1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CLP Builds

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Camden Leisure Pirate, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So I've started making terrain for my own table and I really like the neon lotus aesthetic and did toy with the idea of just beefing them up but they don't quite stack so I figured I'd make my own version out of 3mm foamcore, I simply deconstructed the card stock for a template and...
    [​IMG]
    I did make the fancy cuts to hide the joins but added some cereal box to strengthen and add some detail, I have some greebles on the way to give it some real detail and will add some more card to bring it alive but in general I'm excited to see where this goes. Any tips, warnings from the seasoned amongst you would be welcome.

xagroth, Section9, Usashi and 3 others like this.
  2. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Good start.

You could almmost keep the corner as it as it will provide a no effort advertisement panel :yum:

Camden Leisure Pirate likes this.
  3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I do plan to source as much Asian advertisement as I can, my partner has access to a really nice printer so hopefully I can pull it off, will try and grab some of the lenticular stuff too.

Koin-Koin likes this.
  4. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

As long as your corner reinforcements are wider than your foamcore (~6mm from the corner), you should be able to skip the fancy cutting to avoid exposing foam edges.

Looks like a good start!

Paging @Red Harvest !

5. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

Eh? I tend to avoid foamcore. Still, covering the edges is a good idea. One can even use heavy weight paper too, in lieu of food cartons. Use 90#/165gsm or higher. The advantage is simple. You can print things, textures, onto the paper before adhering it to the foamcore...

Here is where I would link to nice post on the old forum, a post about how to adhere the paper to the foamcore... But, Alas the old forum is no more ... Good thing I saved the post on this forum. https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/scratch-build-terrain-tutorials.1040/#post-13432

6. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

You're still one of the forum masters of DIY scenery.

Red Harvest and chromedog like this.
  7. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

I moved from foamcore to foamed pvc sheet ( I believe the usa calls it "Sintra board" or something). Comes in different colours (not just white).
    Cuts almost as easily as foamcore, but is hell on blades, just like foamcore. Sands easily too. MUST be blade cut since a laser cutter will liberate all sorts of toxic fumes (most notably chlorine gas) which will seriously harm you and seriously f*** over the laser cutter because chlorine gas is corrosive as hell. This is the same stuff plastcraft use for a lot of their stuff.
    Superglues readily (and more or less instantly) so positioning of pieces is vital. Also no need to mask edges since rattlecan paint doesn't eat it. Also airbrushes readily.

#7 chromedog, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I will see how the first couple go and maybe then look for some better materials, there is a big show here in a couple of months as well which I don't doubt will have a lot of terrain and parts to go mad with, my biggest enemy is the wife, she hates the mess of terrain building although no hills or woods this time....

chromedog likes this.
  9. chromedog

Yeah, I feel you (about the wife) - but mine accepts and encourages my hobbying as long as it doesn't intrude too far into the house (which is why I was allowed to get a new shed).

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What I wouldn't give for a fortress of solitude..

chromedog and jherazob like this.
  11. chromedog

The new shed is full of crap atm. My old shed is now the gaming terrain and spare board storage for my club.
    The new shed WILL be a gaming space, once I get some more racking in to take care of a few pieces. Then I'll be able to leave a table set up in there.

12. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

It's called a basement hereabouts.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So inspired by @chromedog and his use of the old battlezones kits I dug mine out along with a few bits I've recently aquired and now waiting for the paint table is Chens G-Bikes...once I work out how to make the sign...

[​IMG]

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation