1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AI Beacon Vs Tactical Window

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by xagroth, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Those are three different (but linked) troopers on the table that during list building and for combat group purposes count as one.

So, I'm saying "may only field up to 15 Troopers and their equipment" would be a very interesting extra.

2. atomicfryingpan

atomicfryingpan Well-Known Member

I think people are being dense on purpose.

3. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

EDIT: too tired to quote the right post... damn :S

On the top of my head (I'm sure there are much more viable lists around)

15 troops, 21 orders (TAGs get a TacWare order, and this one I just piled morlocks, saw would get short, and placed the TAG).
    Nomads
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]9 [​IMG]1 [​IMG]1
    KRAKOT RENEGADE 2 Chain Rifles, Grenades / Pistol, DA CC Weapon. (0 | 14)
    MONSTRUCKER Submachine Gun, Chain Rifle, Drop Bears / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 13)
    DAKTARI Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)
    PUPPET MASTERS (Minelayer) Submachine Gun, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 14)
    PUPPETBOT Red Fury / Electric Pulse. (1.5 | 16)
    PUPPETBOT (Forward Observer) Boarding Shotgun / Electric Pulse. (0 | 11)
    PUPPETBOT (Marksmanship L1) AP Marksman Rifle / Electric Pulse. (0 | 14)
    SECURITATE Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 13)
    SECURITATE Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 13)
    HECKLER Boarding Shotgun, E/Marat / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 19)
    SZALAMANDRA Hyper-rapid Magnetic Cannon, Heavy Flamethrower / . (2 | 90)
    [​IMG] SZALAMANDRA PILOT Contender / Pistol, Knife. ()
    HECKLER Red Fury / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 24)
    SALYUT (Minesweeper, Repeater) Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    ZONDBOT Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]5 [​IMG]4
    LIBERTO (Minelayer) Light Shotgun, Chain-colt, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 10)
    MORLOCK Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, E/M CCW. (0 | 6)

6 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

This one has 15+2+2, of which the Marut can use 12... up to 13 in two scenarios in which she gets to be the datracker and get an order for that.

ALEPH
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]10
    NETROD . (0 | 4)
    NETROD . (0 | 4)
    NETROD . (0 | 4)
    APSARA (Killer Hacking Device) Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 19)
    SOPHOTECT Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 31)
    MARUT Lieutenant (Strategos L3) MULTI HMG, Heavy Flamethrower, Nanopulser / AP CCW. (3 | 120)
    [​IMG] KARKATA Flash Pulse / Knife. (0 | 0)
    PROBOT (Minesweeper, Repeater) Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    PROBOT (Minesweeper, Repeater) Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    LAMEDH Rebot Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    LAMEDH Rebot Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]3 [​IMG]2 [​IMG]2
    DART Submachine Gun, Viral Tactical Bow, E/M Grenades / Pistol, Shock CC Weapon, Knife. (0 | 34)
    LIBERTO (Minelayer) Light Shotgun, Chain-colt, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 10)
    MONSTRUCKER Submachine Gun, Chain Rifle, Drop Bears / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 13)

4 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army

#63 xagroth, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  4. Brother Smoke

Brother Smoke Bureau Trimurti Representative

I really feel like the intent is clear and people are just being deliberately obtuse

wildchevy, Robock and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  5. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

I might be dense today (or as always depending on one's opinion bout me), but with this new ITS extra is it possible (for Aleph) to take 14 bodies+3 Proxies or not ?o0

theradrussian likes this.
  6. Mahtamori

As was answered on the warcor forum you're allowed to take 14 order-generating bodies + 3 Proxies. As is actually written in the rules, no you're not because that's 17 Troops (unless some of the bodies are AI Beacons.)

Hecaton likes this.
  7. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

I think you over counted for the Marut. 10 regular orders + 1 LT order + 1 TacAw order + 1 possible DT order = 12(13)

xagroth likes this.
  8. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

That's what I thought when people said you couldn't shoot Guided ammo at mines after Targeting them. But apparently nit-picking wordings are super important in this game.

Robock likes this.
  9. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Perish the thought!

Brother Smoke and oldGregg like this.
  10. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Only for purposes of Combat groups. In-game, each one is separate!

Well, neither the game rules nor society rules/laws allow us to just shoot the damn rules-lawyers, so you need to have something solidly written to prevent them from breaking your game. It's a tournament, you don't really have the option of not playing them.

xagroth and Brother Smoke like this.
  11. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

At first I thought it would have been better as one and a half combat group.

It is not more than half the list of a nearby meta. their list are 18+ troopers spam unless the TO force a LI tournament. Now it can be a reasonable size armies without being strictly LI. For me though, i usually play around 12-15 in my meta.

One and a half group RAW doesn't work though, as a 7/8 split works better but RAW is over the "half a group" restriction (while the first is only a restriction, you are always free to field less than the 10 allowed). So 15 slots is better worded. Except slot is not defined. So they goes for troopers.

12. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

So in case of tactical window Aleph can take something like 19 models (14 standard +3 proxies +2 AI Beacons) and have something like 17 (18 with Strategos 1) regular orders ?

13. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

Anything that fills a "single slot" in a combat group would fill a "single slot" in the 15 "slots" allotted by TW. AI Beacons are awkward because the wording used there is inconsistent ("combat group member"), but I'd bet doughnuts to dollars they will count once it's clarified.

Robock likes this.
  14. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

But I can't make a Coordinated Order with 2 or 3 proxies on it!!!

By using "slots in the Army", Aleph can fill the Proxies as 1 body (so 11 troops, 3 Netrods, 3 proxies)
    By going for Troops, Aleph can fill Netrods for free, and RAW proxies would count as 1 trooper (so 3 proxies +3 Netrods +14 troops)
    By falling into HellLois' rule about Datatracker Proxies (which is a ruling for balance, not for rules consistency, since the "troop" is the Posthuman in the end), at this moment it could be argued for 3 proxies +12 other troops... but the Netrods would enter for free, so 3+12+3...

Is it a mess? Yep. Is it broken? Well, unless the Aleph player sets his focus on order spam, it should not be. Nevertheless, the rules need to be clear, and a definite definition of what constitutes a Troop is becoming more and more critical.

On the CA, this is less chaotic, but remember they have 2 Imetrons (AI beacon), so could in theory deploy a 17 orders vanilla force (well, 18 because of probable strategos... and if a TAG is there, 19... 20 with Datatracker... XD)

15. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

It's broken no matter how you look at it under the interpretation given here. It's a restriction that RAW has less effect the on most consistently overperforming sectorial than any almost other sectorial in the game (except the ones that weren't hitting this body count to begin with).

Hecaton likes this.
  16. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I was talking about the "overextend" the orders. Anyway, limiting to 15 slots won't solve much, since most "spammy" lists I see around top at 17 models (slots in the Army, at least) for 300pts... but carry a lot of impetuous orders. The problem comes from limiting troops but not orders, and then giving extra orders, skewing things in a way that difficults to balance it all.

As for the "troop limit", I think it still frags USAriadna, MRRF, etc..., and no, I don't see this Extra as a solution, the truth is I prefer to play with 10-14 slots in the army, but that is a little hard for factions without Counterintelligence.

17. Mahtamori

No. In neither interpretation would this work.

18. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

How so?

14 standard troopers, the 3 proxies count as one trooper, and the 3 AI beacons don't count as Troopers at all. 15 Troopers in the Army list, but 18+ regular orders.

19. Mahtamori

Not so.

Proxies are two to three Troopers, except in combat groups where they count as one trooper and in terms of order generation where the Ghost: Jumper trooper is held distinct from the Proxy troopers (this is probably due to legacy reasons, though it does open up for interpretation that a Jumper with 3 Proxies are 4 Troopers) and deployment. For all other purposes - number of troopers in army list, number of troopers on the field, propagation of states, etc, they are several Troopers.
    List "slots" is simply put not one of the exceptions for a Jumper. "One trooper during list building" is user shorthand that's not entirely correct.

20. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Problem is that "proxies" are not "the troop", so to speak. The POSTHUMAN that takes control of the Lhosts is. I had to check about this during a campaign, because RAW that means +1 AVA to the posthuman could allow you to deploy additional proxy bodies (the TO managed to get an answer from HellLois, in which he stated that the AVA would apply to 1 per body, not to the Posthuman at all, which is consistent with the Datatracker ruling, but not with the LT rules for Posthumans).

Anyway, it was one option, and I think it's very likely the ruling, if we ever get one, will be that we should use Army slots (so in fact Aleph could deploy 14 troopers, and 2-3 proxy bodies).

Then again, who knows.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation