1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why so serious? Or can someone summarize the negativity

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by BarbeChenue, Nov 20, 2018.

1. grampyseer

grampyseer User of the "ignore" button
    Warcor

This pretty much sums it up. Thanks, @barakiel. I've been struggling with how to express this without going all "dad" on people, and you did it by landing solidly in the "good uncle" category.

The underlying assumption that you've succinctly countered (that the company looks in these threads for unsolicited, nonconstructive, and impolite feedback to make their marketing decisions) is laughable.

I can't even get useful information from emergency services and healthcare workers through a directed survey; I cannot imagine how people could expect CB to sift through all of...this to mine the tiniest fraction of useful ideas when they can generate their own without getting slapped in the face.

2. Nimlothautle

Nimlothautle Well-Known Member

I don't think you have to get into specifics to be helpful. Letting CB know that Uprising = Bad and 3rd O = Good, just by the sheer volume of angry noise is certainly helpful feedback. I think that implying people complaining "don't like the game" is truly a strawman argument. You are right that voting with your wallet is a helpful way to punish a company and send the message they are doing wrong, but submitting feedback loudly and in public are perfectly valid responses as well.

I am here because I actually like this game (Uprising = BAD)

Shiwen, Modock, Abrilete and 7 others like this.
  3. atomicfryingpan

atomicfryingpan Well-Known Member

Noise is just noise though. Companies listen to $$$. They know that whatever it is they do they won't make everyone happy. If unhappy people stop giving them $$$ in large amounts then things change.

4. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

You're right that basically the only thing companies listen to is sales. Money talks, bullshit walks.

But loud complaining in public can get more people than just me to stop giving the company $$$. Which makes it more likely that the company gets the message.

jimbo slice, Abrilete, Furiat and 6 others like this.
  5. atomicfryingpan

There are less than 5,000 members registered on this forum. This isn't even loud complaining, this is a whisper. You're also where many of the most passionate fans are as well. If sales didn't drastically drop after uprising then they're gonna continue on full steam ahead. Seeing as how they have shown no signs of stopping I'd assume that the financials are on the up and they're gonna continue doing what they're doing. A handful of people on the forums rattling cans and making noise changes nothing. More people are gonna outspend you and join the game so you make even less of a difference. Other people just don't care. No one with an iphone cares that the people who make their phones work in a building with suicide nets attached to them because of how bad the conditions are. The majority of consumers don't care, so apple doesn't care, so foxcon doesn't care.

I get it, its a romantic idea of being the little guy and fighting the good fight and sticking it to the man. That's rarely how the world works and especially when it's in business and $$$ is involved. This isn't a subscription based service, they don't rely on our money every month. We all buy a few models a year. Other people buy a few models a year. Some people get into the game and buy a bunch of models all at once, and then go back to buying a few models a year. There's literally no difference between someone not buying models because of protest and someone not buying models because they haven't released any for their army, poor tohaa players.

People who wanted to make change and really affect the $$$ wouldn't be on the forums. You're not gonna change peoples minds on the internet. You'd be trying to convince local players to quit the game or to quit supporting the company. People like that are the minority. Anytime anyone goes on a forum for a game and says they're quitting the game or getting rid of all their stuff is I assume lying or being overly dramatic.

FatherKnowsBest likes this.
  6. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

You absolutely can get a company like CB to listen to but if you want to get anywhere you probably want to put it in a way that is more productive than how it's been typically put recently.

"I'm a straight talker and I call shit things shit" is all well and good but it doesn't tend to get you anywhere. A hard lesson to learn, and I know because I've had to learn it against my nature myself.

7. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

There's two difficult steps; getting the attention and getting something done. Most often the two are incompatible unless the company has someone employed to actually look for the latter and filter out the prior.

8. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

I think the attention does exist. It's not just in the context of the forums, there is a much broader community. The WarCor programme, the conventions, facebook groups etc. But I think the attention does exist. It's not like Koni and Bostria don't post here, they do. But I think that they don't engage with a lot of stuff because of how combatively it's put.

Alphz and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  9. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I can fully agree. I spend too much time on the forums, to be honest, and I only read a fraction of the content being posted (basically only 4 subforums). If they are to get something done in their day, they need to filter stuff and something shouting "this is fucking awful" gets filtered out. Someone posting awesome paintjobs of the armies they themselves play probably gets a filtered in. If you see what I mean.

Attention can be gotten for the wrong reasons and lead to the point being rejected. Someone posting something low key with good insight tends to pass under the radar - even more so if it doesn't fit in a tweet's length.

SpectralOwl likes this.
  10. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

I mean, I too have a job and people who say "this is fucking awful waaah waah" to me about what I do get put right at the bottom of the priority list, because nobody wants to help you or make you happy if you're a whingy little so and so. Especially if you can get away with just ignoring them entirely. There is no one breathing down CBs neck demanding they take a forum comment seriously other than the iron law of the bottom line, and I strongly suspect that's 1) fine, and 2) if it isn't, not because they aren't listening to complaints in this thread.

If you want to be listened to and want to get a result in the context of rules for small metal soldiers typically being more pleasant to the guys who make the game will get you further. That may be frustrating but it's also invariably true.

11. Mikes

Mikes Well-Known Member

If that's the reason some people are angry that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

12. atomicfryingpan

Reset the clock!!

krossaks and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  13. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Well the issue is that we know the more measured criticisms are just ignored. So some of us try a more blunt tack.

14. paraelix

paraelix Seed Embryo Scholar

Slightly off tack - but telling people to "speak with their wallet" isn't necessarily relevant or helpful.

I'm disappointed by the complete imbalance in scale of the MAF changes to the changes made to Mil Ord. MO got, essentially, a ground up rework with new units (both conceptually and new options brought from other factions), whereas MAF got slight tweaks to individual profiles, 1 Wildcard unit, 1 new Haris, and 1 new mixed link.

I already own the entire MAF faction. Literally every model they've released thus far, plus duplicates (or triplicates) of some options. With the exception of the Kurgat Autocannon releasing this month, there are no more models for me to abstain from buying to "speak with my wallet". Whether I am happy or sad with the changes, I have no purchases to make relative to the Morats. So the only avenue left would be to abstain from making purchases of new things, like IA, that I want - in order to "deprive" CB of my cash... But wouldn't that send the message that I don't like IA, instead of that I'm disappointed by MAF?

Posting on the forums and Facebook is, realistically, the only way for me to demonstrate my feelings regarding the update.

BarbeChenue, Warhydra, Shiwen and 6 others like this.
  15. banthafodder

banthafodder Well-Known Member

1) Some people don't enjoy gamifying war crimes (Treason).

2) It's not fun to be told your faction is a contender, but be shown to be the resident jobber. Especially when the supposedly elite replacement sectoral, the Invincibles, gets punked by Keisotsu.

3) Having the inciting incident be one of the most contentious spots of the world wide campaign is damn Mark Millar-esque.

Sure, rheameter is taking forever to get to equilibrium.

paraelix, Paegis and Kallas like this.
  16. Mikes

Mikes Well-Known Member

1) then some people need to start being able to seoarsep fact from or I have some bad news about metaphors and the veracity of tv adverts.

YJ were already a brutal police state that violentlyoppressed sections of their society. And Ithink a lot of people who play Infinity are fine with treason. Or those who celebrate the fourth of July in America are.

It's toy bloody soldiers. Perspective is needed.

17. Mikes

Mikes Well-Known Member

Well I do hear a lot of dumb things each week.

18. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Perspective? This is the Interwebz! Perish the thought! No, hyperbole and overheated rhetoric on all sides is the only way to go.

19. banthafodder

banthafodder Well-Known Member

You misunderstand.

I was referencing the Treason event, specifically the final mission.

I personally find playing pretend genocide to be in poor taste.

20. Solodice

Solodice Freshly Squeezed Troll

It was never in doubt that Yu Jing wasn't the bastion of morality in the Human Sphere (IS are basically the Stasi rolled in with the FBI). With Uprising YJ was presented as the mustache twirling and incompetent villain. YJ was presented before as a more competent villain. So I understand those that are mad at YJs portrayal in Uprising as it's the opposite of what was sold to them before.

What's done is done. However, BOTH sides still sling shit at one another from time to time to get petty rises out of each other.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation