1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if

Discussion in 'Rules' started by konuhageruke, Jan 15, 2020.

1. konuhageruke

konuhageruke Well-Known Member
    Warcor

So yesterday I had a small dispute on a friendly game.
    My firirend was arguing, that with What If he can use any character tactic that is not in the tacktics deck. I was on the side that he can choose only from those cards that were not picked for the characters he currently plays with.
    I do not have the card with me, so I am not able to quote the words. What is the correct approach?

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  2. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

It reads:
    What we meant is that you only choose from the Tactics of one of your Team's Characters. You cannot choose from whoever you want. So is the name: "What if I had chosen that Tactic...?"

:wink:

3. CAnon

CAnon Well-Known Member

Huh. I'd honestly never considered that interpretation your friend selected. Unfortunately, it doesn't stand up to the wording.

What if only allows you to select an unchosen tactic for one of "your characters".

Obviously, Aristos you are using in any given match are "your characters".
    Likewise, any outside your line-up are clearly not your characters (for the purposes of the game).

I had thought there may be some ambiguity for characters not in the match but in your line-up, if you were very generous and loose with meaning, but even here it seems pretty clear-cut. Nowhere in the AGL document does it refer to Aristos in your line-up as "your characters" until they've actually been selected to play.

So, yeah.

4. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

I can see an argument, in a tournament or league setting, that "My 8 are my Characters".

And then arguing from there that you could pull a Tactic from any of those, regardless of the 4 you have in the Hexadome.

But @-V- is clear above, so there's no further discussion.

inane.imp likes this.
  5. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

This would actually be interesting as it would open up the tactics of banned characters.

6. rag1n

rag1n Well-Known Member
    Aristeia! Warcor

Despite the card not being as precise as it could be the intention of the card is pretty clear, if you ask me.

7. HarlequinOfDeath

HarlequinOfDeath Tha Taskmastaaa
    Warcor

@rag1n I wouldn't be that sure in tournaments because of this ruling:

RESERVE ZONE Each Player will designate an area next to their Control Panel to place their miniatures, their Team Characters, and Initiative cards when they’re not playing.

SUBSTITUTIONS At the beginning of the Nanotherapy Step, during the Recovery Phase of each Round, the Players can exchange any number of Characters in Reserve Zone for Characters that are in the Infirmary. When a Character from the Reserve Zone replaces another in the Infirmary, the Miniatures, the Character card, and Initiative card of that Character needs to be exchanged with the Character they are replacing. The Initiative card of an Incoming Character is placed in the same position as the Outgoing Character. The incoming Characters will receive, therefore, the -2e State when going to the Bench during this step.

I have never seen somebody use this. However, it is quite powerful. And the Reserve Zone mentions Team Characters as well. So which characters are meant? Only the ones in the Hexadome or in the Reserve Zone as well?

#7 HarlequinOfDeath, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  8. Damiel

Damiel Domaru sexytorizado :3
    Warcor

Those two are only for Open tournaments using Final Boss (Semy 2.0) mod. They don't apply in any other situation...

:3

9. HarlequinOfDeath

HarlequinOfDeath Tha Taskmastaaa
    Warcor

Oh, my mistake. In this case it is pretty clear how What if? works imo.

10. krotos

krotos Well-Known Member

So I can use tactics from characters that are battling in Hexadome or from whole 8 team that I bring to tournament?

11. Damiel

Warcor

As the Wiki says:

So, only battling Aristoi

(Edit: further reading, at Steup entry:

:3)

Croepoek likes this.
  12. JAGS

JAGS Member

What if... I remove a card from the game (Desire or Destiny allow it)... does it still count as "part of my Tactics Deck" or I can now select it whit "What If..." and use them again?

13. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

My instinct is to say no.

But the rest of your Tactics which aren't in your Deck wouldn't usually be considered to be part of the game, so that makes me less sure.

14. Damiel

Warcor

It does, as it has been selected to be part of your Deck (even if at any moment it's removed from play)

Furthermore, in Tactics:

Hope this helps

CAnon and -V- like this.
  15. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

Damiel's right,

Though the card is removed from the game, we consider it's still part of your deck (I think other popular card games do so). The idea behind "What If..." (name taken from the Marvel Comicbooks Series, btw) is to choose between those Tactics not selected while building the Tactics deck (Step 4 "Bulding the Tactics Deck" of the Setup). And this means you only have in mind the 4 chars which are the team you are playing with (Step 2 of the Setup).

:wink:

volgo, CAnon, Croepoek and 3 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation