1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the new FAQ ruling on not being able to Jump/Climb while prone affect Impetuous troops?

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Hecaton, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

So first of all we have this FAQ ruling:

So the consequence of this is that if a trooper is prone, they can't do anything if they declare a Jump, because you can't jump while prone and you can't stand up when declaring Jump.

Then there's this bit in the rules on Impetuous troops:

This seems to imply that it was always intended for troopers to be able to stand up at the start of a Jump or Climb, but anyway the question is if the FAQ ruling is intended as an errata of these rules for the Fury characteristic (since whether or not something is an errata or merely a clarification is often unclear). Does a prone Impetuous trooper have to take a header off a building if it gets it somewhere faster?

2. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

AFAIK, the FAQ doesn't change the movement rules, it was always intended to work like that. The Impetuous case is an exception to the norm.

ijw, Mahtamori and toadchild like this.
  3. Bobman

Bobman MERC

Yeah. It seems that the Impetuous rules overrides normal movement rules.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  4. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

Exactly a technicism like that shouldn't get in the way of an impetuous model and a jump to his death.

5. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

I don't wish to sound confrontational, as I respect your intention to challenge rules as an ongoing campaign to clarify the rules.
    With that being said, I've never personally come across anyone who have ever thought this wasn't explicitly the intention, to the point that it seem self-evident that the rule was design with that exact intention.

Postmortem likes this.
  6. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Don't make a case where there isn't one...
    Normally you cannot go/cancel Prone if you are going to declare a Jump or a Climb skill. This is what the FAQ rules out.

Impetuous movements have their own exceptions, as you already quoted from the rules. A prone Impetuous model DO stand up and Jump.
    Kip Up and Jump!

7. Hecaton

Wait, are you agreeing with me?

8. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I've also always read the Impetuous as an exception to the normal rule, and this FAQ has no impact on how I play the game.

9. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

This isn't about agreement/disagreement, what I mean is that this statement:

Baffles me a bit, as I, and many others, have always regarded it as such and it appears that you just recently just come to the same conclussion as everyone I've ever met since I began playing the game.

Postmortem and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  10. Hecaton

I didn't *just* come to this conclusion, that was how I had been playing it prior to the FAQ i.e. you can't be prone while jumping but if you declare Jump you stand up. Apparently that's not the case, but, as I mentioned in the OP, it causes weird interactions with the Fury rules, especially if it's treated as overriding them.

11. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

No, you played it like that prior to this FAQ, because you used Palanka's ruling to justify canceling Prone with Jump and this was never the case for anyone I've ever met, we cancelled Prone because the rules for Fury explicitly states so at the beginning of Fury activation, so we did this, regardless of Palanka's ruling.
    With how you're phrasing your OP statement, you make it sound like prior to Palanka's ruling, a Prone trooper with Fury couldn't declare Jump and had to declare Move instead.

So this FAQ literally doesn't change anything.

Postmortem and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  12. Hecaton

@Zewrath I think you're misunderstanding me.

13. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

@Hecaton

My apologies then. Perhaps my head isn't too clear this morning.

14. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

This. The FAQ simply reinforces the published text for the General Movement Rules and for Prone state. The Impetuous rules are an exception, explicitly forcing the trooper to stand up when they wouldn't normally be able to.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation