1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perseus’ Inspiration?

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by eriqham, Apr 21, 2019.

1. eriqham

eriqham New Member

I might be dense, but the recent blog post about Perseus mentions that he’s inspired by a character from a ‘fantastic saga’ and I don’t know who they’re referring to.

Any thoughts? Who are they talking about?

Is it the helmet design?

2. Tourniquet

Tourniquet TJC Tech Support

like all of the greek characters in this game they are named after characters from the Illiad.

3. Jason839

Jason839 Well-Known Member

In Greek mythology Perseus was a hero who was cast out from the kingdom by his Grandfather. The grandfather was afraid that he would die by Perseus’s hands. Later on after accomplishing many great deeds Perseus did indeed kill his Grandfather by accident.

So the Grandfather is ALEPH, afraid of the Myrmidons being corrupted by the enemy. Perseus is the hero cast out and in exile, building a reputation by performing great deeds with the nomads. And presumably, sometime in the future, Perseus May do something to cause serious harm to ALEPH.

4. Civilized Barbarian

Civilized Barbarian Praxis' Lead R&D Janitor

We can only dream.

inane.imp, Solar, Robock and 4 others like this.
  5. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

"So this is the power of Black Labs. A blade so 'sharp' it cut through the cybersphere and killed every Posthuman jumper. No more left."

Civilized Barbarian and Robock like this.
  6. Hachiman Taro

Hachiman Taro Inverted gadfly

Well if you think about the theories of Nomads joining / getting influenced by combined there are some fairly scary implications.

It's probably the next most obvious reference to a literal Trojan horse getting a release...

7. Civilized Barbarian

Civilized Barbarian Praxis' Lead R&D Janitor

Oh man, could you imagine a CA agent managing to sepsitorize Aleph itself? Or if Aleph is a decentralized system maybe just a section of it would turn, resulting in possible civil war and some good scifi themes of human duality/infighting in the face of an external threat...

And if we're going literal Trojan horse, I'm hoping for a biotech monstrosity with the AI motorcycle trait. Perseus needs a Praxis steed.

8. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

Isn't that Odyseus too? though I flat out am ignorant of the myths and greek characters.

9. Brother Smoke

Brother Smoke Bureau Trimurti Representative

Odysseus is "Lost" and cut off from Aleph because it assumes he was about to be sepsitorized in Paradiso.
    My personal theory is that he is making his way back, much in the same way as his legend, and will reveal himself to save the day when it's dramatically pertinent.

10. nehemiah

nehemiah Well-Known Member

Perseus does not appear in the Iliad or the Odyssey. He has his own myth which is also were Andromeda comes from.

Tourniquet, Hecaton and DukeofEarl like this.
  11. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

Yep. He actually predates the Homeric stories by a generation or two. I forget exactly how far off the top of my head, but he's one of the first generation of Hellenic heroes.

12. Brother Smoke

Yeah, Homer was pretty late in the whole Greek myth thing. In fact, the most significant work after the Iliad and the Odyssey is Virgil's Aeneid (I think, might be wrong), which tells the story of the surviving Trojans on their way to Italy to one day become the Romans

Galdera, nehemiah and DukeofEarl like this.
  13. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

There's two possibilities.

nº1 is that they are retarded and also think we are retarded and they mean the inspiration for Perseus is the Greek mythology Perseus

nº2 is that they mean they took inspiration from one of the many characters from many fantasy sagas that are tortured and try to convinvce themselves that they are not working for "The Evil Whatever" but they might be but they think they are good and are expecting us to guess a character and series only by knowing his trope.

I'm going to bet its something from Dan Simmon's Hyperion Cantos books because I've been told a bunch of other things from Infinity are references to that series, so its a safe bet.

I would say "its some bullshit from Ghost in the Shell", but they said fantasy, so not that one.

xagroth likes this.
  14. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Non-Homeric Steel Phalanx heroes include Acmon, Andromeda, Thamyris, Atalanta, and Nesaie. So it's not all Homeric heroes, but Hellenic in general (and not even that, if we're counting Hector and Penthesilia etc.)

DukeofEarl likes this.
  15. Brother Smoke

Well, Hector and Penthesilea were Homeric figures, just on the side of the Trojans

16. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Yeah but I wouldn't call them "Hellenic" is what I meant. Also Scylla was a monster not a person.

17. Eruedraith

Eruedraith New Member

It's Jango Fett from star wars, isn't it?

Abrilete, xagroth and chaos11 like this.
  18. chaos11

chaos11 Well-Known Member

That’s what I thought, too.

Abrilete likes this.
  19. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

If that's the case it's not so blatantly obvious that it annoys me this time.

20. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Just remember that Odysseus is "officially DEAD" by CB's words. So the hype would need to be really high for them to revert what feels, to me, something that happened in the original RPG sessions that gave birth to the miniatures game.

I can point to the Evolved Intelligence and it's "assimilation" of the UR Race, while using people as processing units for data (it is mentioned somewhere, I think), being a reference to the Cruciform's in Hyperion (Cruciform == cube, but with the extra of "whatever excess of processing power your brain has, the setting's AIs use it to run themselves"). But I can't remember any other, frankly.

To be fair, the only Recreations are Hector, Achilles, Patroclus and Penthesilea, all the other characters are "base Myrmidons" (more or less) that "earned a name", so all Hellenic culture is available.

The doubt is Perseus being or not a recreation, of course, Wikipedia:
    "From the Hesperides he received a knapsack (kibisis) to safely contain Medusa's head. Zeus gave him an adamantine sword (a Harpe) and Hades' helm of darkness to hide. Hermes lent Perseus winged sandals to fly, and Athena gave him a polished shield. Perseus then proceeded to the Gorgons' cave."
    And of course he would need to rescue andromeda, claiming her in marriage XD

Heck, the pose and looks goes into there, so yeah XD

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation