1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Material of the Scenery

Discussion in 'General' started by Spitfire_TheCat, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Spitfire_TheCat

Spitfire_TheCat Feel the Wrath of the Miezi-Bot

Did anyboby else notice that the material of the scenery pack is somewhat strange?

I drilled holes in mine to magnetise it (to carry it once painted) but the magnets just dropped out of it again. The glue didn't work. I never had any problems with superglue holding different kinds of metal, plastic or resin together, so I was kinda surprised.

Anybody else noticed something like this ... and has maybe a solution? Baking Powder? Completely different glue?

2. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

I know some people use putty instead of glue for magnet.
    Just for the sake of understanding your issue, are you able to identify where the issue is located ? Does the glue stick to the magnet but not to the scenery piece or the opposite ?

3. Spitfire_TheCat

Yes, the glue sticks to the magnet (and everything else, because I use the same glue and the same magnets for everything Infinity) but not to the scenery. Completely strange, cause it's said to be PVC and the glue is supposed to stick to PVC.

Koin-Koin likes this.
  4. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Did you wash it with soap and warm water? It could be a separator issue.

5. Spitfire_TheCat

Possible but I doubt it. Because I drilled holes into it and it doesn't stick to the inside of the holes. There should be no separator inside the material. Though I can try this.

6. Nuada Airgetlam

Separator could be seeping out of the material itself. It's been often an issue with cheap material.

chromedog likes this.
  7. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Well-Known Member

If this is the case, it can be a huge problem for the painting the scenery. Painting a surface that is soaked with separator is near impossible.

8. Nuada Airgetlam

If this is the case, spray varnish might be able to seal that in.

9. Spitfire_TheCat

Using baking powder/soda together with the superglue worked till now. I will watch this, but none of the magnets came off after using baking powder.

I already base coated the scenery prior to magnetising it and base coat stayed on normally as well. I will start painting the scenery this weekend. If I can decide on a painting scheme that is ...

10. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Well-Known Member

Paint sticking to the surface while superglue doesn't is a really strange behavior. :thinking_face:

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  11. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Superglue should have problem with PE, PP, PTFE, silicon based rubber, glass or vitrified surface.
    Scenery items and Megalodron are PVC, so there should be no problem.

Maybe the heat from drilling just vitrified the surface of the hole. To get that level of details, you need a high melt flow, so it could be possible...

12. Spitfire_TheCat

I drilled the holes using only the drill with my bare hands without any assistence. So I doubt there was any noticable heat involved. I'll see this weekend of paint will stick to the basecoat :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

13. schoon

schoon Active Member

Scoring or abrading the surface might help. Some plastics can be very smooth, even after drilling.

14. Spitfire_TheCat

So I have to say, the material keeps being strange. Painting is no problem. None of the issues you can have with resin sometimes because of the separator. But the magnets just don't stick to it. Means superglue doesn't do what it usually does ... dissolving the surface of the PVC and permanently bonding anything to it. Never experienced anything like this.

Did anyone else magnetise the Defiance scenery? The wide doors particularly?

15. Nuada Airgetlam

Superglue dissolving PVC is "what it usually does"? Since when? :o

chromedog and Dragonstriker like this.
  16. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Superglue is an adhesive, not a cement. If it’s dissolving a surface something’s gone horribly horribly wrong!

I second the suggestion to roughen up the surface to give the glue something to grip to. If you’ve drilled the holes cleanly, the inner surface is probably too shiny for the superglue to adhere to properly.

chromedog, Dragonstriker and solkan like this.
  17. Spitfire_TheCat

So, you never noticed that superglue dissolves plastic so some extent if you "spill" it on the surface by accident?

And the holes are rough. Like I said, I did not use any electrical drill or something just the 'drilling bit'. The normal underside of the doors is much smoother than the inside of these holes.

To be precise, I 'roughened up' the plastic by drilling holes into it. I surely did not smoothen it.

edit: Since I don't want to argue about if I am too stupid to use superglue: You magnetised the large doors and did not have the problem that the glue does not keep the magnets fixed?

#17 Spitfire_TheCat, Mar 7, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  18. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

On the one hand, please keep in mind that there are any number of different formulations and mixtures, and no one knows which particular brand or mix of “superglue” you’re using.

On the other hand... there are entire families of “plastics” that cyanoacrylate (aka “superglue”) won’t bond to. If you drill a hole in that “plastic”, fill it with superglue, put a magnet in there, and then wait, you’re just going to end up pulling a magnet with a superglue shell out of the hole. Especially if you just drilled the hole and didn’t rough up the sides of the drill hole to the superglue something to fill into.

chromedog and Nuada Airgetlam like this.
  19. Spitfire_TheCat

Again wisdoms from hell: Again my question: "Since I don't want to argue about if I am too stupid to use superglue: You magnetised the large doors and did not have the problem that the glue does not keep the magnets fixed?"

20. Snowboardrlz

Snowboardrlz New Member

It sure sounds like you're not using super glue, but plastic glue (cement). That's the one that melts the surface if it spills, and it only works on certain plastics. Is it the same glue that you are using for your metal minis? In any case, I'd recommend trying some other brand of super glue.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation