1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do if a FAQ ruling is clearly wrong?

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Hecaton, Jul 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

My bad. I thought you deducted from that, that you do not suffer a wound from a failed BTS roll, because you said:
    Well, to me this also refers to the effects of a failed ARM roll, like suffering a wound, as the last sentence on that page indicates.

But I guess that's just me.

Ginrei and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  2. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Well, a prophet has no honor in their own country... now, the $64,000 question: Elijah or Elymas?

Dragonstriker likes this.
  3. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

And most other people...

Dragonstriker likes this.
  4. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

You were correct. In that situation I did say, according to the rules as written, the trooper wouldn't lose a wound. However I do not play it that way.
    You're right, but it's not the rules governing ARM/BTS rolls that cause troopers to suffer wounds. Notice in that last line it just describes the most common occurrence of failing a roll. What actually causes wounds is written over and over again in the various skills and weapons of Infinity.

Unfortunately there is no rule to tell us that when a trooper gets to substitute a saving roll with another type of roll, the effects of the attack also get applied based on that change. It's a simple rule that doesn't exist. Players just intuitively fill in the blanks. It makes perfect sense.

The same way we intuitively don't allow Imetrons to generate orders after taking damage. Unfortunately the FAQ goes against the continuation of this intuition. Which is to intuitively allow Imetrons to be repaired with an Engineer. And once one is ruled to be incorrect, the others get called into question.

It's tough to intuitively do anytihng in Infinity with any certainty. Berserk turns Dodge from a FTF roll into a Normal roll. But here, we're told not to substitute the effects of a Dodge into the new roll. So if I can't apply an effect of Dodge after a successful Normal roll because it requires a FTF roll, Why should I apply effects that require a failed ARM roll when I failed a BTS roll.

Ogid likes this.
  5. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Please keep the discussion civil.

6. Bobman

Bobman MERC

7. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

Or, I don't know, just mute the people making the inflammatory remarks?

Ginrei likes this.
  8. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Anyway the new FAQ is out and can be read.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  9. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Aight, so I guess what we do is point out the contradiction in the ruling? I have no idea if I actually influenced that ruling though.

10. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

Why so many people want to close threads? Closed thread cannot be continued later if a new relevant ruling or doubt happen, nor can be cited. No reason to close this.

Ginrei likes this.
  11. Bobman

Bobman MERC

Doesn’t help the state of the forum.

When a thread is lost in dirge there’s every reason to close it. Any new information will get lost in that dirge so creating a new one would actually be helpful in that case.

12. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

In what way? If people who aren't capable of behaving like adults get muted from threads, they either change their behavior or leave.

Especially people who just show up and complain about others, and then leave. They contribute nothing, and their comments just bloat the thread.

Knauf, Ginrei and Ogid like this.
  13. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

I don't agree, closing the thread will only stop the problem in this thread; but in the next one will happen the same thing. It's much better putting some order and warn who need to be warned.

Ginrei likes this.
  14. Metal730

Metal730 Well-Known Member
    Warcor

It's hard to tell on a forum but the way you wrote this makes me feel like your saying this as if its a bad thing.

Realistically all anyone can do is point something out and wait for change, it doesn't really matter who influenced what as long as whatever changes (or doesn't change) moves the game and community to a better place.

15. Hecaton

Well, since previously I've gotten supposed feedback saying that me pointing out a rules inconsistency here makes it *less* likely to be addressed, it's a fair question.

16. Metal730

Warcor

If I had to guess I'd say that that supposed feedback probably had less to do with the fact that you posted an inconsistency here and more to do with the manner in which you posted the inconsistency.

I'm basing this solely off your original post but, to me, the way in which you presented the OP framed the conversation much more negatively than it needed to be (again, to me). Just food for thought, I think its fair to say a developer would be less inclined to act on feedback that contains overly negative (or positive) tones because some aspect of it is clearly emotionally charged.

17. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

100% what @Metal730 said. If you thought that the feedback was that discussion of issues was the problem, you completely misunderstood the feedback.

18. Hecaton

Or because, in many cases, I'm told not to trust the text of the rules, but instead the house rules of members of the community.

Ginrei likes this.
  19. Metal730

Warcor

Well I'm not interested in telling you what or who to trust.

I just noticed the initial tone of the post and subsequent discussion and thought it didn't look welcoming to a newer player. It didn't look particularly welcoming to CB staff either to be perfectly honest.

You wouldn't post topics like these if everything was sunshine and roses so I'm not saying don't post topics about issues you're concerned with either. I'm just saying it probably wasn't the best way to broach the subject (in my opinion).

I also realize you're not the only one contributing to the negative discussion environment but you are the OP. Until a thread grows to a certain size the OP usually sets the tone of the discussion (based on my personal experience)

TheRedZealot and toadchild like this.
  20. Bobman

Bobman MERC

Because, a sprawl of negativeitty for negativities sake, which doesn't contribute anything itself, isnt a welcoming place for new players. As others have noticed.

Absolutely agree some should be warned.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation