1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to prepare for a tournament with different kind of scenarios

Discussion in 'General' started by Ealthril, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Ealthril

Ealthril Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Hey all,

I really want to thank Into the Hexadome and Heart of Hyperpower for the lovely and deeply interesting articles they shared here and on their blogs...

I'm actually preparing for a tournament in ma local gaming club.
    The scenarios will be :
    - Carnage
    - Capture the flag
    - Conquest

So we do have here 3 different kind of scenarios : some of them need control and/or speed, other abilities to frag quickly...

My original thoughts of a good multitool 8 to deal with this variety are :
    - for carnage : do I want to give low points to the opponent? take players with 2 hp... and try to score in the zone. Do I want to prevent the opponent killing me? Take players with max hp... and healers to support them. I found it quite risky as with good rolls, the opponent can bring havoc with a mushashi or wild bill so easily killing 2 players in one activation, before I can heal... So, average could be take only players with 4 hp... a mix between bursters and supports

- for capture the flag : I need a really fast player (Gata and Bixié) who could endure a whole round of fire carrying the flag... or who could cross the field from the opponent's camp to mine. Any placement tool could help them doing so (Gaia, Hexxer, 8 Ball). What could be another strategy? Preventing the opponent to score with the flag imply to have fast fraggers and/or from a good distance (Mushashi and Bill seem to be must haves)

- for conquest : need some speed, endurance, control, frag... a mix as many of us have different playstyles.

I have the full game/extensions at home (and preordered Reckless hearts but don't know if I'll receive them on time for the tournament... so I prefer not to include them).

My actual 8 with all of those elements taken into consideration is :
    - Parvati : the multitool per definition
    - 8Ball : because of control, good agility, and placement shenanigans
    - Mushashi : always need him to score frags
    - Wild Bill : hope to get the new tournament exclusive miniature one day lol... need him to frag at a distance and for deck management
    - Shona Carano : why? Because 2* on her attack... you don't know how bad are my dice !
    - Kozmo : because I need some off-tanks and smoke against shooters, he also has a good agility and 8 points of movement when needed
    - Bixié : I want to try her, and I think she is more valuable than Gata on Capture the flag
    - ??? who else as my last one?

Actually I'm open to any suggestion or idea, this is why I opened that thread.
    Tell me what's wrong or right with my team compo, what do you think should be better for those 3 scenarios combined, etc.

Hope to read you soon.

Thank you very much for your help !

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  2. Croepoek

Croepoek Well-Known Member

I prefer 4HP Aristos with damage output and decent defense for Carnage (WB, MM, Kozmo, Massacre); Gata is almost unbeatable in CtF, careful with 8 Ball in Carnage as he gives 3 VP.

Last one Fiddler! Crazy Damage, especially if combined with Hannibal.

Ealthril likes this.
  3. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

I've always thought that Max, Mendoza and one Melee and one Ranged Striker was a great team for Carnage. I did a TERRIBLE job of keeping them together in my last event, but the concept is rock solid. You might also want to think about functionality off the bench, because Aristos ARE going down, making those who will wait less before making an impact again better.

Gaia and Gata together make for a magical combination in Capture the Flag, 'though any source of additional Action Points is very valuable. I'd almost argue for a team of Mushashi, Bixie, Gata and Gaia.

Conquest, you know what you are doing here. It's a good mix, more of a tactical challenge than a team building challenge.

Ealthril likes this.
  4. Ealthril

Warcor

Thank to both you for your answers.

I'm still thinking about it, as we will play in Zlavin + Koorie Queen I may prevent the opponent to prevent me from playing what I want.

Let's say there are different roles in this game (as written in your different blog articles) : tank, support, killer, scorer... what if I take only one in my 8 which the opponent either ban or take before me?

As a consequence, I'm now trying to get 2 characters of each roles to avoid that situation...

So, here is my actual 8 (still changing and testing) :

Scorers : Gata, Bixié
    Killers : Mushashi (which is a bit of scorer too), Shona
    Tank : Massacre (who is also a killer, I might choose him on Carnage scenario)
    Support : (mainly to remove states, poison fire etc.) Eclypse, Laxmee (and they are 2 good scorers also)

Now there is still a place for either a 2nd tank (8Ball? but I think I can play without any tank...) or third killer (Fiddler as was suggested?)

What are your thoughts? Do I mislead myself?

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  5. CAnon

CAnon Well-Known Member

Massacre isn't a tank, though it's a pretty common mistake as he can soak a lot as long as Epic Regeneration doesn't get No!ed (which isn't something you want to rely on). He's DPS, with some control.

A good tank would be Prysm, or the ever-reliable Kozmo. Both also only have 4 HP, which can be very relevant in Carnage.

I love Shona, but she only really shines in Ziggurat missions (and maybe KotH). Since she's already weak to Dazzle anyway, I'd swap her out for a Ranged killer, like Bill or Koorie.

Ealthril likes this.
  6. Kelthret

Kelthret Usuario

K, with those scenarios you need:
    -People that kill
    -People that run
    -People that stop the opponent from running
    And combinations of the above. I focused on Carnage and CtF because combining those 2 should get you a solid team for Conquest.

I would personally run something like: Mushashi (Kills AND runs), Gata (Runs faster than anyone), Axel (Also pretty good scorer), Valkyrie (Kills and stops opponent flag bearer), Dart (pretty cool in Carnage, kills and only gives 1 point if killed), Hexxer (Always useful, stops people from running), Laxmee (best anti-state in the game and dps appreciate the extra die) and Wild Bill (for extra killing potential with initiative 6).

You could also consider swapping something for Max and Mendoza. Max can contest the middle point forever in Conquest, is a reliable, albeit a bit slow flag runner, and paired with Mendoza and well played never dies in Carnage while allowing Mendoza to heal the rest of the team, negating the enemy points.

Ealthril likes this.
  7. Ealthril

Warcor

Hey thank you so much for that analysis Kelthret ! It's so valuable :pray:

I think I won't receive Axl on time, as my tournament is on Sept, 7th... So what could be a good replacement, Bixié? She runs really fast too, but doesn't do that much kill... or Fiddler maybe as suggested above? (and he can move to 9 cases if needed and help gata with its bots...)

So according to your description, what would you choose on each scenario?
    Carnage : Mushashi + Bill + Laxmee + Dart?
    CtF : Mushashi + Valky + Hexxer + Gata?
    Conquest : Mushashi + Hexxer + Dart + Fiddler? (because bots can prevent opponent to get in zones... ?)

To CAnon, Massacre is a kind of tank with the auto heal every turn, isn't he?

Thank you once again evrybody !

8. CAnon

CAnon Well-Known Member

Kind of, though realistically with only :*::): for defense he struggles against any kind of dedicated killer (who can probably burst him down in an activation with 1 or 2 tactics spent or Hannibal buff). Even people with weaker attacks, like tanks or supports, can pop him in a turn if several co-ordinate and focus him down.

And, even if he survives, going from 75% damaged to 50% isn't that huge (though it absolutely can win turns and even games if the dice are favourable enough) when you realise it is effectively equivalent to a one-use stun token on the next person to deal damage him.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good Aristo (particularly paired with Hannibal). It's just most of his value comes from his devastating attack (which he can use twice a turn in best case scenarios) and his ability to sacrifice himself (if necessary) to save whoever you need to win a given round.

Ealthril likes this.
  9. AdmiralJCJF

While I agree with the other comment noting that Massacre isn't a "Tank" directly, he does do the job pretty well along with his damage output. I'd certainly be looking at other flexible choices, probably a ranged Striker who can also act as a Scorer (like Dart or Koorie Queen) instead of Bixie (or Gata).

That's been my approach, I didn't want to fully double up on each role, especially because I see Ranged Strikers and Melee Strikers as playing substantially different roles (so I want options for both).

Ealthril likes this.
  10. Ealthril

Warcor

Hey all !

I played 2 games with this 8, mainly suggested by Kelthret I admit, to make some testing :
    Mushashi, Gata, Wild Bill, Laxmee, Dart, Valkyrie, Hexxer, Fiddler

Fist game was Capture the flag. My opponent played Mushashi, Valkyrie, Prysm, Hannibal. I faced him with Gata, Wild Bill, Laxmee, hexxer... I felt overwhelmed all game long. First round, Mushashi came into the zone to kill Hexxer and took the flag on 2nd round. I really had nothing to kill him as I misdeployed Wild Bill, who was stuck by Valkyrie. Although I focused him with laxmee to remove Immobilized state, he didn't managed to get out with his poor agility and the good brawl from Valkyrie. And thus until round 4...

Hexxer when she came back round 3 immobilized Mushashi and put -2 mov on him, which was great. Meanwhile I managed to get to the flag with Laxmee at round 3. Score was 2-1 for my opponent. Then he scored with mushashi, 5-2, killed me laxmee, 6-2, I took the flag with Hexxer, he killed her, 7-2 and as my last activation of round 5 I took again the flag while poping laxmee into the central zone, final score 7-3. I prevent him to get a major victory... but this was so difficult !

My questions :
    - how do you decide to deploy in that scenario? Wherever I looked, Gata could have been an easy target at 1st turn. If I deployed her at last, she would get stuck to an enemy. If I put her on 1st activation, and go to the flag, the opponent has 4 activations to get her down...
    - what's your global strategy here? Wait for the opponent to take the flag, and frag the carrier ? Or go for the flag, but how to make as safe as possible?

Second game was Carnage. My opponent picked Oberon, Wild Bill, Mendoza, Massacre. I had Fiddler, Laxmee, Dart, Valkyrie. First round, nothing happened until last activation as our different supports just hide, ready to go for next round, Dart didn't go to the zone, and massacre went to Dart. I was underdog (same amount of initiative, so we throwed a die at the beginning) and let him go first with Wild Bill, as I had Fiddler, who was focused. He went to the central zone. I moved and deployed my 2 bots, and activated them. Nothing happened, WB was still alive, but with 3 burning tokens on him. So he scored 1, and I stayed underdog.

2nd round, I chose the zone. I activated Fiddler first. Believe me or not, but with 2 activations of my turrets, which fired twice (switch everytime), I killed nobody... neither Massacre (1 HP left) nor Wild Bill... Then he killed Fiddler with Wild Bill, score 3-0. Double pistols to kill Valkyrie (with a lot of additional dice, thanks to Oberon), score 5-0. He killed Dart with Massacre, score 6-0. I scored one for being in the zone... 6-1.

3rd round, he had the choice to finish the game lol...

Once again, really overwhelmed during the party, I didn't know what exactly I had to go for... His Mendoza healed easily Massacre and Wild Bill, and the burning tokens on them don't kill them, he had good dice... I had too easy frags to give him, and no way to fight back when coming from the bench. Oberon and wild bill is a really good combo, as my opponent got his full deck into hand really quickly. That was impressive !

I think I have to rework the major part of my roster as it doesn't fit my playstyle and find some good combos...

Next game will be conquest for training. Wish me luck !

Thank you for your help buddies.

11. AdmiralJCJF

Remember that Oberon can't add dice to Face to Face rolls.

So he can't enhance attacks ('though maybe you just meant that he allowed a lot of tactics draw).

Smoke or Hidden (from Kozmo or Eclypse) both help to keep Gata safe (or Bixie if you go for her as well/instead) in Capture the Flag, but you absolutely want strong ranged options to take out runners as well.

12. Ealthril

Warcor

In rules, it is written "Attacks are a special type of Action, and are printed with a red title."

So I think Allies can use this ability on Attacks, can you confirm it ?

I really like Kozmo, but I need to work on his co-Aristos... for instance, he needs someone to mark targets if the opponent try to use smoke for himself... I never tried Eclyspe nor Bixié, should give them a trial go for sure :ok_hand:

#12 Ealthril, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  13. CAnon

CAnon Well-Known Member

Oberon's passive explicitly only works with Simple rolls (that is, rolls where only one player's rolling, the green coloured abilities) and therefore not with any kind of face-to-face roll like attacking.

Croepoek, AdmiralJCJF and Ealthril like this.
  14. Ealthril

Warcor

Oh thank you ! We missed it yesterday so... "simple roll", that's clear now, thanks again :clap:

AdmiralJCJF and CAnon like this.
  15. Ealthril

Warcor

Hey guys,

No one talked about Murtair for those 3 scenarios... Is he that bad?

However, he's fast, and can kill, and displace also. What do you dislike in him? His bad initiative? His bad defense? His zero agility?

16. CAnon

CAnon Well-Known Member

He's not bad, just kind of mediocre (which is enough to make him pretty widely accepted as the worst Aristo - which says a lot about how solid most characters are). He isn't super agile, he can struggle to move and successfully attack (which is real bad for a melee Aristo), and if he has decent initiative then he is very fragile.

He kind of tried to do too many things at once, and so doesn't excel at anything (even more so than Boss, as an example for how it can be done right).

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  17. AdmiralJCJF

He's better as a Scorer than as a Striker, but in that role he's too easy to lock down (he has to kill Aristos to move away from them).

So...

Yeah.

Ealthril likes this.
  18. Ealthril

Warcor

And so last Saturday was my first real tournament. :scream:

Below my battle report. :point_down:

With all your comments and what I like to play or already know, my final 8 was :

- Mushashi (so he can get banned) :sob:

- Wild Bill (idem)

- Kozmo (to counter shooters, good defense, can stay into zones or throw people lol) :sweat_smile:

- Gata :Q: :6::6::6:

- Parvati (I need a healer and state remover, also shooter usable when going back from the bench, and speed 5 is super cool) :4:

- Valkyrie (immobilised, dps and off tank) :G::-::-:

- Hexxer :5::U::G:

- Laxmee :.::.::.:

Round 1 Conquest

I was player B. My opponent banned Wild Bill :scream: , I banned Mushashi. :sweat_smile:

He picked Wild Bill, Valkyrie, Laxmee, Hexxer

I had Mushashi, Kozmo, Parvati, Gata

He quickly take his 2 zones and I manage to have same number of people in the central zone during round 1 but I didn’t take my 2 zones, so score was 0-2. :cold_sweat:

Then I tried to kill him to prevent him scoring into the central zone. Which Mushashi and Kozmo did very well indeed ! I took my 2 zones and the central zone doing so. Score was 3-2. :confused:

He came back with Hexxer, putting me out of every zone but not being in the central one (no one inside it). Score 3-4. :fearful:

I killed him once more with Mushashi and took the central zone, to get 3 points, score was 6-4. :slightly_smiling_face:

Last round of that game, I scored 3 as he got not mean to push me out of zones or kill me… Score 9-4, my first ever major victory ! :ok_hand::sunglasses:

Round 2 Capture the flag

I was player A. Both of us banned Mushashi :joy:

I picked Gata, Kozmo, Valkyrie, Parvati

He picked Eclypse, Wild Bill, Prysm, Massacre

A really close game ! He managed to take the flag second round with eclypse. 0-1 and keep it on her until the end of the game… ending with 4 victory points.

He made a big mistake at round 4 he could have scored with Eclypse in his camp, but he wanted to steal the game on last round :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Which I prevent while going with Kozmo base to base with Eclypse, and adding Gata carrying the flag also base to base with Eclypse (so she cannot escape that easy with a black dice added to my brawl throws) :):

Gata seized the flag on round 3, and scored on round 3 going as fast as she can, so 3 points. She managed to seize it round 5, to score 1 more point.

All along the game I tried to kill Eclypse, but dice were not with me, and she stayed at 1 health point. On his side, he managed to kill easily with Wild Bill, and did 4 frags against 2 on my side.

Final score 4-4 but 4 frags for him, and 2 for myself. :disappointed_relieved:

So I lost due to frags only…:cold_sweat:

Round 3 Carnage

Normally I would have to play against the same opponent I faced during round 2 because of victory points, but as we were just 4 for this tournament, we decided to make everybody meets everybody. :beers:

So I was player A. Both of us banned Mushashi. :joy:

I picked Wild Bill, Kozmo, Valkyrie, Laxmee

He picked Parvati, Mendoza, Massacre, Prysm

I positionned myself to become underdog after turn 1. He scored one being in the zone (he had massacre, prysm, mendoza, I only had Kozmo, valkyrie). Score 0-1.

I killed Prysm with wild bill, he killed kozmo with massacre. I scored into the zone I chose. Score 3-3.

He killed Valkyrie, I killed Mendoza. Score 5-5

He killed Kozmo once more, I failed to kill Massacre (thanks to his regeneration card) in one swing, but finally get him down. Score 7-7. No mean to get to the scoring zone, he put Parvati in it. I lost 7-8. :sleepy:

A really good tournament with tight games from which I learnt a lot regarding being the first to score or deciding letting the opponent score to become underdog…
    Final result I ended 3rd about 4 players, having lost against the last guy, but won against the tournament's winner :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

Let’s now prepare for the next tournament in AGL3, which is one with 20 players in Lyon France :3: :flag-fr:

Scenarios are :

• Capture the flag
      • Scorched earth
      • King of the hill
      • Blitz
    I think I will get the same 8 to continue my training and reinforce my knowledge of those 8. But I will decide after Freak Wars this coming week-end, to know if any change in AGL season 3 could influence my choice. I also want to play Axl, with or replacing Gata... (might be very good on those 4 scenarios)

Any recommandation, specific advice ? :innocent:

#18 Ealthril, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    csjarrat and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation