1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BatReps?

Discussion in 'Haqqislam' started by sololobo, Dec 21, 2018.

1. sololobo

sololobo Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I got a odd request here, but after raiding the Reports section I was left with an empty feeling. lol I was looking for some Haqq and/or Assassins reports that I could learn from, but I didn't find much... Maybe I overlooked them?

What I did find was primary QK and GMG video reports. I am not interested in QK and GMG produce quality reports, but they are their to throw dice and laugh. I'm looking for something more competitive such as reports form Haqq/Assassin players at top tournaments.

I've known of VaulSC, who did a bang up job on the Haqq Faction Review, but he doesn't play them so any Haqq BatRep that is posted by him is simply more Haqq dying and loosing - nothing new.

Being starved here, I've started listening to podcasts. White Noise is awesome, because they pick the brains of some of the top players around the world. I found all the Haqq podcasts and was quite pleased. Even the non-haqq podcasts are very informative. But, these are not BatReps.

So, does anyone know of a good place I can read or watch or listen to Haqq and/or Assassins BatReps where they don't just die and loose every time. lol

Luisjoey likes this.
  2. sololobo

Ah, I though I was in the Haqq Forum. -.- I must of had a second tab open.

Mods, can someone move me to the Haqq section.

Thank you. :)

3. oldGregg

oldGregg Well-Known Member

If you're fine with reading, I plan on writing up at least 3 reports this weekend (pictures included, but not a lot of painted models).

If you're looking for anything in particular from a Haqq battle report, I can try to include that. I am in the same boat as you, in that I have really been wanting more Haqqislam batreps and tactica talks.

For some more context, I threw my lists up over in the Haqq sub-forum. I'd love to hear your thoughts and try to cater to our community as much as possible.

sololobo likes this.
  4. sololobo

Responded on your thread :)

5. ambisinister

ambisinister Broken Zoetrope

I don’t know helpful it will be, but I have a post from awhile ago where I go over all my thoughts and processes while learning Bahram in an escalation league. There’s not a lot of play by play bat rep action but I do go over how I intended to use each profile and how they performed in each round. There’s also a lot of great feedback from the wonderful Haqq community inbtween reports talking about profiles and tactics that I found helpful while learning the faction. I’ll link it here just in case you can find some value from it.

http://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/hassassin-escalation.22766/

6. Wombat85

Wombat85 Well-Known Member

Im going to devils advocate here and ask a tough question that comes up a lot for newer players:

Are you hoping to learn high level strategies and plays from the reports?

If the answer is yes, you can stop looking. Infinity is a game where player>everything so what ever worked for them is unlikely to work the same for you.
    If you are just looking because you like to read for the faction you play, we are not new or shiny in any way this year, expect more content when Ramah drops.

7. oldGregg

I’m sorry @Wombat85 but I will have to respectfully disagree. While watching another player in an attempt to mimic their behavior is no substitute for practice, it does increase one’s understanding.

To add further benefit, when then practicing those mimicked techniques and high level strategies, you broaden the scope of manuevers available to you while you play. Not every one may work, but understanding all your options has been the key to success for players of not just infinity, but all competitive games/sports.

In a game where player>everything, as you say infinity is, it’s crucial to know what every piece can do and how people often apply that piece to a tactical situation on the table. This is key to planning your turn and adapting when the dice don’t go your way.

Knowledge is power.

8. ambisinister

ambisinister Broken Zoetrope

I couldn’t agree with @oldGregg more. I’ve found that knowing why people make the decisions that they do, getting some insight into the process by which they engage their faction, has been invaluable in helping me grow as a player. You’re correct in the sense that net listing and being told what do only has so much value in infinity, but being told or shown why people make the tactical decisions they do or what strategic approaches they consider is golden.

9. sololobo

@ambisinister,

I...couldn't...stop...reading! lol And, you were kicking a lot of butt too! Finally, I get to read a BatReps on Assassins and we, Haqq in general, were winning for once - refreshing. I also like how you broke down the reports in that each model had its own contribution summary. There is a lot to be learned in those write ups. This brings it back home to me in that the list needs to be tailored for each mission and opponent while disrupting the opponent versus kill everything. Plus, contingency plans would be nice too. lol And, something that is new to me in the infinity game in that not every model needs to do something...like your Farzan. lol Bless his soul. I don't think it ever had a order used on it the entire six games you played. lol But, the sucker had a purpose none the less.

@Wombat85,

High level strategy? So, there are strategic, operation, and tactical levels. What you meant to say was "high level tactics," which would be indicative of the special forces or in this case Interplanetario attendee? I would answer you with a question - why not? But no, I do not need that high level of tactical breakdown to simply gain useful information off of someone else hard work. (its really fun work tho! :D) If you reference @ambisinister link there was a wealth of information to absorb there. But, the thing is, I don't think you really understood your own question and one would be obtuse to shun well written BatReps.

oldGregg likes this.
  10. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

The reason the warning about learning from batreps was given is that they rarely contain info on what was the reasoning behind choosing specific options, and what options game situation presented to the player in the first place. Even when you can see snapshots of the table, it's one thing to see it, focus on particular piece and go through different things it can do, and it's completely another when you've given an empty table and you must begin deployment while keeping in mind things those pieces will have to do 1-2 turns later.

So take them for what they are worth - an assortment of examples of different tricks you can pull off.

Errhile likes this.
  11. Wombat85

Wombat85 Well-Known Member

Except this is a game, and not real life so the use of strategy is correct within the context I intended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategy_game

I was merely addressing the the fact that often these threads are made by new people, coming from other games where simply copying a high level player is all one needs to become a high level player. You provided nothing to suggest otherwise in your post, and for you to incorrectly grammatically attack me seems to suggest you have no interest in actual discourse and just wanted to be spoon fed what you asked for. If thats the case then to quote an old Jedi:

"These aren't the forums you are looking for"

Errhile likes this.
  12. Jawasa

Jawasa Member

Tbh for me battle reports has been a great way of Learning how to play. Everything by barakiel here on the forums is great. Havent seen anything as good from any other players.

sololobo and oldGregg like this.
  13. Luisjoey

Luisjoey High Marshall of Wotan
    Warcor

14. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

Average youtube batrep is a cornucopia of not playing by correct rules though, so keep that in mind.

HardDisk and emperorsaistone like this.
  15. sololobo

@Barrogh

Oh totally. If a BatRep includes the mission link and opponent's faciton prior to the engagement and then explains his/her unit choices and how it all works to meet the objectives while keeping the opponent in mind would be great. But, that might be asking a lot from some. A lot of the the time, its like you said, they drop and plop their models and explain what went down. And, there is value in those write ups and at the very least enjoyment. However, this is one of the few times I can honestly say I think everyone go wrapped around the axle on my request for BatRep resources.

@Wombat85

Yes, the term strategy is used in games like this; however, I think we can both safely agree those two terms are used thought a match. Strategy is used prior to the game and during deployment while the tactical part will be used during the game. As for your second point you are assuming I am new to infinity and I think that's whats causing the chaff here. lol Yes, I am new in that I have only played two matches. And, I have made posts like you described quite a LONG time ago. Time has passed. No, I am quite comfortable with how this game is approached and how it is supposed to be played out. Being new to the game (in some degrees i.e. not having 20 games under my belt) does not warrant "n00b smash." Please do not assume. :) Third point, I simply wanted a good resource to consume when it comes to Haqq BatReps. And, is it too much to ask for winning BatReps? No one like to see their faction loose every BatRep containing the words "Haqq vs..." in it. And, what ever else you got out of my resource request post is on you Mr. Devil's Advocate. lol

@Luisjoey

I have used YouTube to look up BatReps. Typically its new guys playing the game or GMG just throwing dice or factions I'm not interested in i.e. PanO. But, I'll look again to see if I can find some good Haqq/Assassins BatReps.

#15 sololobo, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    Luisjoey likes this.
  16. oldGregg

I'm working on getting something posted btw ... games before the holidays left me less time than expected.
    Brief synopsis: I crushed my Vanilla PanO opponent game one, trashed Vanilla Yu Jing game 2, and played a rematch vs PanO for game 3. Game 3 was a nail biter, but I stole a victory in the last half of turn 3.

Unfortunately, the lists I was up against were not very good, which is a shame, as I thought my buddies were bringing their A game.

Instead of a traditional battle report, I'm just going to chat about my unit choices and some critical decisions/errors.

Palomides likes this.
  17. sololobo

@oldGregg

That's bawler man! Looking forward to the breakdown! :D

18. oldGregg

Thanks man. Felt real good to slay some infidels after not playing for so long!

sololobo likes this.
  19. Luisjoey

Luisjoey High Marshall of Wotan
    Warcor

That´s true! but each batrep it´s an effort of someone to show up the game (except from the game producers that want to sell or youtubers that want likes XD ) i guess Hassassin it´s not on the top (even i think it´s a good sectorial) so if you dont find good hassasin batrep! you shall do some :D please share i would like to see it!

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation