1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rules Question - Treat

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Ginrei, Apr 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

When a rule tells me specifically to "treat" an effect/skill/ammo as another effect/skill/ammo, what exactly happens from a rule/process point of view? It's been suggested there is more than one way to handle this.

From Total Immunity - "the owner is immune to the special effects of the Special Ammunitions, treating them as Normal Ammunition."

GAME EXAMPLE
    A trooper with Total Immunity is hit by DA special ammo.

Option A steps
    1. Activate any effects/skills/etc triggered by the DA special ammo hit.
    2. TI activates allowing the trooper to treat the hit as normal ammo so only makes one roll as per normal ammo, not two rolls as per DA special ammo.

Option B steps
    1. Activate any effects/skills/etc triggered by the DA special ammo hit.
    2. TI activates changing this hit to a normal ammo hit. The trooper is now hit by normal ammo instead
    3. Activate any effects/skills/etc triggered by the normal ammo hit.
    4. Taking into account any new activation, make rolls accordingly.

I see Option A as the only plausible conclusion based on the definition of the word

treat
    /trēt/
    verb
    1. behave toward or deal with in a certain way.
    Opinions?

2. MindwormGames

MindwormGames Well-Known Member

And what's the functional difference between these two scenarios?

The 'hit' is a successful attack, right? This attack does not 'care' what the ammo type is.

You've followed all the rules for a BS attack and resolved your FtF roll with the target. You won the roll.

Now you check the ammo type to see what happens. Total Immunity says that the ammo type is Normal, regardless of what the attacker's weapon says.

In my understanding this happens before you apply any effects of the attacker's ammo type, because Total Immunity says to act as though the ammo type was Normal.

I'm sure there are some examples of this, but what are some examples in which the distinction you are making even matters?

Abrilete, chromedog and Ginrei like this.
  3. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

@MindwormGames Thanks for the response, I'd love to discuss that with you but I can't do that anymore.

I want this thread locked @psychoticstorm. I made a mistake asking this community for anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation