1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arloid's corner of unfulfilled promises

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Arloid, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Arloid

Arloid Well-Known Member

Anyone who knows me a bit knows I'm not a person likely to finish projects, I rarely paint and when it comes to terrain I tend to get stuck in the design process. I feel I've grown a bit on the last department, I'm a lot more confident with the software and actually have the feeling I know what I'm doing...that's right this threat will mostly be about 3d printing and designing terrain digitally. :mask:

Be prepared though, I'm still unlikely to paint, but if you want to have a look at the design process of the terrain I'm making you're at the right adress.

Day 1
    I've started with the brickwork, this was probably the most time consuming process...
    More the less I wanted to simulate naturally looking stones, but this was a pain in the ass to do in the software I'm using. Instead I've decided to go with some more geometrically sound looking stones.
    Most of the seams are simple V-grooves, this will help making it easier to print the bricks without support structures, I might eventually make the edges round, but I'm quite liking how they look right now.

The Area where the door is supposed to go was quite easy to make, you simply do the same you would do if you were to make it by hand. Draw a vertical line and a second up to the point you want it to go, after that draw a diagonal and done. Only thing extra I did was add a bevel, or a chamfer as it is called in the software.

The Beams and woodwork don't really need a explanaition, there half round circles extruded to the right lenght and put in place, nothing really special about them.

sci-fi building v2 picture 7.png sci-fi building v2 picture 8.png

Last things for the evening
    Added a door and that's really it, not sure if I'm keeping it however.
    Maybe coloring in the model wasn't the best thing to do...

sci-fi building v3 picture 9.png sci-fi building v3 picture 10.png

Last last thing before making myself ready for the holidays
    Decided to remove the ship door since it clashed with the rest, instead went for a Japanese style door, I like it, but the next one ain't going to be modelled as if it was made to open by sinking down the floor.

sci-fi building v5 picture 12.png

#1 Arloid, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    jherazob, Section9 and SupersexyJohn like this.
  2. Arloid

Arloid Well-Known Member

Back from Holidays
    I just noticed that the pictures from before going on Holidays are broken...
    I thought this forum allowed you to upload directly to the forum, but I guess not.

[​IMG]
    Looking back at it I'm not entirely happy with it.

Bit of work on road tiles
    I've started work on some 6x6inch roadtiles, or rather started translating previous designs for 4.8inch tiles to 6 inches which where too small.

[​IMG]
    I'm not yet sure what I will do with the sidewalk tiles, but definitly not hexes again, I have to figure out something that's sci-fi enough

3. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

It does let you upload. But it periodically goes dumb and only shows the thumbnails to logged out visitors, and nothing to users.

4. Arloid

Arloid Well-Known Member

Good to know,

Meanwhile I've been fooling around in Fusion 360 a bit and unfortunatly walked into some software limitations, primairily when it comes to adding grooves to the corner sections where the road goes up. Don't think I can add those, but otherwise things are going slow but smoothly, though not really waranting a new render just yet.

5. Arloid

Arloid Well-Known Member

More Road tiles
    Things are really starting to get shape, I've been working on the tiles over the past week now and then.
    Only things really left are making each of the straigt sidewalks unique to break up the monotomy and maybe make a tile consisting of just pavement.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

timberfox, ZlaKhon, Berjiz and 5 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation