1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIRD: first games, early lists

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by barakiel, Oct 23, 2018.

1. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

Throwing in one LRL is a really nice surprise after you've shown your opponent a SMR or two. It's easy to subvert expectations this way and possibly catch an advancing link team. I'm not totally sold on Decoy yet – I still have to experiment with it

barakiel likes this.
  2. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

@MrNailbrain That's great stuff.

I like your approach. I think a big part of VIRD's success is being able to keep a step ahead of the mind games. For example, solidifying Zulu Cobra Jammer as a great tool, then starting to field more Limited Camo Helots so your opponent worries which ones are jammers. Simultaneously, using different weapons on those Helots to catch opponents who aren't sure what they're up against.

Being able to choose between Decoy or Limited Camo is really nice too... I'd like to become more fluid at picking one or the other based on opponent and the needs of the mission.

3. Savnock

Savnock Nerfherder

@barakiel thanks for the thoughts and tactics on using Jammers defensively, especially to deal with Impersonators. I'm going to try setting up some tricky bait scenarios with Jammers with that.

If you do come over here, I'd love to get a game in with you too! The Paris Satellite tourney still has some open slots I think, and that will be a lot of fun (and April in Paris is lovely). The European Infinity community is really cool.

And those table sin those pics are only a few of the really good ones that the guys Ayadan mentions have made (the Varuna one looks great, and the cargo ship/docks table is the best docks table I've ever seen or played on). Their regular Sunday club has some really skilled players and great terrain, even dropping in there for a single-day ITS is totally worth it.

Also the foie gras burgers are definitely a thing one has to try. Pretty epic with a liter of beer after a long game.

Ayadan and barakiel like this.
  4. Make PanO Great Again :P

Make PanO Great Again :P Varuna, with the deadliest reptiles in the sphere

I dont get it, you guys give up on FD1 for this? because if not then every camo token on the DZ is a HRL Helot, the surprise is when one of the others is used

5. barakiel

@Savnock
    That sounds amazing. I have family in Cannes. Next time I travel to visit them, I'll head north too, and bring my miniatures as well.

Ayadan and Savnock like this.
  6. barakiel

Sometimes FD L1 allows for a good location, sometimes it doesn't. If a Zulu Cobra can't reach a good location with FD L1, I don't try and push the advantage in a way that risks the unit. Instead, I'm happy to deploy in my Deployment Zone. It keeps the unit safe, and also helps reinforce the idea that a Zulu Cobra isn't always a midfield unit.

daboarder likes this.
  7. MikeTheScrivener

Me using the FD1 really depends on which Zulu im using. If it's my LT, chances are he will be camping inn my DZ, if it's the hacker, it's up in the air. Another thing to think about is missions with 16 inch deployment as that allows your Helots to enter +3 range pretty much off the bat and you don't have to commit your Zulu as far.

8. Make PanO Great Again :P

Never said about deploying recklessly just for the extra 4 inc, but normally there is always a better spot where to deploy in that range, even if its not to crowd the DZ and keep the units spaced up.

9. barakiel

Think of it as a way of strengthening your defense if you're using Limited Camo Helots. I don't always keep a Zulu Cobra in the DZ, especially since I've been using Decoy, but I think it could be strong if you're really worried about your opponent attack your DZ aggressively. I would consider this tactic for matchups with Impersonators, Superior Infiltrators, Inferior Infiltrating Grunts, etc.

10. Make PanO Great Again :P

It´s not using the limited camo that sounds strange to me, that i get and im even more in favor of using that if you dont have 3 believable spots for the decoys. It´s just as happened with the minelayer Crocman, if there was a camo token it was a mine because we didnt have anything else, here is kind of the same "is it a Camo? yes, its in the DZ? yes, well then its a Helot".
    It´s possible to confuse the opponent if he is used to ZC giving up on FD, but it has to happen pretty consistently.

11. Cartographer

Cartographer Well-Known Member

Not if you deployed your Croc Man as a camo marker. it's extra fun to watch an opponent's face when the "mine" that declined to ARO the first two orders, decides to lay a BSG template across a fireteam that was "safe" moving on the third.

12. MrNailbrain

MrNailbrain Relentless Optimist

FD1 is great for the aggressive Zulus (Spitfire, SMR) but the KHD is mostly fine with hanging around the DZ first turn pretending to be a Neurocinetics LRL. Likewise the Jammer doesn’t have to be all the way forward to play his games. If the table isn’t favorable to deploying in FD1 range, why risk your piece?

Besides, for the mind games to really start you only need 1 extra camo marker in your DZ. Your opponent sees 2 irregular orders and 3 camo tokens in your DZ and now he can’t say with any certainty which one is a KHD or a Jammer or fiery template death.

13. Make PanO Great Again :P

Hahahahahahahahaha you are wild
    If you go second he wont know how many irregulars, so hey there is that.
    But if there is a better spot i wont sacrifice it for this. Thats just me, maybe im too traditional.

14. MrNailbrain

MrNailbrain Relentless Optimist

It’s not necessarily something you will do all the time, but it’s a tool you can have ready if the situation and table calls for it. And against an opponent who hasn’t thought about it or hasn’t seen it before it can be just the thing to tip the scales in your favor.

Varuna is all about tactical flexibility after all.

15. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

16. MikeTheScrivener

As far as tacticas go, id like to help or contribute in anyway I can – I think after another week or two we will be done with "early" lists and will have a feel for how Varuna plays, what they excel at and what their weaknesses are.
    I can only speak for myself, but as far as nailing down a go-to game plan for Varuna, I think im almost there

Golem2God likes this.
  17. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

I'll be looking forward to reading your thoughts on them.

MikeTheScrivener likes this.
  18. Savnock

Savnock Nerfherder

Definitely do! Give a little bit of notice and we'll set up some games with a good set of players.

Golem2God likes this.
  19. Mune

Mune New Member

Hello guys,

so I just started playing infinity and got some ISS from a friend.
    I have to say I really like the look of pano. So beside the models for pano vanilla, what would you guys suggest me to get, to play vird?
    Looks like most of the models are not available yet.

Thanks for your help.

20. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Varuna starter. Cobra Zulu Jammer is coming soon. PanO starter box for fusiliers and MR ORC. Icestorm Beyond box for Kamau HMG.

Or instead of PanO starter you can get Icestorm box and split it with Nomad, you get additonal Father Knight who can proxy as dismounted Montesa.

Then mayby a box of drones and wait what more CB drops for Varuna.

Golem2God likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation