1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impact templates vs. different mods

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Captain Spud, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Captain Spud

Captain Spud Maker of Things

I'm almost positive I've asked this before, but I can't find the old thread now.

An attacker with a shotgun wants to attack two targets. The first target is within 8" and has no defensive abilities. The second target is just outside of 8", is in cover, and has camouflage.

Attacker
    |
    |
    Target 1
    =======
    Target 2

If shooting each target directly, the mods would be +6 against Target 1, and -6 against Target 2. Does putting both of the shots into Target 1 and letting the impact template splash onto Target 2 deny all of that model's mods and let the Attacker hit Target 2 on +6 mods as well?

2. SpectralOwl

The template will hit as long as the shot itself does. That function doesn't even go to a face-to-face, if the shot would be successful the template goes down- even if the trooper firing the shotgun is critted by the target. Dodge is the only option for troops hit by a template. However, splitting burst between two targets requires a normal, modified FTF as normal, even if one would clipped by the template of the shot hitting the near target.

3. Musterkrux

Musterkrux Well-Known Member

chromedog, Wolf and SpectralOwl like this.
  4. Captain Spud

Captain Spud Maker of Things

Welp, played that one wrong. :/

5. Musterkrux

Musterkrux Well-Known Member

Incorrect. If Target 2 has the Attacker in their LOF, they are allowed to BS Attack as ARO against the Attacker and if they win/draw, the template doesn't affect them.

The wiki even has a sub-heading: Teardrop Impact Template example. All targets react by Shooting.

Now, if the template covers a model that otherwise did not have an ARO, then yes, they're only allowed to Dodge against it.

6. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

If your template can hit multiple targets, always shoot the one that which gives you the best modifiers.

In your situation you would roll 2 dice with the MODs from the closest target (so +6).

The 2 affected trooper could react against yours in FtF, (either shooting you or dodging for example, whichever is available) both comparing their dice with the ones you rolled. Each face to face being resolved separately and compared against your same dice.

(Even if the target in the front beats you in Face to Face, if your dice were still under your target number, you will still be affecting the trooper behind)

This effectively lets you shoot hard-to-hit models with greater odds if there is a valid target.

meikyoushisui and Xeurian like this.
  7. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

Im not entirely clear avout these interactions; please correct me if Im wrong, but @SpectralOwl
    Isnt this only true if the affected untis had no Line of Fire? I think that if they were faced away, or outside Hacking Area then their only option would be a Dodge at the PHY -3 granted bybthe template rules. If they had LoF, they could ARO however they liked.

SpectralOwl likes this.
  8. Wolf

I met.an Infinity 2nd Edition player whilst on holiday at Christmas, and we arranged an easy going game to help him get up to speed with the new rules, then got stuck on how to play Impact Template.

Id used these wespons in almost every game over the last couole of years and somehow thought he was trying to apply a 2nd Ed rule, so whilst I wasn't argumentative, I was very firmly entrenched in the style I’d been using...

We got the rulebook out (always easiest when trying to comprehend something, as opposed to check something) and his patience and repeatedly reading the book together disavowed me of my delusions.

ts a hard thing to be wrong and have to change our mind, and This Stuff is Hard :smile:

9. SpectralOwl

Great to know, I've been playing it wrong for a long time. Probably due to mixing up Fireteam nonsense with normal play.

Musterkrux likes this.
  10. Wolf

So is this new element of the latest FAQ (11th April 2019) the information we were looking for, and does it (particularly the last line 'counting as a success that can be beaten by higher rolls') answer all our questions?

11. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Wolf likes this.
  12. Wolf

@solkan could be; I'm on night shifts at the moment and very confused generally. :wink:

Duly reposted to that thread, thank you.

And since you're clearly more on to it than me, can you recommend appropriate medication and routes for an elderly and very frail patient with senile dementia and a fractured arm?

My first thought was that if I can get my Exdromoi Hacker on the scene, that Carbonite may be desirable, and that Basilisk may be the safer bet. My second thought was that this line of thinking just can't be right, can it? :grin:

#12 Wolf, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  13. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

I think we both get in trouble if we start asking whether cubevac applies to civvies. :mask:

Wolf likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation