1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody else Hype we left Yu jing?

Discussion in 'Japanese Secessionist Army' started by fatRat, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

Not really, in Spain we don't execute terrorists nor turn them into Kuang-Shi, we just put them inside common prisions, well protected from the rest of the inmates, so they can study a career (of course, this is supported with grants given by the Goverment).

Then we let them out a few years later, and they are free to do whatever they want, even supporting political parties in the same cities they killed civilians years back.

2. Death

Death Well-Known Member

It makes perfect sense for the Chineese to discriminate against the Japanese. They have never taken to being within Yu JIng well. Also, I still strongly doubt all Japanese have left Yu JIng. I think homeland Japan is now independent but those Japanese living on Yu Jing homeworlds will likely remain.

#42 Death, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Golem2God likes this.
  3. EpicDiceFail

EpicDiceFail Patron Saint of Horrible Dice

To answer your question...

Yes!

4. Skyhusky

Skyhusky Well-Known Member

Absolutely, if only for the fact that the Story of Infinity is moving forward!

5. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

To paraphrase an old joke:

"The story of HSN3 was standing on the edge of a pit. But the Uprising book takes a brave step forward"

6. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I think he is talking about Catalonia...

McNamara likes this.
  7. McNamara

McNamara Merc Rep

Yes, I did.
    From what I get the Japanese Uprising is not the only one, it's the overall theme of the book, as the title sujusts. It just seems logical that a writer facing a very similar questions everyday might be using the writing to explore perspectives about that topic in his work, when it's title refers to it.

And of course it's not a unique Spanish subject. Brexit is another prime example. The JSA/Just Ying version of the topic is of course a very brutal and
    exaggerated version of it, but I suspect the book will also have more diplomatic representations as well, after all Infinity's story is a tale told from multiple perspectives.

stevenart74 likes this.
  8. stevenart74

stevenart74 Well-Known Member

Well, uprising could be indeed a multi-faceted reference to actual R.W. events. . .

Effectively, being Corvus Belli geographically situated in a place in Spain where the "Visca Catalunya" independent sovereign party had many adherents and the quite messy results of the one-sided "Independence Poll" that could be a sore spot, notwithstanding Who, between C.B.'s Staff was Pro-Independence "Rebels", who was Centralized Government "Loyalists" and so on. . .

My Brother (Italian Military Police that made some Cross-European Interexchanges) know some of the Local Catalunyan Police Forces ("Morros De Esquadra" roughly translated "Squadron Boys") that claimed WHATEVER would have been the result of this "Independant Movement" they lamented they would have been screwed anyway, so probably there are there some very serious Social / Cultural / Economical issues there. . .

Not only "Anti-European Independists" are a growing concern in Europe (as the resurgence of Pseudo-Nazist / Pseudo-Fascist Parties everywhere) but also there are a lot of problems around. . .

@McNamara wisely pointed the English so-called "Brexit" (I personally know some British Citizens that claims it was really "A Great Victory Of the Countryside Middle Class" and people working around London that are instead almost desperate by the results) was probably a catalyst of the various issues that did NOT work when Enforced European Community become a sort of distortion of what C.E.E. stood for. . .

I don't want too much to infringe in useless discussions about R.W. Politics and Socio-Economics (that could also risk to be Moderator-Banned on top of being a sensitive issue for many involved) but also here, in Italy, where there a couple weeks ago the Political Ballots with a resounding triumph of Right-Wing "Sovereign Nationalist" Parties and a battering defeat of Left-Wing "Pro-Euros" ones. . .

Understandably now, the two premier leaders of the European Nations that gains more from a stable Europe and have the most to lose with anyone slipping from their "Economic Sphere Of Influence" are now quite worried, even if Italy's International Importance is quite far lower than Great Britain's one. . .

. . . . .

Maybe Monsieur Hollande, "Chef D'Etat" of the French Republic, and Frau Merkel, newly re-christened Chancellor of the United German Republic, SHOULD have been a little less bullying in the past in their enforced view of a "Ideal Working Europe", as now they (along with the useless "Overseers Pseudo-Government" of Bruxelles) managed to piss-off Britain, Greece, Italy, Poland and a smattering of other "Second-Class European Countries" of which one VERY important part is Spain whose citizens could be quite (and righly) fed-up with "External Interferences" and this could be as well reflected on Literary Backgrounds written by Spanish authors. . .!!

9. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Please don't remind me about Brexit, I don't want the forums to see my intense pain over all of that...

It's probably fair to say that Gutier has had this storyline planned for years, perhaps as far back as the RPG days when he was first making the setting, and it's probably less a comment on recent events, and more that breakaways of small nations from larger ones based on sentiments of ethnic repression (justified or otherwise) and suchlike are A Thing which we have seen time and time again in history. So I don't think we can necessarily pick through the details to try and determine whether CB is covertly pro or anti and independent... well, anything really. After all, even though it's not a big company, you're still talking about dozens of people, I think that saying that CB has any particular viewpoint on most things would be a bit unfair.

The only political statement which I think I've ever seen them make was the recent one with the women's strike in Spain, where CB supported their female staff and arranged for pay even though they weren't in (to their definite credit, IMO) and that's not even really much of a controversial statement really, nor should it be.

10. McNamara

McNamara Merc Rep

Yeah, I guess the topic is deeply connected with all of human history and therefore naturally a part of a science fiction work imagining the future.
    Nevertheless picking it as the focus of the new book and writers needing to be inspired by something, it seems like a logical conclusion. Though thinking about it even more, I guess in the end the only way to evolve a story about nations is by changing the boarders, alliences or what constitutes them in the first place. And since the main characters of Infinity are the different nations there is not much else to write about.

And to answer the threads questions, I guess thinking about it that way made me hyped about the split and I am curious to see what else there will be going on.

11. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

So, there can be paralelisms, but not as dire, nor the result was the same. The situation also was... a little different, in its roots and in its current situation (the position is empty atm...).

First, the independentist movement in Catalonia was fueled as a distraction, facing both the "independentists" (located mainly in rural areas, as far as it has been reported) and generating as much alienation as possible. This was not made with the good of the people in mind, but with the ultimate intention of distracting the populace and hide the steal of public money, made by politicos in all the country (and I mean the WHOLE country).
    Fast forward several years and you can find revisions of history in school books, persecution of any kind of use of the spanish language (and whatever was deemed as spanish culture), pressure by the politicos to all commerce to agree to all kind of strange things that boiled down, in essence, to a "Catalonia = good an oppressed, the rest of Spain = bad and an oppressor". Simplistic, but I'm trying to compress things here.

So, the last quarter of 2017 was kinda... interesting. One of the main corruption investigations cited the Spanish President to declare (and, according to what he said, and the recordings of his speeches 10-15 years before, he lied -intentionally or not- under oath), while a member of the royal house (the Duke of Palma, married to one of the sisters of the current King of Spain) was found, with his wife, up to the neck in a lot of a mess (corruption again).
    With that, suddenly the spanish media focused on Catalonia, wich was intent on declaring its independence by the use of a referendum, something that they could not call for, because of law/constitution (we have quite the relationship with both, in Spain, one that could be boiled down to "they do whatever they want, because there are enough entries on both it is impossible to not find an obscure way to").
    Fastforward again, and the forbidden referedum took place, with simple questions, and no control at all (several people were able to vote up to five times on different places... there are videos of a voting urn dropping to the floor and being filled with votes before opening the voting points, and now there are even police recordings of the instigators deciding the referendum's results weeks before...).
    Then, Tabarnia, a "joke" movement compressed by lots of people who don't want to be independent (and live in the big cities, where the money is made... so an independent Catalonia without them would have the same production power than any of us might have in their backyard, so to speak), several critical business left Catalonia for other places (specially banks), etc...

Anyway, since the catalonian politicos kept delcaring the independence, the central gobernment activated an article of the Constitution, nÂș 155, that in essence dissolves the region's gobernment and everything gets controlled from the Central Gobernment in Madrid. The CAtalonian President fled the country to Bruxelles, and has been living there since, yet he insists in being the next president of Catalonia (he cannot, since he has to be physically present to get invested... and the moment he touches Spanish soil, he'd be detained and sent to prison. The extradition from Bruxelles was cancelled because there was a risk Spain could not accuse him for 100% of the laws he broke, thus making a weird "those who stayed and were convicted had harsher sentences than those who fled").

So, in a way there could have been some inspiration, but certainly I'd say the JSA Uprising was more coherent than the Catalonian "independence" movement... Aside, that is, from how the internal security forces (of which all countries have, btw, the Imperial Secret Service is... that, and something else, and more, since they are the direct servants of YJ's Emperor) not being able to do a thing in Infinity.

As far as I was abel to dig around, the JSAxit was planned since last year, which was kinda a bad move regarding the Shikami because they surely knew about it, since a book like NA2 with the boasted 100 pages of background is not something that gets written in 3 months (nor gets "ghost-written" unless Modiphius is laughing at their KS Backer's face).

Abrilete likes this.
  12. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

So did I :p

13. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

I love that name, consider it stolen.

McNamara, Barrogh, Aldo and 1 other person like this.
  14. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

Wow.

I came to this thread to express my interest in seeing where a JSA separated from Yu Jing might go, (and what new and cool sculpts we might get!) but instead I got a detailed analysis of the political scene in Spain. Gotta love the internet! Now I am off to the net to learn more about Catalonia! Who knows where I might end up!

Keyrott and Abrilete like this.
  15. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

That's... the capital's perspective. Not surprising aside from the shock of finding out that people actually believe that bullshit about the situation here. Spain really is a hopeless country.

Probably in the Spanish government's blacklist.

#55 Aldo, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  16. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Not really the capital, but most of the points of view outside of Catalonia itself... As for the logical explanations of why the independence is needed at all... nobody I know has been able to find one. The way the leaders of the Catalonian "Generalitat" acted and spoke to the rest of Spain was not precisely helpful (while the central government preferred to turn all this into a legal situation, not wanting to solve a political problem with politics).

A reason why the movement, at the moment it went critical, could not succeed: Europe has more pro-Independence movements in several of its member countries, so even if Catalonia would manage to secede from the rest of Spain, it would find itself very alone, out of the EU, surrounded by customs-tax and both Russian and American eyes over there, not to mention that "the country of an independent Catalonia" was not a member state, and it would need to be authorized to be a part of... which I think requires an unanimous vote from all members... Yet the leaders of the independent movement kept promising that they would remain inside Europe despite not being part of Spain.

Abrilete likes this.
  17. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

You made some pretty heavy accusations regarding censorship, historical revisionism and other horrible practices. Let me quote you again.

I usually ignore you whenever you are saying incorrect things, but you being wrong about the rules is more or less inocuous, this is insulting and damaging, terrible ignorance at best and horrible bad will at worst.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  18. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

http://estaticos.elmundo.es/documentos/2017/05/17/adoctrinamiento_libros_texto_catalunya.pdf
    And
    https://www.boe.es/publicaciones/an..._de_la_Nueva_Planta._Ensayo_historiogr%E1fico

I do not accuse, I report. And you are welcome to provide your side of the argument, for those interested on hearing it. Nut I suggest we move this to its own thread, in the off-topic, lest this one gets locked.

Abrilete likes this.
  19. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

@stevenart74

To answer that question, no I would not ban you for discussing serious real world issues, I would question the validity of been discussed in this thread.

Moving onward can we stop the argument about Catalonia please? last time I checked this thread was about hype left for the future of Yu Jing, I understand the context this was brought in, but it devolves rapidly.

20. Skyhusky

Skyhusky Well-Known Member

*Scuttles in* So, I'm really ready to pick up my Uprising! Book already, Very curious about where this, and the future campaign takes us.

Alphz likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation