1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a "Snapships" model as scenery

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Lawson, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

I've been interested in the possibility of using Snapships toys as scenery for my table. Their scale is technically wrong... more like 15mm or 1/144 scale, but there was one ship in particular that I felt like I could make work for Infinity due to the size of its cockpit.
    IMG_5708-3.jpg
    This cost me about $27 on Amazon, so the price was right for a piece of terrain.

Over the past month I worked on painting it up, utilizing some scale modeling techniques/tools that are new to me, such as chipping medium and oil washes. Here's the result:

DSC00608.jpg DSC00610.jpg DSC00616.jpg DSC00614.jpg

It was a fun experiment and turned out better than expected. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who wants a ship for their table but doesn't want to pay a premium for a hobby miniature model.

2. It looks spectacular, congratulations!

Abydog likes this.
  3. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Nice model and great results.
    For me it's a totally valid piece of scenery (and a gorgeous one)

Abydog and chromedog like this.
  4. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Excellent results!
    One thing about the scale for ships with a cockpit that is too small for our minis: This is Infinity, they can be autonomous vehicles and therefore be smaller than a normal craft, the cockpit only has avionics or something like that and has no need for a human operator. That works for anything from ships to vehicles to many other such things. Not everything can be used this way but it still should greatly expand our choices :smiley:

Abydog and Lawson like this.
  5. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

The snapships models are sort-of like Lego so in theory one could make any number of cockpit-less ships or vehicles. Worth considering.

Abydog likes this.
  6. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

That is a phenomenal paint job. It really turned something toylike into a fitting scenery piece.

Abydog, chromedog and Lawson like this.
  7. timberfox

timberfox Active Member

that looks wonderfull what a good repaint can do.

8. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

The paint job really sells it. Very tacticool. The Ariadna version, the high tech version by Ariadna standards, runs on a coal powered steam engine, no? ::grinning:

With things like this plasticard is usually your friend. How difficult would it be to convert/modify this using plasticard?

Asking for a friend myself.

9. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

If you didn't say it was a "wrong" scale, I never would have known. Unless there's some sort of real life reference, how would we know? That looks fantastic to me!

10. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

It's only the "wrong scale" in the sense that the Snapships pilots that go in the cockpit are something like 15mm miniature scale. Many of the snapships cockpits seat one pilot and so they look relatively small... but this particular cockpit is a tandem seater and so it manages to look approximately the correct scale for a single pilot ship in Infinity, essentially. Certainly with kit bashing one could put together other things that were a good scale for 28mm miniatures using some of their other kits.

11. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

I would imagine you could make modifications with Plasticard. Snapships themselves are a toy product that works almost like LEGO as well so you could probably buy a few kits and bash them to get closer to what you'd want. A good use for plasticard actually might just be covering over any open 'stud' connectors between the ship parts which give away the brick-construction.

Here's a reference (not my photo) of what the pieces look like mid-construction.
    SS_blocks.jpeg
    SS_base.jpeg

As you can see, most of the 'show' pieces begin to cover up the basic bricks but there will usually be some open holes in the finished model unless you got multiple kits and cannibalized them for some additional covering pieces. That could make the model overly busy though, so I think plasticard would work well for flat surfaces.

jherazob likes this.
  12. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Web site has a bunch of manuals, so you can check what parts you get.

What is the size of each base cube?

13. Space Ranger

Those cubes alone look pretty cool and would be great painted up as scatter terrain.

14. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

The cubes are about 20mm square, not counting the single plastic stud that protrudes from one side. The interior blue section is rubber-ish and is slightly flexible which is what allows the plastic stud to 'snap' in. @Space Ranger you're right they are probably about the right size to function a scatter crates if you cut the stud off and placed that side face-down. Could also work as "supply boxes" for the requisite mission if you put them on a 25mm base.

15. Space Ranger

Actually I was thinking the that part is good! It could be painted to look like a light, vent, or some scifi gadget.

16. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

It certainly could! Sky's the limit.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation