1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saito Togan thoughts

Discussion in 'Japanese Secessionist Army' started by wuji, Nov 11, 2021.

1. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

What if Saito not only got his SpecOps back but also got +3 Discover so he could have a secondary role that differentiates him from standard ninjas: that of the camo hunter. It doesnt make him a better shot at camo and isnt as OP as MSV+smoke or Sensor on a Skirmisher so he still prefers to go in and melee shit but this way there isnt as much overlap while still keeping the CC overlap of JSA.

I think of this the same way as giving Musashi Flash Pulse (+1B) and NBW or giving Shikami Dodge (+1B) and a MultiRifle over Combi. Something that makes me want to take a unit because of what it does differently while still keeping JSAs CC+MA identity.

2. Ashtaroth

Ashtaroth Aragoto GP Organizer
    Warcor

Things Saito can do, that Ninja can't:
    - Throw smoke;
    - Reliably destroy the AC2, the Heating Units or the Mindwipe Consoles;
    - The following Classifieds: Net Undermine, Capture, HVT: Kidnapping;
    - Reliably pistol someone unconscious (in CC) for objective purposes;
    - Reliably destroy HI.

The second and third point are the most important part for Saito. In N3 together with SpecOp he made sure to shove the Ninja aside, because he could do the same missions as them and then some. Now, he's more specialized and there's more nuance to list building instead of having fully optimised mono-builds. He's good in some missions, but not in all of them, he's a good middle ground between a regular ninja and Kitsune.

If you want a camo hunter, you have a very good one already: RuiShi.

3. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

The ruishi is a good camo hunter, but it's not a CC camo hunter. Should that be something a player desires. And yes I do believe classifieds and destruction of objectives is important but those are dependent on the mission and just luck of getting the right classifieds. Plus, you dont know who you're gonna face in each mission. Just as JSA has CC overlap, and deployable less overlap, it wouldnt hurt to have another unit for camo but who can also discover impersonators and other things like that should they raise.

Also, sure maybe Saito, could go without SpecOps if that's really how it was for Ninjas, but at the same time Ninjas werent able to target things in the ARO before either...

Just some food for thought, so don't @ me just cause I had some counter ideas...

4. Ashtaroth

Ashtaroth Aragoto GP Organizer
    Warcor

I think a CC camo hunter is a bad idea, I get it conceptually, but in practice what it would happen is that you would make your approach and you'd either "discover" a Mine, or you discover that the camo you are hunting is packing a Shotgun or any other template weapon and you'd lose Saito and just trade points :( . And if you say that you would discover at a distance and then move in, then you can just spare the orders moving in and shoot them down with a Spitfire.

Exactly, here you are agreeing with me. That's why I said Saito is only good in some missions. There can be a tournament setup such that you don't want Kitsune's monofilament, but you also don't want to downgrade her to a Ninja foregoing her smoke. So Saito is just right there in the middle.
    Since Classifieds are luck-drawn, having a mini that ups your % of being able to do all of the classifieds is also very valuable.

Exactly, so Saito is versatile enough to adapt to the matchup and mission. He's the middle ground between an assassin (Kitsune) and a disruptive midfielder (Ninja). Which is very unique in this Army. But granted, it's not what you want most of the time, so he's more situational and not seen in many lists and that's alright. He's there for when you need him.

As for Impersonators (or infiltrating assassins for that matter), JSA is well equipped to deal with them, between CrazyKoalas, Mines, all the CC able units (which are also the Lieutenants) and the cheapeast CoC in the game, once they try something, they are going down real quick. Sure they might kill something, but their threat range is fairly limited vs JSA specifically. Wouldn't you agree?

5. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

You're right, I do agree with you alot. Is it anything that a 1pt bump would cause problems for, I dont think so. But I'll say this, you at least played devil's advoxatebin your argument which is more than I can say for most people here. Maybe he doesnt "NEED" it, but I cant say it would be useless or problematic.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation