1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yu Jing A-Z, a Linguistic Guide to Yu Jing Units.

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by GuanYunChang, Nov 29, 2017.

1. GuanYunChang

GuanYunChang 二哥

I know about the Tanko, but since I've as yet been unable to pin down the kanji for it I didn't put an entry yet. I know that it is the word used to denote pre-Heian era foot soldier armor, but the proper writing for it has eluded me thus far.

You're right of course, and normally I would go into more detail on the subject but I took that particular definition directly from the CB entry for the unit (after much squinting at the BoW unpacking video.)
    In all honesty neither "yokai" nor "oni" are particularly appropriate for the english word "demon" though some traditional yokai might be fairly close to the Greek 'daemon.' (Or the Phillip Pullman version, but I digress) The closest western equivalent to the term "yokai" is probably the Celtic 'sidhe.' Both are non-human supernatural creatures with their own sets of rules. Neither are necessarily hostile to humanity but both can still cause humans quite a bit of harm. But translating the Daiyokai name to "Big Fairy" seems even more off than "Great Demon"

2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Hah! Yokai sounds like Norse mythology's Tomtar or Vättar! This conjures all sorts of weird images.

3. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Nah, either leave it in or move it to the NA2 section once that goes live.

not familiar with those, but read or watch "Nurarihyon no Mago" (Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan for the English name), or read "The Zashiki Warashi of Intellectual Village" for an interesting view of yokai. Still dangerous, but much more like the Celtic Sidhe (particularly the Unseelie side of the family) than Solomon's 72 Demons.

4. Mahtamori

If you cram tomtar and vättar into the generalized celtic folklore (which is not uncommon nor all that erroneous), they do qualify as minor Sidhe (generally elves). Tomte is essentially the personification of the farm and will be benevolent or an ass depending on how the landowner treats the land. Mostly, they are depicted as fat Santa's elves with red noses, naturally dyed clothes and a penchant for porridge and beer. (Santa Claus is THE Tomte, but Coca Cola painted them red-and-white)
    So, [epic movie voice] This year, Santa Claus is back, and he's had it with people who are bad. No more coal in socks, Santa Claus knows what you did and now punishment is about to begin.[/epic movie voice]

Section9 likes this.
  5. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

The kanji is 短甲 for the armor.

6. GuanYunChang

GuanYunChang 二哥

Ah thanks! I probably should have been able to find that faster.

That said I'll be transferring the entire JSA entry to the proper forum at some point but until then, Tankō entry has been completed, right under the Haramaki.

7. GuanYunChang

GuanYunChang 二哥

Been awhile everybody. I have updated the YJ pronunciation guide with the new unit names. I have so far not updated Tai Sheng and Krit Kokram because I don't know how to write out Tai Sheng's name, and am pretty certain Krit Kokram is not in fact a Chinese name.

8. Alfy

Alfy Well-Known Member

If I may, the prononciation for the first sound in « Rui Shi » is a bit off. The « r » is actually pronounced « j », but without the starting « d » sound you have in English. So something like j-oo-ey, omitting the d at the beginning.

9. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Does it matter Cantonese or Mandarin? My friend from Taiwan said it was like roo-sure.

10. Alfy

Alfy Well-Known Member

It's in Mandarin. Admittedly, I have seen many English-speakers pronouncing the "r" the English way and not get corrected during my years in China. That's not necessarily significant, though, as Chinese tend to be much more sensitive to errors in tones than in pronunciation of sounds.

You can see an example here, go to 00:30 to see the lady pronounce it a few times. I grew up in France, so for me, it was just a soft French "j" with a rictus. For English speakers, my explanation above was not the best: easier to simply go with the "s" in "leisure".

I have to say, Rui Shi is a fantastic example of two very difficult sounds foreign to European languages. Not sure if CB has a Chinese speaker in their team, but what a crazy choice to inflict on gamers. :yum:

Edit: recorded myself saying it. I don't practice my Chinese much these days, but it's sounds reasonably correct. Link.

#30 Alfy, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Awash in Blood and Space Ranger like this.
  11. Awash in Blood

Awash in Blood Agent of Devastation

Why isn't this pinned?!

Barrogh, Alfy and Sedral like this.
  12. Sedral

Sedral Jīnshān Task Force Officier

that's a darn good question.

Paging @psychoticstorm and his adhesive launcher

Barrogh, Section9, Alfy and 1 other person like this.
  13. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

14. Section9

Thank you!

15. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

16. Mahtamori

17. Alfy

Alfy Well-Known Member

18. Mcgreag

Mcgreag Well-Known Member

Keisotsu is probably a word play, the same pronunciation but with different kanji 勁卒 do mean excellent solider.

19. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

...but possibly unintentional :D

20. Section9

The Japanese do love (ab)using their language for puns.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation