO Well-Known Member

Saying this early because it's going to seem like I'm a Vallejo employee, but I'm not, just a big fan of their paints (and drop bottles, so damn convenient).

Purple is easy to replicate. http://nocturnamodels.com/product.php?id_product=163

The paint set gives two lovely purple variants. The set is made by Vallejo for Nocturna Models. I just used Sunny skin tone mixed in with the top highlight to push the contrast further.

The recipe for the blue is earlier in the thread. The white uses the recipe from the Vallejo Black & White paint set http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/black-_-white/family/15/127

And the NMM uses the vallejo NMM set: http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_...lor_-instructions-_-color-chart/family/18/137

The yellow/orange of the undersuit uses citadel paints, but I don't have them in front of me, so I'll have to get back to you on that.

That is really great, I love blue YJ. And I was tossing up whether to make the coat purple or white for the longest time. I agree though, the contrast is much higher and more dramatic. Your Hsien is a great looking guy.

jherazob, Golem2God and Koin-Koin like this.
  13. Koin-Koin

Thanks I'm pretty happy with what I get but now I can only regret not to choose white for the cape :sob:
    Beside, you put much more effort on the small detail than I did (I really like your weapon camo)

14. AidanO

AidanO Well-Known Member

Real life (aka travelling) got in the way of painting, but I've been chipping away at the Wu Ming. Here's a WiP of the dude without his helmet. I was nervous about him because of skin tones, but I'm pretty happy with how he's turning out.

[​IMG]
    Blue is mostly done, some final bits left to do around the legs and touchups once the other colours are finished. But he's coming along nicely.

And some other wips that are pretty much complete (just need to finish basing and they're done.) The ninja is kinda washed out because it's hard to take proper photos of a black mini on a phone camera.

[​IMG]
    Massively over exposed and doesn't look anywhere near that bad with a proper pic, but I'll take once once I finish basing her.

Section9, Oni, Daimeow and 6 others like this.
  15. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

@AidanO All three of them look grand. If I can reach your level of painting skill in the future I'd be very happy.

16. Daimeow

Daimeow Well-Known Member

Interesting color schemes you have. Hsien looks impressive! Waiting for better pics of last 3 buddies. =)
    By the way, what's with yoroi pilot kit?

17. AidanO

AidanO Well-Known Member

Got it as part of the Luxumbra kickstarter, was planning on starting her a while back, but have decided to try and finish my ISS off before getting into her. Plan on doing a lot of complicated reflections on a chromed arm so working with some busts to get some practice as well.

18. AidanO

AidanO Well-Known Member

Working on this guy still, got the undersuit, silver and white done. Just the black/weapon and touchups to go. Plan on getting him finished then probably a Zhanying to break up the repition of Wu Ming for a bit.

[​IMG]

jherazob, Koin-Koin, zapp and 4 others like this.
  19. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Very nice!

AidanO likes this.
  20. AidanO

AidanO Well-Known Member

So I never updated with finished pics of the Chain Rifle Wu Ming. Mainly because I plan on doing the final bases of all five of the Wu Ming together, along with the final pics. But for now...

[​IMG]

I got the last few boxes for ISS yesterday and can start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm getting close to max AVA now, or all the sculpts released, whichever is the lesser, so decided to do a group shot showing it off.

[​IMG]

Unbuilt boxes (including Zhanying and CG from the starter), paint queue that's built and primed, and the painted army.

[​IMG]

Plan on finishing all the units I need, then upgrading the older sculpts to new ones (looking at you CG), I'll probably get the new Su Jian done before finishing everything, mainly because I want to paint the sculpts and they'll be fun, plus I like Duo SJ lists and don't want to keep using the transformation token.

[​IMG]

And a pic of the old Crane, the mini that's never going to be replaced in my army. She's the mini that got me into infinity and it's the care I put into her that really upped my painting skill. I might eventually get another one of her to do in full NMM like the Hsien.

Oni, jherazob, Koin-Koin and 4 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation