1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid question...

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Blakhart, Feb 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blakhart

Blakhart Well-Known Member

Is throwing Smoke (as a Spec shot) considered an Attack?

2. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Keyrott likes this.
  3. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Yes. Speculative Shot has the attack label.

Note that the example in Speculative Fire:
    http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Speculative_Fire
    is a model using Speculative Fire to throw smoke to cover an enemy model, which gets to react with a normal roll (PH-3) to try to move outside of the smoke template.

Smoke Ammunition has a bunch of "Is it treated as an attack or not?" confusions caused by how CB chose to write its rules. Are there specific interactions that you're thinking about?

Keyrott likes this.
  4. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I believe that the only case of "It's not an Attack" that matters is that It's not treated as an Attack for determining if the template is cancelled or not when clipping friendly troopers.

DukeofEarl and chromedog like this.
  5. Diphoration

Warcor

Also, not a Stupid Question, Smoke Ammunition is probably one of the worst written rule in the game.

A BS Attack that does not use the BS Attribute and is not an Attack (except that it still uses a Attack Skill) to do a Special Dodge (which is not a Dodge) and also not something that you declare, because Special Dodge an attribute and not a skill. :thinking_face:

6. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

It's been also argued for Stun (ie. A Stunned trooper can still perform BS Attack with Smoke Grenades).

@OP What particular issue are you trying to understand?

7. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Wouldn't that technicly result in smoke grenades not being usable during Impetues move ? (as hilarious as it sounds)

8. inane.imp

Yes. That has also been argued.

9. Blakhart

Blakhart Well-Known Member

So last night, two "newer" players had a game. I was asked if you could Dodge a Spec Smoke. I was not really paying attention and said "I'm not sure. I think because it's not an Attack, no." Again... I don't know what I was thinking. One of the players said that it does count as an Attack. Long story short, we got into a debate about if Smoke itself, not how it is delivered, ruled if it was an Attack. I couldn't recall why I thought it was until I just read your post saying that there was a Debate about being able to use it while Stunned. I think that is where I got the idea that it "wasn't" an actual Attack.

Sidenote: I do know you can Dodge any Template and that is why you CAN Dodge a Smoke. My actual question now, Does Smoke make itself NOT an Attack?

10. inane.imp

Yes / No / Maybe.

Yes. Smoke states (under the Smoke and Spec Fire section incidentally) "it is a Special Dodge and not an Attack."

No. Everyone* agrees that you can BS Attack with Smoke Grenades as part of an Impetuous Order.

Maybe. It's still unanswered, see this thread. https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/unsolved-question-list.26932/

* for values of 'everyone' that excludes people who are arguing the toss on forums for the sake of pointing out that whether a BS Attack with Smoke Grenades is or is not an Attack is confusing.

11. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Yes, you can dodge when under the Smoke template, because you are affected by a template weapon. However, because it is not an attack, it will not be a face to face.

See my added underline emphasis below

http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Smoke_Special_Ammunition

Example of Impact Template weapons and Smoke
    In his Active Turn, a Shaolin Monk decides to lob a Smoke Grenade at a few Fusiliers in order to sneak up on them. The Shaolin declares a Special Dodge with his Smoke Grenade and places the Template on the table. A total of 3 Fusiliers are affected by the Template's Area of Effect.
    Two of them declare BS Attack as their ARO against the Shaolin's declaration. This means there are two Face to Face BS Rolls against the one PH Roll made by the Shaolin.
    The third Fusilier does not have LoF to the Shaolin but, being affected by the Area of Effect, he can react with a Dodge in ARO. He declares Dodge so that, if he passes his Roll, he can move outside the Template. In this situation, the Fusilier must make a Normal PH-3 Roll to Dodge.
    The dice roll, and the Shaolin does better than the two firing Fusiliers, so he gets to leave his Smoke Circular Template on the table and avoid both attacks.
    Meanwhile, the Dodging Fusilier passes his Normal PH-3 Roll and moves 2 inches to get outside the Circular Template.
    Imagine that one of the Fusiliers who declared a BS Attack loses his Face to Face Roll against the Shaolin, but the other Fusilier who declared a BS Attack wins it. In that case, the Shaolin would avoid the first Fusilier's Attack, but would be forced to make an ARM Roll by the second Fusilier's BS Attack. In addition, the owner of the Shaolin would have to remove the Smoke Template from the table.

12. Diphoration

Warcor

I don’t think you can take a position that makes it so you can both throw Smoke while Impetuous and throw Smoke while stunned.

I personally interpret the rule as the declaration is still an Attack (BS Attack) and therefore valid order in Impetuous and Invalid order while blinded. But that the Template itself is not an Attack only for the purpose of friendly fire.

I think this works RAW and makes the most RAI sense. But the wording on this rule is a total mess.

inane.imp and DukeofEarl like this.
  13. inane.imp

This would stop you throwing it while Stunned, because you can't declare Attacks while Stunned.

Personally I agree with you. I'm mostly pointing out what's known to be established on this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation