1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potential Issue with Discover FAQ as written

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by DukeofEarl, Sep 13, 2019.

1. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

So I think we can all agree that the purpose of this ruling in the last FAQ was to stop Discover+Discover against the same target in one order.
    Unfortunately as written it seems to cause a problem with G:Synchronized and Coordinated Order (and possibly more).

In both those situations all the units are Declaring the skill (also backed up by marker units being revealed even if they can't perform the declared action leading to an Idle) and since it has been ruled that you can not declare two Discover Skills (RAW) it leaves a bit of a problem that could be cleaned up.

Hecaton likes this.
  2. Cartographer

Cartographer Well-Known Member

It's untidy but:
    You're only declaring the skill once in a coordinated or G:Sync'd order, just with multiple participants.

3. DukeofEarl

That's not what the rule says though. Everyone is declaring it individually.

A simple change would be to add in "with a single trooper" to the FAQ

meikyoushisui likes this.
  4. Cartographer

G:Sync actually says "must declare the same Order, declaring the same Short Skills of the Order. "
    Coordinated Order is a little different in that it says: "must declare and execute the exact same sequence of Skills."

Frankly, I think you're seeing holes where there is already sufficient clarity for play.

Yes, the FAQ could have been worded better, but equally expecting a general answer to address every special case (and all potential future cases) is a bit much.

5. DukeofEarl

In both those wording those you are Declaring more than once due to the wording as "all participating troopers/all participants" declare it.

I led my initial post with the caveat that we probably all understand what was meant. The simple truth though is words (when no locked into tight definitions by the system) can be used in different ways and that leads to grey areas and misunderstandings.

6. Bohrdog

Bohrdog Santathematics

How are you declaring more than once?
    The spearhead is declaring the order or the unit with a G: Sync attached is declaring the order.

chromedog likes this.
  7. DukeofEarl

Read the quotes. They specifically say "all" units declare.

8. Bohrdog

Bohrdog Santathematics

It's still only once.

chromedog likes this.
  9. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

DukeofEarl likes this.
  10. DukeofEarl

Explain to me please how 4 units in a Coordinated order all Declaring Discover on the same marker does not equal Declaring, "two Discover skill against same marker in one order"

11. DukeofEarl

Funny I had commented on that thread myself.
    I agree with IJW's ruling on it, but the wording could be clarified as his reasoning doesn't fit with the actual rules for Coordinated Orders and Synch as far as I can tell and even if they did the wording of the FAQ doesn't limit it to a single unit, but to the order.

12. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I agree that the wording of the FAQ could be better but I don't think it's a critical issue.

BLOODGOD and DukeofEarl like this.
  13. Cartographer

You're choosing to read "must declare the same Order, declaring the same Short Skills" as meaning they're all declaring a separate set of skills that happens to be the same, this is wrong. What it is saying is they're all declaring one short skill, the same one.

chromedog likes this.
  14. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Who is this "I"?
    Is it "I, the soldier on the field" or is it "I, the player commanding my soldiers"?

15. DukeofEarl

I'm not choosing to read. I'm pointing out that some people might read it that way and there is nothing to say one way or the other which is correct other than consensus.

toadchild likes this.
  16. Arkhos94

Arkhos94 Well-Known Member

The FAQ was here to answer the question : can I declare discover+discover on the same mini (useful vs TO/Imp)

The FAQ says "no you can't"

In case of multiple activation (G:Sync, coordinated...), each trooper must declare the same skill but each deaclaration stay separated, so no issue here. Wording of the FAQ could be better but no issue here

17. DukeofEarl

I know that is the intent, but it is not what the FAQ says. It literally states "Declare two Discovers in the same order". Only one order is spent and multiple declarations of the skill are happening.

Again for those with comprehension issues; I understand the purpose of the FAQ, but as written it is not saying what it was intended to and is opening up a situation that could lead to confusion by players.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation