1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Patsy Garnett & SPECIAL Fireteam

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Cannon Fodder, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

Splitting hairs here, but this came up in our LGS.

Can Patsy Garnet host a Fireteam Duo\Haris and have a Clipper join her? (in varuna)

On the sectoral chart her fireteam rules say SPECIAL, and someone said since it does not say Harris or DUO she can't host a fireteam since she does not count as a valid fireteam trooper.

#1 Cannon Fodder, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  2. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Patsy Garnet is listed as "SPECIAL" in the Fireteam table.
    She is a full wildcard, with Fireteam: Duo and Fireteam: Haris.

She can JOIN any Duo or Haris (Kamau, Orc, Squalo) but all of those troops now have the relevant skill native in their profiles.
    She cannot form an invalid Fireteam
    A Fireteam: Duo Orc + Clipper (Wildcard) is valid.
    A Fireteam: Duo Patsy (wildcard) + Clipper (wildcard) is not valid because Patsy DO NOT count as an Orc.

3. Cannon Fodder

Is there any feasible way to use Patys Haris ability WITHOUT a Kamau or Orc (which have the skill already)?

This was the main discussion point for us. Being Wildcard with both Duo & Harris seems redundant then.

4. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

If she is missing a note "Count as", yes. If not, nope...
    Summoning @Koni and @HellLois

5. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

There's a couple of Fireteam alterations that are sus...

Patsy got changed in N3 to also count as an Orc specifically because she has Haris and Duo and can't use them unless she counts as an Orc, when they introduced/clarified the restrictions on Fireteams. I don't see in the Annex those clarifications, makes me suspect that those restrictions no longer exists - but it's possible that she just won't be able to use her Fireteam skills until they publish the new Fireteam rules.

inane.imp likes this.
  6. Vandroiy

Vandroiy Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Same problem happens with Kornak. Wildcard with haris skill. it's a good idea to clarify what fireteam they can form with that skill.

Mahtamori likes this.
  7. Cannon Fodder

Found another issues with this for Tohaa. The Fireteam list is missing the word Triad

upload_2020-11-17_9-47-36.png
    upload_2020-11-17_9-48-17.png

Also eth Longarms
    upload_2020-11-17_9-50-14.png
    upload_2020-11-17_9-50-49.png

8. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

What's wrong there?
    Kriigel can form a Special Fireteam Triad
    Kriigel has Fireteam Triad in his profile, the special Fireteam is 1 Kriigel + 2 Reex. Completely valid rulewise...

Chaska DOES NOT have the option to form a Fireteam despite having the skills Duo and Haris. To create a Fireteam you need both the relevant skill and the entry in the Sectorial Table. Having only the skill in not enough. There are plenty of profiles in the same situation.

inane.imp and Delta57Dash like this.
  9. Delta57Dash

Delta57Dash Well-Known Member

Also a good thing to note is that Tohaa is a vanilla faction, NOT a sectorial, so you can't form any Fireteams other than Triads anyways.

10. Kaufi

Kaufi New Member

Has this been confirmed... that if its a specific fireteam like 2x Yan Huo FTO + 1x Zhuyong, then only count as models can replace or any wildcard?

11. Mahtamori

I still haven't found anyone to point me to a rule that mimics the old N3 rules that tox refers to, so while I would say that Patsy's Haris is fully functional, I'm still tracking the issue because I know that the opinion that it does not work as it stands is widespread. Fireteam rules have changed slightly in that they now state that with Wildcard substitution you need to have an original member of the Fireteam still present, and a bunch of Fireteams have changed to accomodate this new text.

So in short; no there has been no confirmation, but the limitation tox refers to seems to be gone.
    Do note that the Yan Huo special Haris has changed in that it no longer requires the Zuyong to be the one to have Haris.

12. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I'm not really sure of the distinction you're drawing - the current fireteam rules say

When creating a Fireteam that includes Wildcard Troopers, the player must include at least one Trooper from the Units listed for that Fireteam in the Sectorial chart, or a Trooper that counts as a member of one of those Units.​

How does that not make a Garnett + Clipper duo illegal?

13. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

That's the point.

That Duo is illegal, however most people think that Patsy is supposed to count as an ORC that would make that legal.

toadchild likes this.
  14. Mahtamori

tox' second post about "counts as" is the one I consider to be somewhat outdated because it seems he's referring to the old rules where the owner of the skill determined what type of Fireteam it is. The rules now are content to require an original member of the fireteam, so it is correct that Garnett + Clipper is not valid because neither is an original member of a fireteam.
    So in Varuna I do not think there is an example left to be had where this legacy reading can cause issue, but the one Kaufi brought up does because Yan Huo + Yan Huo + Shang-Ji is now valid even though it is the Shang-Ji providing the Haris skill.

toadchild and inane.imp like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation