1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple of questions to the CB staff about fluff direction and the Infinity fandom

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Hecaton, Apr 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fyeya

Fyeya Yakitori over a light flamethrower

Gosh this is out of hand.

Next you'll be accusing the catholic church in spain of genocide. Go take a break, you're so far over your skis your face is bouncing off the snow.

The wars between Colonial and native governments weren't a genocide - they were wars, between vastly unequal powers. The purpose of an overwhelming majority of the conflict was not some sort of genocide, the term didn't even exist at the time, and most of the native population was destroyed by disease, which despite idiots in the modern age claim was used as a weapon, was a thing that happened quite by accident because at the time they didn't even know what germs were.

Just because you've arrived on your high horse today doesn't give you the right to go back through history with a big judgmental marker to edit everything to fit your perspective, despite your clear desire to do so.

sarf, Zewrath, yojamesbo and 6 others like this.
  2. FatherKnowsBest

FatherKnowsBest Red Knight of Curmudgeon

Hooboy.

Let's lay this out.

My father was a Vietnam Veteran. He suffered from horrific PTSD til his dying day. He died almost 8 months ago, but for the 18 years I lived at home, I couldn't remember a week without him screaming terrifying things recalling horrible moments. He never complained about the year or so I dated a Vietnamese girl. I also didn't blame her for anything that happened to my Dad. I do hate Pho.

As life would have it, my Mother was Jewish. Would I play SS in a WWII game? What are their statlines? Aside from really good paints made by Vallejo for their cool looking tanks, I might play them.

My brother has fought against Al Qaeda, and in Modern Warfare 2 I did play that scene where you are going along with the terrorists attacking the mall.

My mother's older brother was vivisected by the Japanese in WWII. I drive a Honda. My mother refused to ever buy anything from Japan ever. My father loved the Japanese. Lived there for a time. Even was married to a Japanese national at that time. Me? I love a lot of aspects of Japanese culture, others such as sushi....hard hard pass.

It really is just a game.

Don't like it? Don't play it.

I hate some of the newer models. I don't buy them.

I think it would behoove some folks to take an internet break. I don't get bent out of shape over a sci fi game.

Hell, I'd run out of games to play otherwise.

I applaud CB for moving their game forward rather than being the same old stuff for 20+ years. They can take it whatever way they want to. It's theirs. If I don't like something, I won't spend money on it.

To quote a true classic:

"Chinese religion is all mixed up. Look what we have to work with: Confucianism, Buddhism, Taoism, Chinese black magic... we take what we want and leave the rest. Just like your salad bar."

Zsolt, sarf, Cothel and 8 others like this.
  3. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Well, I think "ethnic cleansing" was a more accurate term, since a lot of it was explicitly about taking land that was occupied by natives. Calling it a "war of expansion" isn't quite the scope of it considering the racial component to it. Whether the natives died or were just dispossessed wasn't necessarily something that people cared about - just that they got the land.

If you look at the ethnic groups that had it the hardest throughout the United States' history, it's really hard to quantify who had it worse, the enslaved blacks or the native Americans, but those two are in the running for that dubious prize above all others, in my opinion. And the Antipodes' relationship with USAriadna is analogous to that of the native Americans with the expanding US. Do I think that this means USAriadna should be an entirely villainous faction? No. That would be that "lack of sophistication" I was talking about. It's just worthwhile to consider how even-handed the fluff is being.

4. Hecaton

Nice quote.

But part of it is if CB is being brave about it, wanting to present some horrific depictions in their story and face the consequences of that. It's not the depictions of ethnic cleansing that bother me, per se (I mean fuck, I played 40k for quite some time), it's them being handled clumsily, without sophistication, or without the proper gravity. But if it comes down to "We want to depict these things to have Yu Jing play the villain for our story, but we don't want to alienate the Yu Jing playerbase so we're not going to talk about it or have the consequences of that be explored properly in-setting," then that's a problem. Or if it's "We're going to have every depiction of ethnic Chinese in our setting be negative," that's probably a problem.

5. Fyeya

Fyeya Yakitori over a light flamethrower

And you gloss over the chinese laborers on the railroads, the irish in factories, and plenty of others who have suffered and struggled in the history of building a nation without a foundation - both trying to learn how to make freedom work, which nobody else had tried before, and how to build a modern nation without the infrastructure inherited from past centuries.

It was war for land, it wasn't about ethnicity - blacks owned blacks, whites worked whites to death in the factories, and greed was the evil behind much of it - yet at the same time Americans often did a lot to help natives, natives slaughtered colonists, practiced cannibalism and ritual sacrifice... trying to act like the history was simple or one-sided is quite inaccurate. Yes, the natives came out the far worse for it, but they were a civilization that was a good two thousand years behind, as far as industrial and military capacity was concerned, which meant in open conflict against an enemy who wanted territory, they never stood a chance, especially after they lost their massive numerical advantage to disease.

6. Hecaton

Oh they had it hard. Really hard. But in my opinion, the two ethnicities I mentioned had it the worst. Lot of Italians got lynched in them 20's; doesn't mean I think we had it harder than either of them.

It was definitely about ethnicity - If you look at the founding of organizations like the Native Sons of the Golden West, they saw this land as being ordained by God to belong to whites (though they were fairly friendly towards native Americans. Blacks, not so much). Racism against native Americans was real, and very brutal. Some of them even tried to integrate (Cherokee, for example), and they were treated without much compassion.

If you think I'm putting forth some idea of white=bad, nonwhite=good, you're wrong, and it's not a matter of Europeans being uniquely evil and murderous. I'm just stating how things shook out - who got killed and enslaved the most.

In any case, this whole thing is orthogonal to the topic at hand. The point we were exploring was if it would be somehow immoral to portray Yu Jing as anything but rapaciously evil, due to the behavior of the modern-day PRC. If you don't think that it's a moral necessity to portray Yu Jing as evil (whether it actually is or not), then we agree and can move on.

7. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

And how long did it take the Imperial Service to discover that the entire ethnic-Japanese population was against them? They should have at least started out trying to play the noncombatants against the combatants.

Again, this is all counter-insurgency 101. Something that should be so drilled into the Imperial Service (except probably the Bao) that they barely need to think about it.

Ooops. Failure to convey proper tone in a text-only environment. :embarrassed:

But thank you for your answer!

I admit, I can also play the bad guys when I know they're bad guys going into the game. Someone needs to play them, after all, or you don't have a game.

My issue is that I was not aware that Yu Jing was the Designated Bad Guys(tm). They certainly were not sold as such back in 2006 when I started this game, though they got a bit darker when N2 Human Sphere came out and introduced the Kuang Shi and the Japanese as second-class citizens.

#187 Section9, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
  8. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

This comes up a lot and I must be honest, where are the imperial service sold as the best counter-insurgency unit? I had this vision of (heavily) military police and anti-terrorist (in the context of small groups).

I didn't envisage them as a military unit, which would explain why they struggle in what turns into straight up conflict, albeit within civilian areas. Throughout uprising (IIRC), whenever yu jing successfully deployed their actual army units (like the invincible divisions) the JSA got their faces kicked in until outside pressure changed the scenario sufficiently.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  9. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Let me get back to you @Alphz , I need to dig up the N2 fluff.

Alphz likes this.
  10. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

A while ago now, I wrote my graduate dissertation on the movie The Fly II (because high art is always worth deconstruction and analysis ... :wink:) and in the course of researching horror and how it worked in society and what possible value it might offer, I attended a lecture by fantasy-horror author Clive Barker who said an interesting thing that might be relevant to this whole debate.

Someone in the audience (perhaps a fundamentalist Christian objecting to his Hellraiser films) asked him if he thought it was a good thing to glorify evil by writing about demons. Without missing a beat, Barker replied "Ah yes, that's an interesting thing to say because some people believe in angels and demons and the sorts of characters I write about. Can you tell me if you do too?" She said she did and he went on "Ok, then I entirely understand your concern. But you see from my point of view it's different, because I don't".

oldGregg and prophet of doom like this.
  11. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Yeah I'll play ISIS.

FatherKnowsBest likes this.
  12. prophet of doom

prophet of doom Well-Known Member

Sounds like a cool scenario indeed! Maybe with the StarCo. as mercenaries protecting the HVT? I like such narrative play. I would obviously prefer to play the mercs.

13. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

And you’re exactly right. And even the ISS fluff in N2 talks about their preference for violent and drastic measures, including noting that violence is the universal language and that an Agent without blood on their hands isn’t doing their job properly. At most they are allowed to operate as military police and commissars, with all that entails.

#193 A Mão Esquerda, May 1, 2018
    Abrilete and FatherKnowsBest like this.
  14. Hecaton

I was thinking more StarCo trying to take the HVT out, QK trying to extract her so that the bad publicity from her story will likely allow a Haqq concern to take an O-12 contract that would otherwise have gone to the magnate's PanO-based company.

15. Hecaton

Perhaps, but "violent and drastic" is pretty much the norm for a game that focuses on the actions of *soldiers.* Does it note how they're just waiting for the order to kill a bunch of Japanese civilians?

#195 Hecaton, May 1, 2018
    Aldo likes this.
  16. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

StarCo definitely don't seem the types to be taking out whistleblowers, witnesses and such! They're strictly honourable, legal and above board operations, reputation means a lot to them.

17. Hecaton

I guarantee that in PanO "whistleblowing" is heavily illegal. They're just "apprehending" a financial criminal who's trying to escape justice!

18. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Huh, missed have missed those *exact* words between noting their violence, their disregard for human rights, their penchant for killing first and asking questions never, the way they're hated by all of the troops, the contrast between the penal and human bomb regiments and the pampered Imperial Agents and Su Jian... no, it does not use those *exact* words. Sorry, I just made a logical leap, but now I know that establishing a pattern of overreactions and bloodthirsty methods to crush and/or any all dissenters or anyone the ISS has deemed a danger to the nation, the Emperor and the Party is insufficient. It must be the precise phrase "kill all Japanese civilians". I'll look for it when I get home from work tonight.

barakiel likes this.
  19. Hecaton

@A Mão Esquerda So you're taking the tack that the Imperal Service is unambiguously villainous?

Aldo likes this.
  20. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

So how does that come together with playing the victim card over and over while behaving entitled to something?
    The heck do Warcors suddenly have to du with it? There are people sternly disagreeing with your narrowminded point of view. Some of them happen to be Warcors. How is that suddenly another reason to paint yourself as the victim?

I for one am not aware you're showing any sort of respect for the game or community, so I wonder why they shouldn't return the favour and drag you back to reality. This is getting more and more delusional.

See that is precisely the point. You're complaining about fluff. Then you claim the particular fluff bit that upsets you is the new trademark stamp for the entire faction. JSA are according to fluff just a minor part of the YJ empire, a minor part unproportionally high represented on the game tables.
    Also who cares if CB wants to make YJ into the 4th Reich? What is evil anyway? Who was worse in WW2 the Russians or the Axis powers?Aren't we all just told the winner's side of the story? Isn't the US not just as bad after the Cold War comes into play? Who is able to accurately judge that from the heavily biased information we are fed?

Why is it a contest? Progress and evolution are a struggle, someone always gets the short end of the stick.
    Let me remind you again that you are complaining how YJ gets portrayed in a book that is about a revolt of second class citizens against an oppressive gouvernment only to serve as the lower class of a new administration - with the difference that the privileged citizens are now far less common and visible to the plebs.
    Is it better than before or worse? Isn't it just easier to bear when you're not confronted with the truth every step along the path?

How the heck is anyone to win a popularity contest in that setting? The entire thing is a switch from one regime that treats the Japanese citizens like shit to another where they're still treated entirely disposable but can live in blissful ignorance behind a new propaganda machine.

That might be because albeit I am addressing you in terms of language, I do not believe you're willing to see anything beyond what you have established for yourself as the truth.
    You and a few others infest the root of a discussion that could have been fruitful, but you just will never let it go until the entire thing crashes and burns. I'll play devils advocate because it amuses me to see how long you intend to keep this bullshit going.
    Nothing against you personally, but you'll have to be better at selling your bullshit to people than anyone who disagrees with you can call you out on it.

Where to even to start. There isn't any enthusiasm in killing Japanese civilians, even Psycho Crane blames the Kuge for the needless bloodshed of their own people. He did what he had to do and is addressing the masterminds behind the entire thing. I'd guess he takes a fair bit of pleasure to see their plans partially ruined after they blew part of his agency sky high to set things in motion.
    PanO was obviously prepared to step in, they're always looking for a way to screw YJ. Ofc they'd see to it that the best people money can buy slander YJ on Maya.
    Would that be the point to remind you that the Uprising Book is subject to the usual trait for Infinity fluff? Part of it is written from an inside point of view, subject to bias and propaganda. I'd be interested why the book handling mainly JSA would tell the story equally distributed in between JSA and YJ.

Not especially. After you tried to pull an ad Hominem at me through my Faction, my age and my person, one might get the idea you take this personal. So may I return the same question?

That's a straight lie, or at least a careless mistake on your part. Let me quote the thread title to you:
    Dear fellow YJ Players - you do not want IA ASAP
    I wonder if there is room for interpretation there, still the OP should make things clear. I'm all for getting Immortal Army out - when it's due. Mind you this was a response to some people, including you, yelling murder for reparations because CB "owed them".

Honestly couldn't tell if that would do more damage to the game than your current course of action. Stick to .... criticizing... to the best of your ability.

Nah, I just like people who don't go grab their pitchfork after an obvious bomb that has been there for years suddenly explodes. JSA always had the "2nd class citizen and not happy about it" part in their fluff. That part isn't a deus ex machina, there are official statements of Gutier and Bostria that they always wanted for this to happen at some point.

Oh my, that hurts coming from you. If even you can tell I'm pretty certain all that double checking I did has been for nothing. What a waste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation