1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AD

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by C0MR4DE, Jul 8, 2018.

1. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

no they aren't, they dont give cover.
    go away hecaton

2. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

For the purposes of blowing holes in them, granting the effects of Landing Pad etc

Not for preventing AD or providing cover.

As you well know, given that this is the 3rd (?) time you've tried to argue about it?

Teslarod and FatherKnowsBest like this.
  3. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Y'all are mistaking wishes for truth. It says they're scenery. If you want to ignore what's straight-up written in the rulebook, go ahead and house rule.

There's no statement that says what you said, @inane.imp . It doesn't say "Oh, it doesn't count as scenery for AD/Cover." It's scenery.

ChoTimberwolf likes this.
  4. inane.imp

How do Landing Pads work at all then?

Why you do you need to be prone to get cover wh
    on a roof without a parapet or other source of Partial Cover?

A: the section you linked is describing how roofs interact with the destructible terrain rules only, not the other rules which treat flat roofs as 'not scenery'.

Yes it could be more explicit. No it's not an issue.

5. Hecaton

As written, they don't. The rules are poorly written and self-contradictory.

I'd love for them to fix that kind of thing. I'm not holding my breath.

6. inane.imp

I know right, it's almost as if CB only considered roofs scenery for the purposes of blowing holes in them...

7. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

we noticed

8. Hecaton

And failed to consider the implications of the words they were writing? Fascinating.

9. inane.imp

And hardly unsurprising. But you know this, we've literally had this discussion previously.

Why bother raising it again in a manner designed to sow confusion rather than agreeing with @toadchild's intitial description (generally it's understood this way otherwise it causes problems) and then discussing the exceptions/issues?

10. theradrussian

theradrussian Well-Known Member

If this is the case my hellcats just got promoted to shotgun surgeons that *teleports behind u* and will abuse this until it gets fixed (only in tourney settings tho, where I know most people would try and do anything to eke out a win by abusing the currently strained ruleset). N4 when? :D

11. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Teslarod and ijw like this.
  12. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

*this is my incredulous face*

This is how it was played the entire time you were in Exeter. It's not an abuse it's how the rule is intended.

13. theradrussian

theradrussian Well-Known Member

While true, I DID avoid having them appear INSIDE buildings!

14. ijw

Ah, I thought you were talking about rooftops.

daboarder and FatherKnowsBest like this.
  15. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

I think table layout and terrain should be treated with a lot more care than I imagine it does in many cases. What you've described makes perfect sense to me. Tables can have a huge impact on game play. They can impact the outcome and fun.

I'll give CB some slack here. Writing rules to cover terrain where we're only limited by our imaginations isn't easy. But I'm sure they can do better and I'd accept it as a continual work in progress.

On another tangent, I'd prefer players see the table they are going to play on before building their list in ITS. I have to imagine it's standard in Infinity Universe to have some basic information of the area an Op is taking place in. I've never liked the idea of submitting two lists before a tournament and being stuck with them. Even knowing it's a huge improvement over one list. I'd love to see this changed or improved in the future.

Maybe submit two default lists before the tournament. But players are free to submit any two lists based on the table for a particular game. If they don't provide any they must use the default lists. Making sure this takes player before they know who their opponent is would be important. So a player can bring a binder full of lists to choose from or create one on the spot if desired.

EDIT: However, I can see using the same two lists throughout a tournament in cases where there is a campaign or narrative designed around it.

#35 Ginrei, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  16. ijw

For tournaments it's just a matter of practicality. Most tournaments don't have enough free time to allow for writing of lists (and printing courtesy lists) before each game. I know, I've run several tournaments where you could do this.

Bear in mind that the default for non-tournament games is that you write your list after finding out the mission, seeing the table, knowing what faction/Sectorial your opponent is using, and drawing Classifieds.

ChoTimberwolf, Ginrei and inane.imp like this.
  17. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

Interesting, in casual games I naturally know my opponents faction but I can fully understand thematically it being unknown until i get their courtesy list. Knowing the Classifieds beforehand would be nice and save me worrying about whether i need a Doctor for example. Of course as a CA player that's rarely an issue. Classifieds could certainly be drawn before a tournament.

My suggestion covers any potential delay. The default lists are used if a player hasn't finished by the deadline. So players wanting to play that way simply need to be prepared. But I guess it's a question of whether that puts unnecessary expectations on players or organizers for what is gained.

18. Valmiir

Valmiir Member

Not sure if you're already aware, but in ITS you select one of your two lists after selecting classifieds.

Hecaton, barakiel, inane.imp and 2 others like this.
  19. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

yep - as valmiir said - often forgotten but you draw classified first, then select a list, then roll initiative.

Ginrei likes this.
  20. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

It would be nicer to have the option to... Prepare multiple lists for each Mission+Classifieds all at my own desk/couch/bed/hottub before a tournament. I don't actually have a hot tub, but someone might. :slightly_smiling_face:

It just seems to me as long as two default lists are still required we can allow more freedom for better list and troop selection for each individual match. Frankly, only one default list is required, but whatever.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation