1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pairing my new JSA army with an 'ideal' opposing force?

Discussion in 'Japanese Secessionist Army' started by Time Bandit, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Vulnerability (Total)

Greetings! I'm returning to the game after about 3 years away, having accidentally glanced at some of the new miniatures. My goodness, CB have been putting out some amazing work! My choice of new faction was between OSS (the new bots are beautiful) and JSA, and after lurking for a while on the forum, I settled on JSA as a dynamic, sneaky, aggressive faction that will force me to learn elements of the game that I previously neglected a little. The decision making process that takes place as you close range, and your options multiply, always scared me a little, so I'm looking forward to diving in and learning the ropes this time.

I'm lucky in that my city has a good few players already, but I'm keen to lure some of my best gaming friends with me on the journey. To that end, once I've painted up the JSA starter army + a few extra models, I'll turn to a second army, in order for friends to be able to play without immediately having to buy and paint metal.

To that end, I'd like your opinion on what force you think is the best opponent for JSA? In terms of army dynamics and composition, which one other force shows off the best of Infinity? Which would be best suited as a pick-up army for someone not too familiar with the game? Which faction has consistently produced the best balanced and most enjoyable games in your experience? Imagine you're where I am, please enlighten me.

Thanks in advance, it's good to be back.

barakiel likes this.
  2. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

Just some thoughts, so maybe a few others will join the discussion to correct my mistakes:

What is JSA good at:
    - Melee
    - Aggressive Lieutenant
    - Hidden Deployment
    - MSV2 & Smoke

What is JSA bad at:
    - Long Range Shooting
    - Hacking/Infowar
    - AD

But I don't know if hacking is something for someone not too familiar with the game...
    And I don't know all factions very well.
    - PanO is good at shooting but lacks smoke
    - Nomads, ALEPH, CA and Haq are good at Infowar
    - everybody has at least a little HD
    - everyone but JSA seems to have AD-troops

Golem2God likes this.
  3. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

I would go give Varuna a try as an well rounded faction with link teams. Only Thing they are really lacking is Smoke and CC.
    Or you'll go with the fluff and take the JSA opponent Imperial Service.

Section9 and barakiel like this.
  4. Ariwch

Ariwch Tournament benthotic lurker

Vanilla Haqq with full AVA of Ghazis *trollface*

5. Fire@Will

Fire@Will Well-Known Member

Why not go with Qapu Kalqui, so you can merge the two into Ikari later..,

Golem2God and Section9 like this.
  6. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Imperial SS would be the obvious opponent, but I'd recommend a new player avoid Fireteams until they get the core rules down.

Golem2God likes this.
  7. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

Don't know if I would recommend a sectorial which could went the way of the Merovinger this year (Explanation: goes out of production)

8. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

If you wanna go vanilla, I'd recommend nomads.
    Take a look at the NA2 merc factions as well,
    so maybe with a few troops you can play 2-4 factions.
    Nomads + Mercs might be a 'flexible' start.

Golem2God likes this.
  9. oldGregg

oldGregg Well-Known Member

I think vanilla Haqqislam is one of the best starter factions (besides nomads). There is a large amount of crossover from vanilla haqq, allowing you to grow into the following:

HB
    QK (for now)
    RTF (near future)
    DBS
    Ikari
    Starco (a bit more of a reach)
    Nomads (overlap with QK and NA2 sectorials)

On top of diversity mentioned above, haqq introduces a play style that, while requiring a different approach than some factions, is very rewarding. Learning this play style in vanilla allows you to also apply it in our sectorials and lends a competitive edge to growing players. @Jonno recently wrote a very nice post, touching on this subject.

Once you’re into NA2, you also get some first hand experience with stronger attack pieces from PanO and Yu Jing

#9 oldGregg, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Golem2God likes this.
  10. oldGregg

oldGregg Well-Known Member

I think vanilla Haqqislam is one of the best starter factions (besides nomads). There is a large amount of crossover from vanilla haqq, allowing you to grow into the following:

HB
    QK (for now)
    RTF (near future)
    DBS
    Ikari
    Starco (a bit more of a reach)
    Nomads (overlap with QK and NA2 sectorials)

On top of diversity mentioned above, haqq introduces a play style that, while requiring a different approach than some factions, is very rewarding. Learning this play style in vanilla allows you to also apply in in our sectorials and lends a competitive edge to growing players. @Jonno recently wrote a very nice post, touching on this subject.

Once you’re into NA2, you also get some first hand experience with stronger attack pieces from PanO and Yu Jing.

Golem2God likes this.
  11. Desolad0r

Desolad0r Member

I would do Imperial Service for themed plays

Golem2God likes this.
  12. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Vulnerability (Total)

Thanks so much guys, this game has such a great community. Nomads and mercs sound like a great mix. I'm pretty interested in anarchist theory and it made me chuckle to see they'd named a ship after Bakunin...

What would a good 100pts nomad/merc start look like?

13. clever handle

clever handle Well-Known Member

the nomad starter force is ~150pts. For beginners it gives line troopers, a HI, a camo infiltrator, a sniper and the ODD doctor. I think that makes it a decent intro force

14. yoink101

yoink101 Chandra SpecOps Complaint Department

A few people have mentioned not to start with a sectorial. I disagree. Vanilla can leave a new player paralyzed with overwhelming amounts of choice.

I’d recommend ISS as a great counter to JSA. Start, as always with new payers, with the starter matches in the dual army boxes, but sub in ISS/HSA models, or just proxy things.

Káosz Brigodéros and Golem2God like this.
  15. Maksimas

Maksimas Heavy Infantry Addict Maxim

The ODD Doctor is only there if you got this through the Icestorm box. The regular starter doesn't have the Reverend Healer.
    Just felt like mentioning that on the quick.

Abrilete likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation