1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monofilament sword & protheion

Discussion in 'Rules' started by RobertShepherd, May 10, 2021.

1. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

A monofilament sword has N ammunition, DAM 12, ARM=0 and inflicts the state=dead.

Does the presence of normal ammunition mean that a monofilament sword technically inflicts both a wound and the dead state on a failed save? Obviously this will almost always be irrelevant but there are a couple of Protheion troops in the game who also have Monofilament weapons that would benefit from causing an actual wound in the same order as they kill something.

Hecaton likes this.
  2. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

That makes sense to me. I can't see a reason that they don't cause a wound + death. For most that is the same thing, but you are right that Protheion does care and I can't see why that wouldn't work.

RobertShepherd likes this.
  3. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

Pretty sure in one of the longer IJW threads he addressed that. Technically) it doesn't inflict a wound (nor does Coup de Grace) and neither inflict wounds and thus don't trigger Protheion.

Intended? Dunno.

4. RobertShepherd

I don't believe any of the prior threads every addressed the fact that a monofilament sword is still Normal ammunition. Everyone was coasting on N3 inertia where monofilament was its own ammunition that caused a target to pass straight to dead, rather than being Normal Ammunition with the ARM=0 and state=dead properties.

With that in mind: yes, any effect that causes a target to pass straight to dead without inflicting wounds doesn't (annoyingly) trigger protheion. This is a separate question. :)

inane.imp likes this.
  5. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

Hmm. Eraser is DA ammo and state=Isolated, so the same logic would imply that it does wounds as well as isolating. Same with Jammer and Normal ammo.

Also Symbiobug - wtf is a symbiobug? I didn't know they existed. Maybe they're meant to do damage. Phero-booster if I recall, is supposed to do damage as well as cause the Targeted state?

I think that's all of them in the weapon chart.

So either Eraser and Jammer have an error in the rule, or Phero-booster (and maybe symbiobug) do. If the former, Monofilament feeds Protheion, if the latter, it doesn't...

6. RobertShepherd

@QueensGambit Eraser and Jammer are both non-lethal. Monofilament and Phero-Booster are not - that's the distinction.

Symbiobugs are tohaa crazykoalas and, alas, no longer exist on any profile. They're from N3.

inane.imp and QueensGambit like this.
  7. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

A symbiobug in the document? :thinking_face:

8. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Definitely not intended in Coup de Grace's case, as the example in the rulebook explicitly contradicts what IJW wants to see.

Diphoration likes this.
  9. Arkhos94

Arkhos94 Well-Known Member

10. RobertShepherd

Ah, I see someone did ask the question in the thread - and it was glossed past a little because there's a rules 'example' that overwrites how we'd expect the ammunition to work from first principles.

Which kind of makes me want to re-open the question, because we already know that examples are not authoritative when it comes to Protheion...

Hecaton likes this.
  11. Amusedbymuse

Amusedbymuse Well-Known Member

FFS are you doing the thing again? Its not what IJW wants to see. Its the intent of the entire rules staff. You have been told countless times that Examples are not rules, many of them are copy pasted from n3 where things worked diferently. Sure its annoying but we have official, and final confirmation that Protheion doesnt work with either rule. I see your avatar, its safe to assume you play CA hence your biased opinion on the matter.

Wolf and Dragonstriker like this.
  12. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

As often the answer is already hidden in the rules text, just not where you'd think to look for it first.
    upload_2021-5-10_10-45-41.png
    That's on the bottom of the Melee Weapon Profile wiki Page.
    https://infinitythewiki.com/Melee_Weapon_Profile

So while I completely agree with you that technically Mono would work like you laid out, this clarification text changes that into Dead replacing the loss of a Wound on a failed Save.

#12 Teslarod, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
  13. Hecaton

I don't really see any evidence to support that position. IJW seems to be making decisions unilaterally, especially considering the ruling about being able to declare AROs from anywhere on the table.

Not only is it annoying, I had someone spring a ruling that was contrary to an example in the book in a league, which ended up having consequences for the outcome of the game. So IJW actively made my play experience worse.

Plenty of people who don't play CA agree with me, in any case. So it's not a matter of biased opinion - IJW is the only person I know who thinks that CDG and Protheion *shouldn't* interact, and he's also in a position to make rulings on it.

14. Hecaton

But it's an example. Those are supposed to be ignored, I thought?

15. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Ignored? No. But they're not supposed to be assumed to override the written rules text.

Anyway, there's definitely some ambiguity with Protheion and I would appreciate it if we got a couple of FAQs out of it in the next update.

Mahtamori likes this.
  16. Hecaton

And the example given for Protheion doesn't do so.

Agreed.

17. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

I am pretty sure this question has been asked answered and has been told to wait for an FAQ if anything changes, there is no reason to ask the same question with another vector in hopes to change the provisional answer.

There is no issue with the ammo type in the equation.

18. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I just wanted to register that this has been addressed in the 1.1 FAQ; monofilament and coup de grace now both count as inflicting a single would for the purposes of protheion.

19. Arkhos94

Arkhos94 Well-Known Member

There is still a question left : what if you fail 2 ARM roll vs monofilament ?

Does Nourkias gain 1 or 2 power up ?

Diphoration likes this.
  20. wes-o-matic

wes-o-matic feeelthy casual

Probably just one, AFAIK you can only go to Dead state once before removal from the table, and the number of Wounds inflicted by monofilament is zero, so there’s no way to trigger the Protheion clause of one power up per Wound inflicted.

toadchild likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation