1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning To Be Professional [Dahshat Batreps]

Discussion in 'Dahshat Company' started by AssaultUnicorn, Jan 27, 2020.

1. AssaultUnicorn

AssaultUnicorn KTS is the best unit

So the first four of my Dahshat minis (Zuyong, Libertos, Rui Shi, and Zhencha) got painted up and I decided to have a crack at Dahshat Company. This thread will be listing my battle reports, both wins, and losses, as long as I have some useful lessons learned from them.

The first game went today, I played 200 pts vs. Ramah Taskforce. The mission was The Armory.

200 dahshat
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

[​IMG]8 [​IMG]2 [​IMG]1
    ZÚYŎNG (Fireteam: Haris, Tactical Awareness) Combi Rifle + 1 TinBot B (Deflector L2) / 2 Breaker Pistols, Knife. (0.5 | 34)
    RUI SHI Spitfire / Electric Pulse. (1.5 | 20)
    BOUNTY HUNTER Submachine Gun, Akrylat-Kanone / Breaker Pistol, Knife. (0 | 12)
    VALERYA GROMOZ Hacker (Hacking Device UPGRADE: Expel) Combi Rifle + Pitcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 21)
    McMURROUGH 2 Chain Rifles, Grenades, Smoke Grenades / Templar CCW (AP + DA). (0 | 32)
    LIBERTO (CH: Mimetism, Minelayer) Light Shotgun, Chain-colt, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 11)
    GHULAM Lieutenant Rifle + Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 12)
    ZHĒNCHÁ (Forward Observer) Submachine Gun, D.E.P., Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 34)

3.5 SWC | 200 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Essentially, it's just a mishmash of everything that got me initially interested in Dahshat all crammed in a single combat group. The interesting thing I had in mind was to coordinate-loot the Zuyong and the Bounty Hunters and score 3 guaranteed panoply points, and also roll up something useful in addition to the Booty L2 they already had. Didn't get to do that, unfortunately. I'll explain why in a minute.

Ramah Taskforce

[​IMG]8 [​IMG]1
    TARIK MANSURI Lieutenant L2 Spitfire, Nanopulser, Grenades / Pistol, DA CCW. (1.5 | 59)
    GHULAM (NCO) Rifle + Light Grenade Launcher (Normal and Smoke Ammo.) / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 16)
    NAFFATÛN Rifle + Light Flamethrower, Grenades / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 12)
    NAFFATÛN Rifle + Heavy Flamethrower / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 13)
    KHAWARIJ Doctor Plus (MediKit) Boarding Shotgun, Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW. (0 | 30)
    GHULAM Hacker (Hacking Device) Rifle + Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 20)
    SHIHAB REMOTE HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 25)
    FANOUS REMOTE Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    MONSTRUCKER Submachine Gun, Chain Rifle, Drop Bears / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 13)
    NASMAT Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)

4 SWC | 199 Points

Open in Infinity Army

My opponent brought a Core of Ghulams/Naffatuns with Tarik in charge, a TR bot for good measure backed up by a Monstrucker, and a Ghulam Hacker to give some Assister Fire bonuses.

We rolled off and I won the initiative, so I decided to go first and deploy first. The idea was to alpha-strike with McMurrough and Liberto to plow through the enemy DZ and leave them starving for orders.

[​IMG]

The Booty charts:

[​IMG]

The Smoke was a very good find, so much so that I considered just going out with the link and Smoke-Shooting my way through. That was probably the correct course of action that I didn't take, opting to go with McMurrough instead. The opponent deployed defensively with only his TR bot being visible with the Monstrucker close by. The core link with Tarik was in the middle, the flash bot was on the opposite flank.

Dahshat

My first big mistake was made right at the start when I decided to go with McMurrough instead of Libertos. The doggo took many orders getting into proper murdering position, being forced to throw smoke as a second short skill of almost every order. He got into position under the roof where the Monstruker and TR bot were. Before he did that, Tarik managed to catch him in his sights, even though I thought the smoke cloud covered McM completely. He got a wound when trying to dodge with smoke. Finally, he waltzed to his position, made one speculative throw within his 8", and then I realized that I need the remaining orders to reposition the link team. Playing QK, I am used to my alpha-strike pieces getting right on target and either killing the enemy order pool or dying very quickly. McM did none of those things and I questioned my decision to bring him all the way to the DZ when I could do the same with the Libertos who was safeguarded by his limited camo. That's something I will definitely avoid doing in the future. So I shuffled the Zhencha a bit closer to the armory without opening it and repositioned the link to a larger building on the right, deploying the Mimetism BH on the ARO duty with his Akrylat Kanone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ramah

The opponent had to deal with McMurrough and I was totally expecting him to die but not without eating away some of the orders first. Unfortunately, it is here that I mentioned a basic mine trick where you plant one around the corner and then shoot the enemy on the next order. We also discovered that apparently, Kinematika works in any direction, so if there are 4" dividing the two models vertically, nothing stops the model with Kinematika from jumping these 4" and engaging the enemy in this manner. That didn't come into play though. So first the Monstrucker climbs down and plants a mine around the corner, and then he unloads his SMG into McMurrough and knocks him out unconscious who tried dodging with his high PH. The dice were not on my side throughout the game, but it's not just that. I should have held him until turn 2 or so when the enemy was well in the midfield.

[​IMG]

The Tarik core first fired a smoke with the NCO to cover the Bounty Hunter's firing lane and got near the armory but haven't managed to open it.

[​IMG]

Then I started giggling like a child, realizing that if they do manage to open the gates, it would open the LoS for my Zhencha (Imp 1 marker, I only currently have two camo markers on hands) to plant a mine or, even more cheeky, dodge into the Armory on the last order of the group when the Khawarij Doctor would go for the panoply, very likely to out-score him. That and also the fact that the Mimetism BH would see them advancing through the right door. So the opponent pondered a bit until I, in my second burst of friendliness, suggested him spending the orders trying to shoot the Bounty Hunter since opening the gate with that few orders left would basically do my Zhencha a favor. So he did just that. And so Tarik broke off the link and shot my Mimetism BH. And the BH got knocked out.

[​IMG]

He then entered Suppressive Fire and ended his turn. No objective points so far.

Dahshat

Here goes my second blunder. I decided to do a suicide run on the link team. It would have been more order-efficient to go for the left flank of the link team where they clustered near the armory's walls, but the template would have covered more of them if the mine was planted from the right flank instead. So I spent +2 orders going there and planting a mine right in front of the suppressing Tarik who, naturally, killed the Libertos. Then Zhencha opened the gates from the second try and looted the panoply while taking suppressive fire from Tarik. The khawarij amir ate the Libertos' mine and took a wound, still suppressing. The Zhencha then found himself in an awkward position where activating him would grant an ARO to the Naffatun HFT, so I had to use my 4-men core instead. I was short on orders and tried throwing BH's smoke at the Mimetism BH's corner, but I failed my PH and couldn't afford to spend more orders on smoking. The Rui Shi had to kill Tarik. And he didn't. He also couldn't get the Assisted Fire from Valeria since she was too far away and not in the link. 5 dices on 9s VS 3 dices on 10s. Naturally, Tarik won the face-to-face roll and knocked Rui Shi out. I spent my last orders repositioning the remainder of the link to a defensive position behind the building on the right.

[​IMG]

Ramah

The Tarik-less link moved out and tried frying the Zhencha with the HFT. Zhencha dodged into a position to see Tarik in his Suppressive Fire. I reminded that Zhencha's loadout included a D.E.P. that was definitely in the good range band against Tarik.

[​IMG]

The Khawarij Doctor broke off the link, securing the armory and looting one of the panoplies. The three-man fireteam carefully sliced the corner of the south entrance, just enough to see Zhencha, and fried him with the HFT. I had a choice of either planting a mine or dodging. I wasn't ready to lose him so I opted to dodge and failed all the following rolls to survive. Then Tarik shot the +3 ARM BH through the window, reunited with the link, and critted the Zuyong to death. By the end of the turn, I was in the retreat state, so we called it there.

I could see where I had gone wrong. McMurrough is one order-hungry bastard and is not particularly designed for single combat group lists. Order efficiency is everything.

There are also things like suppressive fire which Tarik did and my Zhencha should have also done while standing near the closed armory doors, waiting for them to open to shoot the enemy link team to death in reactive. I also overestimated Bounty Hunters' defensive capabilities (believe it or not but I'm a huge fan of Bounty Hunters in any media and they were the prime reason why I decided to go with Dahshat; I discovered about McMurrough- and Rui Shi-related filth a bit later). ABHs are decidedly better when fending off against other line infantry, sure, but unless they roll up an HMG, a MULTI rifle, or something similarly incredible on the Booty, they really struggle punching anything above their weight.

Another mistake was me getting greedy and spending +2 orders on planting a mine only for it to hit the wrong guy. Again, order efficiency is everything.

Lastly, this is the first control-type mission I had where you score the Objective points at the end of each game round. This threw me off balance because previously I was only doing the "at the end of the game" types of missions like Acquisition and such. You need some resilient and capable gunfighters in order to control the designated area throughout several turns and I currently consider what model is the most reliable for that task in Dahshat.

Overall, it was a good game, even though I failed miserably. It ensures I will be less likely to repeat the errors I did during this game.

2. KestrelM1

KestrelM1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for writing up the battle report, it was fun to read!

One quick note for next time:

The Rui Shi is equipped with a Repeater, so it's never "too far away" from Valerya to receive Supportware. Feel free to set it up wherever!

3. AssaultUnicorn

I TOTALLY forgot about the repeater, thanks!

4. QuilichQora

QuilichQora Panoceania loyalist, former merc

Hell yeah, it feels so good when the Rui shi is running optimized.
    Looking at your list, you may want to consider a different option for smoke generation than solo McMurrough. He is a great model, don't get me wrong, but I tend to think that he is better as an end of game "Clean Up" model. Try not to kamikaze him to your opponents right away, instead break their back with him when they are over extended.
    The big Rui shi link really benefits from Smoke as a way to force opponents out your area. When you go up in points, try an Al Fasid as a useful down range smoke producer. He is expensive in points, but fills a lot of gaps you find/create during gameplay.

Teslarod and AssaultUnicorn like this.
  5. AssaultUnicorn

Today I had the pleasure of playing Quadrant Control against a vanilla CA player. My list for that mission was this:

Hmmm

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]9 [​IMG]1
    MIRANDA ASHCROFT Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Monofilament CC Weapon, Knife. (0 | 24)
    ZÚYŎNG (Tactical Awareness) HMG / 2 Breaker Pistols, Knife. (1.5 | 38)
    KAMEEL (Minesweeper, Repeater) Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    HÚLÁNG Combi Rifle + Light Flamethrower, E/M Grenades, D-Charges / Pistol, Monofilament CC Weapon, Knife. (0 | 44)
    LIBERTO (CH: Mimetism, Minelayer) Light Shotgun, Chain-colt, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 11)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]6
    KAMEEL Hacker (EVO Hacking Device) Electric Pulse. (0.5 | 25)
    SAITO TOGAN Combi Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, EXP CCW, Knife. (0 | 39)
    GHULAM Doctor Plus (MediKit) Rifle + Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 16)

4.5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Basically, I really wanted to bring in the Hulang to see how he fairs in a hold-and-protect kind of game where I heard he shines the most. Saito to cover the flank an enemy may use to approach the Hulang. Sprinkle the flashbots to have LoF to our half of the table. Zuyong Core for midfield lockdown. Miranda as the backup on the left flank, covered by Libertos' mine. Doctor to revive NWI'd Hulang and pals. I figured I didn't need the Engineer to repair Rui Shi since he's worth only 20 points and I expected him to be dead on the second turn anyway.

My opponent's list was this:

Combined Army

[​IMG]9 [​IMG]1 [​IMG]3
    KURGAT Mk12, D-Charges, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 23)
    LIBERTO Submachine Gun, Chain-colt, D.E.P. / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 8)
    NOCTIFER Missile Launcher / Assault Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 32)
    SPHINX Spitfire, 2 Heavy Flamethrowers / EXP CCW. (2 | 106)
    [​IMG] SCINDRON Flash Pulse / Knife. (0 | 0)
    Q-DRONE HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 26)
    SPECULO KILLER Combi Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, Monofilament CCW, Knife. (1 | 35)
    DĀTURAZI Chain Rifle, Grenades, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW. (0 | 14)
    DĀTURAZI Chain Rifle, Grenades, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW. (0 | 14)
    KRAKOT RENEGADE 2 Chain Rifles, Grenades / Pistol, DA CC Weapon. (0 | 14)
    NEXUS Lieutenant Hacker (EI Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Nullifier / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 24)

6 SWC | 296 Points

Open in Infinity Army

He tried testing a Limited Insertion list he had in mind. Looks pretty classic, even though it was the first time when I met a Sphinx and a Noctifer.

We rolled off and my Lt. got a crit. I made a very questionable decision to go first, the opponent said later on that his Limited Insertion list was probably the only thing that didn't let my first-turn strategy to backfire. I understand that you usually need to go last on these kinds of games, but I didn't feel comfortable going second since that particular list did not contain any robust ARO pieces for the enemy to chew through (but let's be honest: flash bots are the best ARO pieces). Previously, I considered using an Al Fasid to stand in some solid piece of cover, either covering the enemy attacks with Smoke LGL or being an HRL roadblock, but I figured that Saito may be more effective in this regard since you can choose when exactly to reveal him to the enemy, and when he does, he will demand attention due to his 39pts cost. The classified I got was Experimental Drug which was perfect for my Doc+ Ghulam.

[​IMG]

Booty tables:

[​IMG]

Smoke grenades again on the same miniature, wow. The other two Bounty Hunters got a definitively better loadout than in the previous game. The ODD guy specifically was pretty rad. More on that later.

The opponent deployed his Q-Drone and the Krakot on the left flank, a Witch Soldier and a Kurgat in the middle. The right flank was covered by another Daturazi and a Sphinx way back in the upper right corner of the table in Hidden Deployment. The obvious Lt. Nexus prone on the balcony, same as my Ghulam. His Liberto was way in the middle of the table, about as middle as it gets, near the belltower. I still think that going first was the right move since the opponent's list is so devastating in the active turn due to the orders-fueled Sphinx. The DataTrackers were Hulang and Kurgat. The reserve trooper on my end was Hulang, on his – Speculo.

One more pretty photo for the road (god I love that Zuyong/Rui Shi paintjob).

[​IMG]

Dahshat

As a preventive action of sorts, I excluded McMurrough from my list, just in case I suddenly have a compulsion to bring him over to the enemy DZ and burn all the orders as I did in the previous game. So the Libertos charged instead, making the beeline towards Krakot (rolled up +1 ARM and Bioimmunity) and Q-Drone. Got discovered about halfway through by the Q-Drone, got into the 8" range, chain-colted the Q-Drone into an unconscious state, got one wound from it and tanked Krakot's chain rifle, gone Dogged. Closed in on the Krakot, blasted him with the Light Shotgun, but Krakot rolled a crit on his Engage ARO. He had the chance of either Berserking me or, which is more likely, winning a normal CC face-to-face roll against Libertos' CC 14. I figured I don't want to waste orders to kill a model that is surely gonna die at the end of the turn.

So, a DataTracker order got flipped and my Hulang rolled out into the midfield, determined to intuitive-burn the enemy Libertos. Just as he was approaching, a Noctifer ML appeared on the rooftop, so I had to dodge that. It was a fair gamble, 12 BS against 12 PH, but neither of the participants succeeded. I had to somehow pull out the Hulang out of this pickle. So I activated the link with the TacAware Zuyong and a couple of regular orders later a Bounty Hunter threw a smoke on the Hulang's position (this time I made sure to make 2 rolls due to the link instead of 1 like before). Then the Rui Shi got to work and unloaded into the Noctifer who was trying to dodge into prone. He failed, receiving one wound and going dogged. I repositioned the Hulang behind a crate, making the ODD Bounty Hunter a link leader. After that, the EVO hacker put the Overclock Supportware on all flash bots (technically Rui Shi also got it, but it was in the link anyway).

[​IMG]

I then spent the remaining orders pulling Miranda to the midfield to score the objective points and covering the right flank with a Nasmat ready to discover Speculo and whatever else that may move through.

[​IMG]

Combined Army

The opponent moved up Krakot towards Miranda, safely hidden behind large buildings from the enemy AROs, the Daturazi rolled out and smoked the midfield. Then, his Libertos activated, trying to SMG my Rui Shi. The Rui Shi outshot him, and the froggo exploded into gibs from the link team's covering fire. Probably should have chain-colted the remote instead.

It was time for plan B, so the opponent rolled out his Sphinx, going through the right flank, burrowing into the midfield and shooting Nasmat and a Fanous. Miraculously, a Nasmat survived and guts'd into total cover behind the crate, Fanous wasn't so lucky. The Sphinx then carefully sliced the corner, targeting the flash bot on the left flank. That's when I sprang the Saito trap, choosing to engage the Sphinx when he was passing through the hallway. It was barely enough for his 3" Engage ARO.

[​IMG]

The Sphinx had to split his burst in favor of killing Saito, so 3 for him, 1 for Fanous. Naturally, Saito got knocked out, but the flash bot survived. The Sphinx then YOLO'd it and went straight for Rui Shi and the ODD link leader, and also giving some to Hulang again, choosing to shoot instead of using DT heavy flamethrowers. The Rui Shi got knocked out, the Hulang fried 2 wounds off Sphinx in exchange for getting NWI'd, and the combined AROs of three B2 Akrylats glued the enemy TAG. He still had those 106 points in that sector, so that was a dubious victory.

The remaining orders were spent on throwing grenades onto my Rui Shi and hitting the Smoke Bounty Hunter with the template. The Smoke guy also got knocked out but didn't die. The ODD Bounty Hunter slotted the grenadier with a shock round from his SMG. They then repositioned along with the Krakot and the Kurgat into the midfield, the former didn't quite manage to get into range to speculative-fire Miranda to death.

And then the turn ended, and the Combined Army scored 3-0.

We made a short break and then figured it was an almost guaranteed victory for Dahshat. With my Doctor and the Nasmat being alive, I had no issues restoring Saito, Hulang, and the Smoke Bounty Hunter, achieving my classified. It was then only a matter of time until the Hulang cleaved Sphinx in two and the link team mopped up the Krakot, the Daturazi, and the Speculo Killer. With that in mind, I would have most likely had a 4-3 advantage, and then, if the CA don't enter the Retreat state, I'd have no issues removing the remaining opposition and scoring 7-3. Still, it was a pretty close game and I understand now the value of going second in such missions. Maybe the Akrylat-Kanone AROs are good and I should consider getting the Mimetism or ODD Bounty Hunters out in the open to eat away at the enemy orders in reactive. But I would rather get a Brawler MSR for that job, maybe even backed up by the Al Fasid's Smoke LGL. I'm still in love with the Haqqislam S5 Heavy Infantry and will still try to make them work, even though the Azra'ils from QK left me quite disenchanted. So maybe the next list would feature a similar unit composition to what I described.

6. AssaultUnicorn

Today I had a pretty one-sided game of Safe Area against IA. There were a couple of glaring errors which I'll elaborate on a bit later, and since it's still a learning experience for me, I figured I'd write about it here.

My list:

QK but it's Dahshat

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]9 [​IMG]1
    BRAWLER (Multispectral Visor L2) MULTI Sniper / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 28)
    SFORZA FTO (Holoprojector L1) Viral Rifle + Adhesive Launcher, Nanopulser / Heavy Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 28)
    ZHĒNCHÁ (Forward Observer) Submachine Gun, D.E.P., Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 34)
    VALERYA GROMOZ Hacker (Hacking Device UPGRADE: Expel) Combi Rifle + Pitcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 21)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]5 [​IMG]1
    MIRANDA ASHCROFT Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Monofilament CC Weapon, Knife. (0 | 24)
    ZÚYŎNG (Tactical Awareness) HMG / 2 Breaker Pistols, Knife. (1.5 | 38)
    BASHI BAZOUK Rifle + Light Shotgun / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 16)

6 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

The idea was in having interchangeable core links: Brawler link with Lucien and 3 Bounty Hunters. Then, after Brawler eventually dies, switch it to Ghulam link with the same wildcards to go into midfield and control some consoles. Rui Shi with Miranda and Zuyong for a mini-death star that could become a new core in case the Bounty Hunters all die.

Safe Area

[​IMG]9
    HǍIDÀO (Multispectral Visor L2) MULTI Sniper / Breaker Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 37)
    ZÚYŎNG (Fireteam: Haris, Tactical Awareness) Combi Rifle + 1 TinBot B (Deflector L2) / 2 Breaker Pistols, Knife. (0.5 | 34)
    TAI SHENG (Chain of Command) Mk12, Chain-colt, Stun Grenades / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (0 | 49)
    PANGGULING FTO (Repeater) Light Shotgun / Electric Pulse. (0 | 13)
    DĀOYĪNG Lieutenant L2 Hacker (Hacking Device) Boarding Shotgun / Breaker Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 29)
    HÙSÒNG Yaókòng HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 25)
    HÙSÒNG Yaókòng HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 25)
    MÓWÁNG (NCO) Red Fury, Akrylat-Kanone / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (1 | 52)

6 SWC | 298 Points

Open in Infinity Army

He finally heeded my suggestion and tried out the infamous Tai Sheng TacAware core with Daoying LT. That's a pretty robust list that's not bad in the ARO duties either thanks to the two TR bots. I used to never leave home without a TR bot in QK myself, but Dahshat has too many interesting toys to pass them up for a regular Shihab. The booty rolled up were MULTI Sniper, ADHL, and Nanopulser.

I'm just gonna skip right towards the errors that were made.

First off, I never knew how utterly DEVASTATING the Tai Sheng core is. Oh my god, that's the most painful of the pain trains I ever encountered. With one flank being open to sneak up on my link team, nothing stopped her from perforating my Lt., Valeria, all Bounty Hunters, all Remotes, and Miranda. The only thing my link team hit was TaiSheng getting glued to the ground with bounty hunter's ADHL. Since Tai Sheng is now in my DZ and not in any quadrants, the opponent gets no Liason Officer bonuses from her.

Being in LoL, I tried shooting one of the Zuyongs with Lucien but got outshot and had to move my Doc+ to revive him.

On the second turn, they killed Lucien for good, tried to discover-shoot the Libertos who dodged into cover and then tried placing a cheeky shotgun template on the link team. It didn't quite work, and Libertos died. They then spread across two sectors, so that the baggage and one TacAware Zuyong were in the one closer to my DZ, and Haidao and the other TacAware – to their DZ. The opponent also advances his Mowang into the midfield.

On my second turn, I move out my Bashi Bazouk to flank the Mowang and manage to sneak one wound with the LSG in his back. Zhencha then hops down with climbing plus near the link team and safely tucks behind a small piece of cover, planting a mine that would hit the Haidao, the baggage bot, and the nearby TacAware Zuyong. I move my TacAware HMG into suppressive fire right in his DZ. He can't move out because of two TR bots covering his position.

Turn three. The Mowang takes a couple of orders trying to kill Bashi and then tries to flank Zhencha and waste him with Red Fury. Then, the main highlight happens as my Zhencha aims his D.E.P.

[​IMG]

Straight into Dead!

The opponent then tries to dislodge the Zhencha and activates the link team with his tacaware zuyong. The mine triggers and wounds the tacaware guy but does nothing to Haidao and the baggage bot. The Zhencha wins the face-to-face roll yet again and knocks out the Zuyong with his SMG. Then his Lt. goes out and stands on the console (I just remembered that she had to be in a non-marker state, but I don't think it mattered).

I had to either be content with 5-1 or risk it and somehow kill the baggage bot, the Haidao, and the remaining Zuyong within three orders. Or try to out-shoot one TR bot at a time with my Zuyong. I figured I had more chances with Zhencha so I repeated the mine trick and tried to split burst between Haidao and TacAware Zuyong. He died instantly, so my final score was 5-0. I also had the option of going up to an unconscious Zuyong and doing the In Extremis classified, but I chose not to do that.

Lessons learned:

– DO NOT go second if you play against an IA who knows what he's doing.
    – Try placing your Lt. prone on the rooftops so that people spend as many orders as possible trying to hunt him. I placed the Lt. thinking he'd be well protected, and, well, I was wrong.
    – Aggressive AROs are black magic and you oftentimes need to make it so your ARO pieces only cover your part of the table, but they should cover it in its entirety if possible. And sometimes, when you intend on your ARO model dying, maybe you should place them out in the open to make that model die on your own terms.

So, that was painful and frustrating. I am hoping to make up for it by playing against another YJ player who might be going with ISS tomorrow.

7. AssaultUnicorn

I had a very enjoyable game of Countermeasures against a Caledonian player. I feel like my brain was operating at its full capacity, but some very lucky dice rolls took place that day too. I gotta say that I dreaded this encounter since I heard Caledonia has plenty of nasty units that can remove half of your roster and put you in LoL turn 1, so there will be a couple of bullet points that I feel had played a crucial role in how the game went.

My roster:

Defensive List

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]9 [​IMG]1 [​IMG]1
    McMURROUGH 2 Chain Rifles, Grenades, Smoke Grenades / Templar CCW (AP + DA). (0 | 32)
    HÚLÁNG Combi Rifle + Light Flamethrower, E/M Grenades, D-Charges / Pistol, Monofilament CC Weapon, Knife. (0 | 44)
    DOZER Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 13)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]6 [​IMG]1
    SFORZA FTO (Holoprojector L1) Viral Rifle + Adhesive Launcher, Nanopulser / Heavy Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 28)
    GHULAM Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 16)
    GHULAM Missile Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 17)
    LIBERTO Submachine Gun, Chain-colt, D.E.P. / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 8)
    KAMEEL Hacker (EVO Hacking Device) Electric Pulse. (0.5 | 25)

5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

It was pretty tight on points, so some sacrifices had to be made. The Kameel EVO was the crucial component IMO since if I had to go second, I needed to squeeze every bit out of my remotes' burst to survive the first turn. A defensive Ghulam link is as strong as ever. The idea is having them outshoot some long-range ARO pieces from their DZ and then get on some rooftop for area lockdown once the coast is clear. I decided to field Rui Shi in solo for the purposes of having a Suppressing Fire MML2 bot in the midfield, and it would also come handy in helping to reveal the camo markers. The Hulang for DataTracking, McMurrough to cover his approach with smoke.

Countermeasures

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]6 [​IMG]2 [​IMG]2
    WALLACE Lieutenant Combi Rifle + Light Flamethrower, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, EXP CCW. (0 | 35)
    HIGHLANDER GREY AP HMG, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, CCW. (1.5 | 34)
    ISOBEL McGREGOR T2 Rifle, Flash Pulse, D-Charges, E/Mauler / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 26)
    VOLUNTEER Chain Rifle, Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 6)
    VOLUNTEER Chain Rifle, Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 6)
    CAMERONIAN 2 Chain Rifles, Grenades, Smoke Grenades / AP CCW. (0 | 25)
    UXÍA McNEILL (Covert Action) (CH: Limited Camouflage, Superior Infiltration, Specialist Operative) Boarding Shotgun, D-Charges, Smoke Grenades / 2 Assault Pistols, AP CCW, Knife. (0 | 27)
    HIGHLANDER Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW. (0 | 6)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]3 [​IMG]4 [​IMG]3
    S.A.S. (Forward Observer) Rifle / Pistol, AP CCW, Knife. (0 | 24)
    SCOT (2nd Battalion) CH: Camouflage Missile Launcher / Assault Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 31)
    CATERAN T2 Sniper Rifle / Pistol, AP CCW. (1 | 24)
    112 Light Shotgun / Pistol, CCW. (0 | 12)

4.5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

It had pretty much everything I expected after reading the Caledonia Tactica. I heard a lot of scary stories about Uxia and Caterans. Wallace is an obvious Lt with effective order-managing tools.

We pulled out the Classifieds and got HVT: Inoculation, Sabotage, and Follow Up.

We rolled for the initiative and I win. I thank the dice gods and elect to go first. The opponent chooses a more defensive DZ, and off we go.

[​IMG]

I tucked everyone I could in total cover, leaving only the expendable flash bots. The booty for a single bounty hunter was an AutoMedkit. BORING! Sforza was posing as Miranda Ashcroft.

[​IMG]

The opponent deployed a couple of standing camo markers on the roof of both left and right flank buildings, one prone camo marker on the rooftop in the forward deployment, Wallace/Isobel/Grey core link in the central building, McM with a highlander on the right flank behind a building, one Galwegian in the middle, another one on the left with a Cameronian. All of his HVTs were clustered on the right flank.

I pull out my Hulang from the reserve, he pulls out Uxia and places her near my DZ on my right flank, within a couple of climbing orders from my Lt, and also having LoF to my Hulang. That was a great deterrent that forced me to consider my first turn carefully. Hulang for my DT, Isobel – for my opponent.

Dahshat

I remove the Inoculate classified and pull Rescue. Meh.

The Impetuous phase does not activate McM, so he just lays prone. I then spend his Irregular order to take a look at Uxia's marker and get into LoF of a right-flank rooftop marker. The marker immediately reveals himself as the ML Scots Guard. I smoke-dodged successfully, putting the smokescreen on top of Uxia's camo.

Since she no longer had any LoF, all that was left is eliminating the ARO piece. One order later the Ghulam Sniper slotted the Scots Guard. Being outside 40" helped a lot.

[​IMG]

With that out of the way, I move out my Hulang carefully in order to not be in LoF of the left-flank camo marker. A couple of orders later he completes the Follow Up (+3 Objective pts) and moves near the right flank DZ building where a Galwegian and the enemy McM hid. To clear the approach for the Hulang, I spend a couple more orders moving Rui Shi out, putting the Assisted Fire on him and reveal-shooting the Cateran, killing him in one burst.

The Hulang slaps a D-Charge and I got only one order left in Group 1, and that was an important moment for me. All D-Charges were in Group 1, so I either detonate them with the Hulang and score one more Objective point, or try to set up my defenses. I choose the latter and spend a coordinated order to put Hulang, Rui Shi, and Ghulam Lt. in Suppressive Fire. I figured I could detonate it on my ARO. I then pull out my Ghulams' big guns on the rooftop to help Rui Shi cover the warbands on the left flank while putting ABH and Sforza covering the right part of the midfield in case the enemy McM decides to come over. Then the Liberto gets within range of smoked up Uxia and intuitive attacks her with chain colt. She fails both the dodge and the ARM save, so my DZ is relatively safe now.

[​IMG]

Liberto then takes cover watching the right flank with his D.E.P.

Caledonia

The opponent pulls off a great move that I hadn't considered: he discards the sabotage card and then pulls the new ones which were Test Run and a Forward Observer one. Nice one!

Impetuous phase. McM holds, his Galwegian brother rushes towards Hulang and puts his chain rifle against my SF. The Galwegian goes dogged, and the TR bot's covering fire turns him into paste. Hulang passes his armor and still holds his position. The warbands on the left go for the Rui Shi who manages to kill one Galwegian while the remaining one and a Cameronian manage to abuse his and Ghulams' LoF to cover themselves with smoke. Isobel pulls out of the building and shoots Hulang, he shoots back. Fails his FTF, passes the armor saves, guts himself into partial cover.

[​IMG]

The Grey Rifle HMG stands up covered by the Galwegian's smoke and shoots the TR bot a couple of times, destroying it completely, also knocking but not quite killing the flash bot on the right flank. This allows his McM to come towards the Hulang. He moves with his first move, not quite managing to engage me yet, I choose to dodge, he moves within base-to-base contact, but Hulang passes his PH and zips 4" back with Kinematika L2, not quite managing to get into LoF of Lucien and ABH, but one more order or successful dodge should be enough.

[​IMG]

At some point, the Wallace link team moves out and goes into the midfield building where the prone camo marker was lying. They go prone while Isobel tries to shoot the Liberto who crit-dodges into total cover. Later on, we misjudged the visual mods a bit, and it turned out that the Liberto also ate a crit or two from Isobel in that FtF, but the froggo didn't do much after that point anyway. Then the prone camo marker moves out and FOs the knocked out Fanous, getting the FO classified.

McM moves out into base to base with the Hulang and asks for the AROs. I had a choice to either hope on a 25% crit with an otherwise useless monofilament CCW (MA3) or try using his DAM 14 knife (MA2) and force the armor save against final damage of 10. I chose the monofilament, afraid that he would want to face-to-face me. Naturally, McM elected to Berserk me. The Monoblade does nothing to McMurrough, and Hulang gets a crit and then fails the following armor save. He did his job well. And with his death, the turn ended.

Dahshat
    I remove the Rescue classified and get the Extreme Prejudice and also pull out something else.

Impetuous phase. McM decides to give in to his anger gets on the rooftop near my Lt. and successfully smokes both his position and Uxia's body. The Liberto enters Frenzy and tries to shoot the enemy McM with his SMG, but fails to do anything and dies to Isobel's ARO. McMurrough then hops down to Uxia and kills her, getting the second classified. I then do some math and decide to pull the central-flank flash bot into Isobel's LoF, figuring that my Dozer will have to spend a lot of orders getting into the right side of the midfield to the unconscious Fanous, and he'd also have to contest Isobel's covering fire. So I decided to sacrifice my Fanous, either getting Isobel stunned, or, hopefully, getting knocked out and saving my Dozer three or four orders getting to his classified. Isobel is successfully stunned, and I spend four more orders getting Dozer to the knocked out Fanous and successfully repair it after one CT reroll, getting the third classified. Then I pull out my Rui Shi out of Galwegian's chain rifle range and kill him with MML2 shock rounds. The Ghulam ML and Sniper in the core repositioned to cover the midfield rooftop where the enemy core link located. Sforza and ABH repositioned a bit and trained their guns on the smokescreen that would reveal McM next turn.

[​IMG]

Caledonia

At that point the club we were in started closing, so we had to hurry it up.

Impetuous. McM does nothing, the Cameronian gets into Rui Shi's LoF and double chain rifles him, the Rui Shi shoots one wound off him and fails an armor save, getting knocked out.

Grey Rifle spent one order shredding the ML Ghulam to death and then got an uncontested flash pulse in his face, dropping prone and getting stunned. The opponent then felt like there's not much else he could do, so he shot a couple of flash bots with his S.A.S. and then called it there since we had a dice down.

With that in mind, it was a 9-1 Dahshat victory!

It was a pretty good game. I can't say that either of us made any glaring errors, although the dice were definitely in my favor. There is an argument to be made that I should have detonated the d-charges on my last order to get me a 10-1 victory, but first, I didn't know whether my Liberto was going to take care of Uxia, and second, having completed his datatracker-specific goal, now Hulang's mission was to be as difficult to dislodge as possible, so SF helped him to achieve that. In retrospect, trading EVO hacker for Valerya and a nasmat would have been a good move that would save Dozer some orders while still allowing to place supportware programs.

Lessons learned:

- Don't be afraid of placing aggressive AROs when you know that your enemy has next to zero long range high burst weapons. Locking down midfield turn one was a huge advantage that forced my opponent to spend more orders to shuffle his soldiers past my ARO models safely.

- Solo models are still dangerous. Don't rush creating a Haris or Core around your good Rambo piece to make it even ramboerer. I'll try using this mantra in my QK games to field some lone Kaplans for a change.

- You can accomplish your mission while barely touching the enemy core link. You don't have to do the DZ blitzkrieg to score points on some missions. You still gotta deal with the enemy AROs, yes, but carefully positioning your troops at the end of the turn may do the trick instead of keeping pushing and pushing.

- If you include a Hulang in your army - the entire list must be built around him, just like with TAGs. You need a couple of units to cover his position, his advance, and then some. I doubt I'm gonna be bringing him just for funzies as Zhencha is a more reliable midfield fighter and objective grabber IMO. But, if you need to cover a very particular niche of "do the objective with datatracker bonuses and then rip and tear into the enemy DZ/midfield" - Hulang's got you covered. And don't bring the dual SMG loadout, it's a trap. LFT is way too good for a faction where you only got two DT fire weapons.

#7 AssaultUnicorn, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Capo.Paint, Teslarod and KestrelM1 like this.
  8. AssaultUnicorn

Another day – another batrep. Today I had a game of Frontline against an ISS player. I got acquainted with the Kuang Shi-intensive army list. Our classifieds were Mapping for me and Coup de Grace for him.

Frontline

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]9 [​IMG]1 [​IMG]1

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]6 [​IMG]2 [​IMG]1
    GHULAM Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 16)
    GHULAM Missile Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 17)
    KUM Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW. (0 | 10)
    LIBERTO (CH: Mimetism) Submachine Gun, Chain-colt, D.E.P. / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 9)

5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

The last game went pretty good with a similar list, so I figured, why not do the same with a few tweaks to some units. Mainly, I swapped Hulang for Zhencha and EVO Hacker – for Valerya. The Core Ghulam link is becoming my favorite core in both QK and Dahshat. I mean, your standard go-to Rui Shi/Zuyong/ABH link team is insanely punchy and cost-effective but there's a couple of issues with it:

– With the MML2 Rui Shi being your most accurate model, you kinda have to move it into the midfield and risk it getting destroyed in the reactive;

– Core links are inherently clunky to park in a good cover, and an S4 Rui Shi doesn't make the situation easier. Such a link increases your chances of leaving some of the models exposed, and you should always expect your opponent to hit you where it hurts. If a Rui Shi in Core dies, the enemy is likely to follow it up with killing the rest of your link team;

– Solo Rui Shi can be buffed just the same and also has a nice bonus of going into SF without having to re-make the Core link afterward. It also doesn't hurt as much if it gets destroyed since it's only 20pts, and that's without mentioning that it can be repaired by Dozer's Nasmat for only 16pts engineer+servant. So it's either losing a single 20pts model with a chance of getting it up or losing it PLUS up to 3 12pts ABHs and a ~30pts Zuyong at best. We're talking here a 90pts Rui Shi 1 TacAware Core at its bare minimum vs. an 89pts Ghulam Core with a Sniper, a Missile Launcher, a damn good Doctor, a BH filler and a crackshot Lucien Sforza for active turn killing who can shoot up to 32" on 13s in full Core. A chad Ghulam link doesn't have to leave their DZ and can reliably kill many non-mimetism/ODD units.

Anyway, enough with me ranting, here's the opponent's list that I gathered from my memory.

Frontline

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]10 [​IMG]8
    CELESTIAL GUARD (Kuang Shi Control Device) Combi Rifle + Light Smoke Grenade Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 13)
    KUANG SHI Chain Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 5)
    SÙ-JIÀN Heavy Shotgun, Light Flamethrower, Panzerfaust / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (0 | 54)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]7 [​IMG]1
    ZHÀNYING Missile Launcher, Nanopulser, Nimbus Grenades / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (1.5 | 28)
    ZHÀNYING Hacker (Hacking Device) Breaker Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0.5 | 32)
    CRANE IMPERIAL AGENT (X Visor) Spitfire, 2 Nanopulsers / Pistol, DA CCW. (2 | 54)
    RUI SHI Spitfire / Electric Pulse. (1 | 20)
    CELESTIAL GUARD Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 13)
    SOPHOTECT Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 31)
    YUDBOT Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
    WARCOR (360º Visor) Flash Pulse / Stun Pistol, Knife. (0 | 3)
    PANGGULING (Minesweeper, Repeater) Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)

5.5 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army

The true Lt. might or might not have been the celestial guard. Once I pulled all of the units from my memory, I figured there was about 9 pts missing, so I filled those with a baggage bot. The Zhanying ML for ARO duties was questionable. Su-Jian was pretty scary, so that painted a big red target on his model right away. A Crane, I wasn't too worried about, maybe due to the fact that I never got to confront him directly. The Rui Shi is a no brainer, the Sophotect is also kinda necessary. Probably a little bit too heavy on Kuang Shis.

We roll off, I win the initiative and go first, the opponent selects the DZ and deploys second.

[​IMG]

Please forgive me for misspelling the Kuang Shis' names, I realized that way too late.

[​IMG]

Dahshat

I got 2 orders cut from my 1st combat group.
    McMurrough Impetuously dashes towards the Su-Jian and smokes a corner near the building. The Kum also rolls out and covers the Zhencha's advance with smoke. Then McM moves a bit closer to a Kuang Shi covering the right-hand corridor to the enemy DZ. The second smoke cloud is enough to provide a safe-ish approach for my Liberto who moves out and gets discovered by the Kuang Shi sentry, but by the time he can shoot the Liberto is already inside the smoke. The freedom fighter then proceeds to do a couple of intuitive chain colt attacks.

[​IMG]

Many of the defenders manage to dodge, I only put two Kuang Shis into dogged. We later remarked that the opponent could just chain rifle the Liberto to death without any mods, but it appeared that he didn't want his 5 pts order monkeys to die or something.

The Zhencha goes around the corner of the building and plants a mine on the left midfield flank. He then re-camos and climbs on top of the building, dropping prone at the end of the order. A couple of guys successfully discover him, but he's no longer visible. I then move Rui Shi into cover so that it covers the 12-24" inches on our side of the table.

Then I coordinate-move all three flash bots a bit closer to the midfield, with two of them seeing the Zhanying ML and trying to flash him. They both fail to do any damage, but the bots also survive. After that I move Kum via his irregular order and try to smoke the middle-left approach to the enemy DZ, seeing a WarCor and a prone Sophotect. I try smoking my way out of this with the LGL, but miss. The Sophotect's Combi knocks the Kum into Dogged, and a successful flash pulse stuns him, so he can't suicide run his way to the enemy Rui Shi as I initially wanted.

The second to last order in the first combat group goes into coordinate-suppressing the Lt, the Zhencha, the Dozer, and the Rui Shi, and the last one goes into McM trying to speculative fire the link team on the other side of the building, but the dog misses. I shuffle my Ghulam link team a bit to let them see the entire midsection of the table and some of the left DZ flank. Then I put Assisted Fire on my TR bot. My turn ends with the Kum dying frothing at the mouth with frustration. The two Kuang Shis follow soon after. The most likely course of action was the Su-Jian/McM confrontation, so I hoped my Liason Zhencha wouldn't have to unload into Su-Jian on the rooftop.

[​IMG]

ISS

The non-linked Kuang Shis rush towards the Liberto and shoot him with their pistols, forcing him into dogged. Then the Zhanying ML shoots him in the back unopposed and kills him for good.

His last heroic moment:

[​IMG]

A couple of other Kuang Shis move towards Zhencha, not managing to run and climb within the same order. The Su-Jian then goes to work and climbs all the way on the rooftop, hoping to get the jump on McMurrough. A couple of flash bots try to stop him without success (I think one of them eats a panzerfaust), and the dreaded HI gets right on top of the dog-warrior, electing to shoot him with its heavy shotgun, even though it was also in the LoF of my TR bot. Two orders later it knocks McMurrough out and gets two wounds from Shihab's uncontested covering fire, going into NWI. A Kuang Shi comes around the corner and performs Coup de Grace on McM. The link then partially moves out into the midfield on the right.

After that, the Crane moves a bit closer to Zhencha's position, ready to shoot him in case he wants to climb down. The enemy Rui Shi then gets buffed with MML2 and tries to shoot a flash pulse bot on the left flank without success. It then goes into cover, having LoF to the entire left section of the table. At some point, the Su-Jian tried to move back from the rooftop and shoots its Panzerfaust against TR bot's HMG and gets destroyed.

As is the tradition at this point, I had little time and had to get to work, so we tried to hurry it up and end the game on turn 2.

Dahshat

I looked at my classified and decided to do it with my Liason Officer. He plants a mine on the edge of the rooftop so that it covers both the Crane and a Kuang Shi. He then re-camos and climbs down, rushing for the scenery item in the DZ. He doesn't get discovered and stumbles upon a Zhanying hacker that I hadn't noticed until now. Zhencha successfully knocks him out and then spends two orders trying to make a WIP roll without success, and then suddenly I'm all out of orders and have no people in my central sector. The Ghulam link doesn't make it to the midfield either, but they can still shoot the Rui Shi from a long-range which they do successfully.

ISS

Basically, we only had time to do a couple of orders and they all went into trying to kill Zhencha. I could elect to make him do WIP rolls as an ARO but I was feeling up for a fight, so I said screw it to the classified.

The Kuang Shi impetuously moved out, triggering a mine that covered both him and the Crane. I don't actually remember whether it did any damage at all. The ML Zhanying switched his position and tried blasting Zhancha who responded with his D.E.P., his 9 against my 12. I roll 11, and he rolls 5 or something similar, and the Zhanying agent blows to smithereens.

We then called it there and it turned out we would have had a tie if not for a sudden flash of stupidity on the Zhencha's part. Well, that, and I also got greedy. I should have stayed prone on the roof out in the midfield to score for the territory and then carefully move the Rui Shi out to either take care of the Kuang Shis on the right or go left and let the Ghulam core cover the right flank.

So it ended in a 2-1 ISS victory.

I'm gonna take a break from playing Infinity for a couple of days, I could barely keep it together between having little to no sleep, night shifts, and the other real-life stuff.

#8 AssaultUnicorn, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Capo.Paint, Teslarod and KestrelM1 like this.
  9. KestrelM1

Just wanna drop in with another hot tip: D-Charges have a CC mode, and combined with the Hulang's MA3 and CC22, this means you don't have to plant + detonate with two separate orders. You can just use the CC mode combined with Martial Arts L3 to give yourself a guaranteed detonation on 22s. Really convenient for the Sabotage classified.

Also, only Engineers can remotely detonate D-Charges.

Really enjoying the reports, keep up the great work!

10. AssaultUnicorn

We actually asked other guys in the club regarding the CC mode and they pointed out that, as stated in the ruleset: "To be able to use a D-Charge in CC Mode, the user must be in or enter base to base contact with an enemy trooper." So we thought that a scenery building =/= enemy trooper, therefore we couldn't do the CC attack, even though some missions like Looting and Sabotage do allow its use, but we figured it was an exception and not the rule.

That said, the latest FAQ seems to go against that, so it appears as if L&S is not the only exception:

Q: How does Close Combat work against a Scenery Item?

A: In those scenarios in which it is allowed or required to destroy Scenery Items in Close Combat, they count as enemy troops for the purposes of declaring CC Attack, using CC Special Skills and gaining bonuses for multiple combatants (for example, Fireteams or Coordinated Orders). Note that at the end of the Order, the Scenery Item will not cause any trooper to be in the Engaged state.

I'm enjoying posting these batreps myself too, thanks!

11. KestrelM1

Yeah, unfortunately the rules for Close Combat versus Scenery are in dire need of clean-up because CB was not consistent with their usage of "enemy" and "enemy trooper" in the skills.

I assume it is intended that you can use D-Charges as CC attacks against Scenery. The rules may not reflect this. As always ask your TO and/or opponent :)

12. Capo.Paint

Capo.Paint Well-Known Member

Nice reports and nice to see you having success with Dashat! I agree on most of your learning points, especially regarding AROs and linked REMs. But what I totally can't understand is taking Gromoz over the EVO-Kameel! Of course, she is cheaper, but it is hard to get her out of trouble and even harder to keep her alive.
    How is your feeling about the massed Fanous'? Are you missing the Rafiq to deal with camos?

AssaultUnicorn likes this.
  13. AssaultUnicorn

Honestly, it just comes down to points, and I have rarely been forced to go second in my recent games so I never felt the need of putting Overclock on my flash bots. So we'll just have to wait until I fail the initiative and my decision eventually bites me in the butt.

Aside from that, if we're talking games where you go first, she always tends to stay in my DZ and I never include her in link teams. And in this regard, she is easier to hide than an S4 EVO baggage bot. Mostly the chain of logic goes like this:
    1) I field a Rui Shi;
    2) Having an engineer to revive it would be handy;
    3) Oh no, my Rui Shi gets unconscious'd and my engineer gets locked down by an enemy sniper;
    4) If only I could have 3 more points to have a servant bot elsewhere on the table!
    5) I look at the roster, do some math, and figure that I want to keep my Zhencha, my Ghulam Doc, my McM, and other toys, so sacrificing Kameel is the least painful thing I can do in this situation.

Now that I think about it, it does feel like a waste of points when you have a specialist hacker just chilling in the DZ without scoring any objectives.

I never had the opportunity to field one. I had a roster with a Rafiq Red Fury in mind when preparing to face against Caledonia, but then something changed and I traded it for other stuff. On paper, though, this piece looks awesome: a great toolbox with assault weaponry to boot. It must feel great rolling 4 dice on Triangulated Fire across the map, even if you only succeed on 8s. I'll have to give it a try sometime in the future. I currently only have 4 Haqqislam rems, and those are 3 Fanouses and 1 Shihab, so I'm gonna need to either proxy the sensor bot or buy myself a new box. Maybe after that I'll even consider using a Smart Missile remote lol.

14. Bri77le

Bri77le Member

i am a huge fan of Sforza in the link pretending to be Miranda. Furthermore, Sforza pretending to be a boarding shotgun Odalisque is funny. enemy thinks he can skirt the range band of the shotgun and gets blasted with viral rifle.

15. AssaultUnicorn

Yeah, but to be honest, that only works in the reactive turn. Very few players would buy a model with a BSG trying to shoot the enemy mid/long-range in the active turn.

Regarding the Odalisque: I've been wanting to test this Haris for quite a while now, but then the covid-19 shitstorm happened, so I had to resort to TTS (which in turn seduced me to try out Ikari and StarCo).

Dahshat Company

[​IMG]3
    ODALISQUE (Fireteam: Haris) Rifle + Light Shotgun, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 25)
    BOUNTY HUNTER Red Fury / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 21)

1 SWC | 70 Points

Open in Infinity Army

So here's a thing: ABH Red Fury for active turn shooting. Odalisque and Miranda for going around the corner and eating an enemy model in CC. Basically, if you manage to park this Haris within 4" from an enemy, you make Miranda the Haris leader and move her along with the Odalisque to the enemy model. In case it is some CC specialist, he gets -9 from Odalisque's I-Kohl. Should he try to shoot anyone, he has even worse odds since i-kohl provides -9 to ANY skill an opponent chooses to respond with on their ARO. And if he chooses to shoot Miranda, i-kohl combines with her ODD, making her practically invincible against attacks that require a roll. Add that a B2 monofilament CCW that would be hitting the enemy on 19 (16 worst case if the enemy has MA1/MA3) AND a possibility of the Red Fury ABH getting smoke grenades – and you get an incredibly deadly midfield death squad, provided you can clear a path for them on turn one.

Although all these CC shenanigans are largely unsupported by the current meta, I still like this Haris nonetheless.

Golem2God and Bri77le like this.
  16. KestrelM1

Great minds must think alike, because I was thinking about this exact trick myself.

Sadly after a close reading of the rules I don't think the Odalisque's i-Kohl will protect Miranda, as it seems to apply only when the Odalisque herself is the one performing a CC action. Miranda does have i-Kohl L1 herself so that will help.

jfunkd likes this.
  17. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

Hopefully when N4 drops seeming contradictions will be a thing of the past. Rules should hopefully be easier to read and therefore things like this will be part of the bygone days. At least we all hope that shall be the case with this edition.

18. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I like it! It's got a good theme too. For some reason I think of Charlies Angels type of thing. I think Miranda is under rated. ODD in a link is really good. Not many can have that at such cheap cost. True it's just a Combi but then some wont be able to shoot back.

19. AssaultUnicorn

Had an interesting live game (FINALLY) against an Onyx player. We played Quadrant Control with Tactical Window rule.

Ugh

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]8 [​IMG]2 [​IMG]1
    FASID HMG + (Smoke and Normal) Light Grenade Launcher, Antipersonnel Mines / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (2 | 53)
    BASHI BAZOUK Submachine Gun, Chain-colt / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 12)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]3 [​IMG]2
    LIBERTO (CH: Mimetism) Submachine Gun, Chain-colt, D.E.P. / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 9)
    HUNZAKUT (Deployable Repeater) Rifle + Light Grenade Launcher, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 18)

6 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Tactical Window is awkward for Dahshat. Fasid would be the DataTracker. Liberto and MCM for Alpha Strike, Zuyong Core for some midfield control, Shihab on the defensive, with one ABH unlinked, guarding the DZ. Bashi Bazouk for some turn three surprises. Hunzakut to spec fire someone in case she's lucky.

Onyx Contact Force

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]10
    NEXUS Lieutenant Hacker (EI Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Nullifier / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 24)
    UNIDRON (Forward Observer) Plasma Carbine / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 15)
    UNIDRON Missile Launcher, Light Shotgun / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (1.5 | 20)
    UNIDRON Spitfire / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (1 | 18)
    MED-TECH OBSIDON MEDCHANOID (Journalist L1) Submachine Gun, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 22)
    SLAVE DRONE Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
    IKADRON (Baggage, Repeater) 2 Light Flamethrowers, Flash Pulse / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 9)
    IKADRON (Baggage, Repeater) 2 Light Flamethrowers, Flash Pulse / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 9)
    Q-DRONE HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 26)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]5
    R-DRONE Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    E-DRONE Combi Rifle / Electric Pulse. (0.5 | 28)
    KERR-NAU (UPGRADE: White Noise) Plasma Rifle + Pitcher, D-Charges / Breaker Pistol, Knife. (0 | 27)
    FRAACTA Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 29)
    NOCTIFER Missile Launcher / Assault Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 32)

6 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

The group composition may have been different, but that's the gist of it. A drop troop, a core link, an EVO hacker, a Noctifer. Ikadrons are quite good for this mission as well.

I lost the initiative and had to deploy first and go first. We did not use our classified for the Intelcom points.

[​IMG]

The table is pretty generous with cover, especially the right side. This is why I deployed the core and McM there. Shihab to scare off some enemies advancing from long-range. All that Fasid needs to do is basically move once outside of the DZ and then hold his position. Ideally, McM should do some damage to Unidrons and Liberto can scare some people off if he gets close enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dahshat

McMurrough dashes with his Impetuous move and smokes his advancement on the right flank. He then carefully weaves between buildings, getting close to two Unidrons: the ML on the rooftop and the FO in the building. He lunges for them and puts a double chain rifle on them, they shoot back, but all tank their saves. McM then goes to the corner of the building and splits his targets with chain rifles, hitting two more Unidrons (another FO and Spitfire). They shoot back and remove him straight into Dead, while out of four batroids only one fails his ARM save (the Spitfire guy) and drops unconscious. Not a good trade, I will have to improve my tactics with McM.

The Liberto then activates and moves along the smoked pathway that the dog-warrior provided. The link of Unidrons delays, allowing him to close his distance to the Nexus Lt. He spends the final order in his combat group unloading his SMG into the Nexus, successfully killing him while going Dogged himself.

[​IMG]

The remaining orders go into the Hunzakut, advancing her inside of the midfield building for speculative fire tricks on Round 2. The Fasid goes into the left sector with his DT order and plants a mine on his way.

[​IMG]

The link spends their Tactical Awareness order moving into the right sector and throwing Rui Shi on overwatch duties to kill anyone who tries to revive the downed Spitfire Unidron.

Onyx

Loss of Lieutenant. Kerr-Nau moves out into the midfield for his DT order and then launches a pitcher near the link team. The EVO Hacker then tries isolating the Zuyong, but thanks to TinBot and Valerya's intervention no damage was done. A couple of command tokens later Kerr-Nau successfully fries Valerya with Trinity through Rui Shi's repeater. I am not sure if we played that correctly since we did not consider TinBot's modifiers when hacking through Rui Shi (please let me know if they apply if you are using Rui Shi as a repeater but not as a target of the hacking attack). Then, a Noctifer appears and blasts my HMG Bounty Hunter outta the sky, followed by the Shihab who was dropped into the Unconscious L2. Ikadrons advance to their sectors with their orders. A Slave drone tries suicide-reviving the Spitfire Unidron but fails both the ARM saves and the WIP roll. We both score 2-2.

I move Dozer and the Hunzakut to Group 1. The engineer crawls to the TR bot and revives it, accomplishing the classified objective.

[​IMG]

The Zuyong link advances further, Bounty Hunter smoking up the advance. Rui Shi destroys Kerr-Nau's repeater safely and then fires through smoke on the ML and destroys it straight into Dead. The Zuyong then takes over and pokes his head out, unloading into the FO Unidron in the building, shooting it into Dogged. He then goes a bit further and splits his burst: three into Kerr-Nau, one into Unidron, killing everyone successfully. Then they retreat a bit closer to the midfield, ready to kill anyone who dares coming to them.

[​IMG]

The Hunzakut tries speculative firing the Ikadron close by but fails to hit him. Fasid tries doing the same from the long-range, but Ikadron critically dodges his grenade.

Onyx

Noctifer takes a couple of shots and destroys the Dozer while doing nothing to the TR bot. Fraacta drops down unopposed into my opened up DZ. She first eliminates the Shihab from close range through the gap in the roof's railing and then climbs on top of the crate to see the lying Lt, being outside of the trigger area of Fasid's mines. He tries shooting her and successfully sneaks in a wound, forcing her to transmute.

[​IMG]

I forgot about the Hunzakut's long-range ARO from the building. Fraacta then goes to the edge of the crate to flank the Lt and shoots him into Unconscious, while the Hunzakut disposes of him.

Ikadrons go closer to the midfield, one of them freeing up a table edge my Bashi Bazouk is supposed to go from.

We score 3-0 in my favor plus 1 objective for the classified card, making it 6-2.

Dahshat

Loss of Lieutenant for me. I convert two orders from the link into Regular, making it 3 regular orders total with the Al Fasid's Veteran skill. I move out my Bashi from the edge of the table. One of the Holoechoes knocks down the door, seeing an Ikadron inside the building and another one outside of the Hunzakut's building. Noctifer shoots all three Holoechoes with a template while Bashi crits the Ikadron inside the building but misses the one outside of the Hunzakut's house. She tanks the Light Flamethrower but gets knocked out by the ML.

Al Fasid spends his DT order trying to spec-fire the surviving Ikadron but fails. Hunzakut tries doing the same to the TR bot without success.

We then checked the rules on a conundrum of whether spending Tactical Awareness order in a link while in Loss of Lieutenant will break the link and we came to the conclusion that it won't. Again, feel free to correct me in this thread. So the Zuyong spends his TA order to shuffle people and smother the right side of the enemy DZ.

[​IMG]

Onyx

The TR Bot gets buffed by MML2 and goes to town in hopes of killing my DataTracker. It tries shooting the Fasid who smoke dodges, launching a grenade into the alleyway. He rolls an 18 while needing 16 or less and gets a wound. The TR bot then crosses the overwatch line of my Chain Rifle bounty hunter an unloads everything into him. The Fasid rolls another 18 on his smoke dodge while the Bounty Hunter misses but tanks the HMG shots, gutsing back into total cover. The Q-Drone then goes further and the Fasid now decides to shoot the Drone with his HMG instead, looking for 13s. He rolls a 16 but tanks the armor saves. The remote then rides towards Al Fasid in the zero-range-band breaches his ZoC, so the Fasid delays with his SSL1. The Q-Drone spends the last order in his group. It shoots and the Fasid tries hitting him with the smoke grenade on a 16 just outside of his ZoC. Maybe now he will roll a 16 and crit?

[​IMG]

He misses again and gets critted into the Unconscious.

The remaining Ikadron goes to the link team and tries frying them with the Light Flamethrower. They all dodge successfully. The Ikadron spends the remaining order in that group trying to fry them again and this time the Chain Rifle Bounty Hunter blasts the Ikadrone with the template while the remaining 4-man link dodges successfully. Both Ikadron and the Bounty Hunter die.

We tie on quadrants and gain 1-1, making it 7-3 in total.

Dahshat Company Wins

– McMurrough. Learn to McMurrough.

– I need to up my skills by defending my DZ against drop troops and cover all possible advancement points.

#19 AssaultUnicorn, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  20. Capo.Paint

Capo.Paint Well-Known Member

Nice game and nice report! (I see no picutres here, but that can be my problem?)

Well, first you should do some voodoo-stuff to get rid of your poor dice! Having nearly no impact with McMurder on the Unidrons and loosing the Fasid to the Q-Drone was not the expectable outcome (84% of inflicting one wound to a shooting Unidorn, 38% to 38% for Fasid and Q-Drone). Besides that, you did things well and going for the Lt-kill in turn one may have secured you from some more havoc in turn one.

What I see as an absolute strength on your side is the ability to utilize a full core-team in an aggressive way and positioning them somewhere in the midfield as a real speed-bump. Especially with such a cheap link, it is quite hard to engage such a brick, once there is no suicide-template available. But then there is this trade-of to your defense. You have Valeria, your Lt and the Shihab quite vulnerable when it comes close, but you need each of them tu survive (Valeria to have at least some protection against AD, Shihab for reasons, as well as the Lt). Maybe it could be a good use to deploy the Bashi Bazouk around the Lt to hide the real target and to get some more eyes into your DZ.

I oversaw the Hunzakut LGL first by reading your list. I can imagine your reasons for including him, but it turned out in the expected way, didn't it? Here it comes back to my initial point in his discussion: Without support you need to choose your targets carefully and now when to stop. Hitting on 8s isn't reliable in most cases. And once you are only on the 8s for the LGL, you can't plan your turn around this and can't use him to grenade the enemy DZ or something like this. You are limited to the midfield, where you can also use the Fasid. By turning the LGL into the FO, you get the support for the Fasid to do all the nice stuff with two points more on BS in each case! This should prevent you from overinvesting into this and push the Fasid one more time.

Brokenwolf and AssaultUnicorn like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation