1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to expect from Zhencha?

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Greysturm, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Actually DEPs are only good at 8-16"

2. Fire@Will

Fire@Will Well-Known Member

My bad! Thought they were 16-24!

3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Purely statistically, the D.E.P is for shooting stuff that don't Face to Face, for ARO, or for when there is a significant difference in to hit probability (which is typically only at 32" or more). The D.E.P. will not offer a great increase in probability to score multiple wounds that it's necessarily worth spending it otherwise.

4. banthafodder

banthafodder Well-Known Member

Yeah, like when you move-move 24" away and Achilles v2 says "Na-ah."

5. Joametz

Joametz Chinese Empire in Space enthusiast

I concur with @Mahtamori

Taking advantage of the camo state and C+ skill of the Zhencha, you can position yourself to shoot someone in the back with the DEP without risking a FtF roll. That is nasty.

6. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Very pretty game table!

And decent game to you.

16", but that still means you can work up the side of the table and shoot someone coming up the center in the back.

Means you need to be sneakier, like using a Tiger Sniper.

This.

That's the only way I've ever seen a DEP (spoken 'derp') effective. It's also "how infantry kill tanks 101": don't shoot it in the face, shoot it in the side or the butt when it's not looking!

AdmiralJCJF, ObviousGray and Joametz like this.
  7. ObviousGray

ObviousGray Frenzied Mushroom

Now we know DEP SMG guy is something to use about.

I'm now watching the BS Zhencha; I see something there, combined with his stealthy mobility, could this shotgun man be our solution against Haris overflow meta? Duos and Haris proved their weakness against BS, and catching an open cover is not that hard for C+ unit.

Yeah, it is expensive, but BS 18 surprise shotgun on your ass? That sounds awesome.

8. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

It's also to slow down HI and TAGs who can usually just ignore random combi shoot if they are in hurry towards the objective.

9. Kallas

Kallas Vincible

With Panggulings having a Wildcard option, it might be possible to have some linked close Baggage support for the Zhencha too, meaning they could more freely expend their DEP as a deterrent.

10. Mahtamori

Which would be as an ARO, like I wrote ;)

eciu likes this.
  11. Joametz

I've actually tried the BSG profile, but as much as I'd like to find it useful it feels like it doesn't cut it in comparison to the SMG guy. He's just that much better.

12. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

The DEPs a good Coordinated Order weapon too. If everyone's Burst 1 anyway, and all it takes is one hit to force 3 saves, that can be a good use of a Command Token against a tough target.

Kallas, Joametz and ambisinister like this.
  13. Joametz

I was thinking exactly that. Your 4 Zhenchas, pointing their guns at the enemy TAG from some rooftops and corners, adding the Surprise Shot into the mix...

I'm dreaming about that scenario now, dammit @barakiel !

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  14. Mc_Clane

Mc_Clane Zhànzhēng bùzhǎng
    Warcor

Or you don't land a miserable wound
    Or you run out of orders before dealing that last wound to a 4+3 ARM TAG
    Or you're being hacked unposed due to the DEP shoot not being silent
    Or maybe you eat the tag's HMG explosive round at BS 8-11 +more enemy AROs,
    Or you successfully take the tag unconscious and on the next turn an engineer takes it back

Deciding to discover is a measured risk that is taken by seen the above picture. Halting enemy movements and make them take a detour is how you must act on reactive.

15. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

It's pretty clear you don't have a proper grasp on the fundamentals of risk vs reward from this list of responses, especially when you try to argue about multiple AROs. If you have multiple AROs you discover with the other guys and delay with the TAG to protect it.

You could crit every single roll in a game, but you don't go into a game with this plan or mindset. You protect your vital pieces, you don't risk them doing stupid shit.

16. SpectralOwl

Just went trawling through the wiki, turns out the Targeted state buffs Hacking attacks too for some reason. Perhaps the Zhencha Forward Observers are the key to hacking parity in IA? A KHD or AHD hitting on 16s sounds fantastic, and the Zhencha is a great platform for actually using the Forward Observe skill due to marker state, mobility, advanced deployment and durability all at the same time. Definitely trying this out with a Guided Missile bot and a selection of Hackers next game I get, though I suspect the Guilang FO will still be better in this role as it is in all things.

17. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

Guided Missiles are a trap. If you can target something with your FO, why not shoot it directly? The FO bot with SatLock is another story as it can de-camo units while targeting.

18. SpectralOwl

I tend to use the GML bots as a cheap ARO when my lists are short on long range templates. They're surprisingly good when buffed in the reactive turn, and since I use a lot of Infiltrating Camo FOs I can get a template wherever I need one to exploit closely grouped enemies, which is usually more efficient then trying to shoot with close-range Skirmisher guns in bad range against multiple foes in cover. They're certainly not something that gets used every game, but I never actually regret taking them.

This is especially pertinent to the Zhencha, as outside 16 inches it doesn't really have anything effective at taking out entrenched foes, and its Climbing Plus lets it ascend sniper towers to get good long-range angles on prone-on-a-rooftop foes and the like. Could save an awful lot of movement orders in a faction that often doesn't have many to spare.

#318 SpectralOwl, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  19. Mahtamori

Because for some units it's actually fairly good chances compared to their normal weapons. Take the Zhencha (no surprise shots):

Active Player
    23.06% Custom Unit inflicts 1 or more wounds on Szalamandra Squadron (2 STR)
    2.55% Custom Unit inflicts 2 or more wounds on Szalamandra Squadron (1 STR)
    0.11% Custom Unit inflicts 3 or more wounds on Szalamandra Squadron (Unconscious)

Failures
    48.19% Neither player succeeds
    Reactive Player
    28.75% Szalamandra Squadron inflicts 1 or more wounds on Custom Unit (Unconscious)

Active Player
    43.39% Custom Unit targets Szalamandra Squadron for 1 Turn

Failures
    29.63% Neither player succeeds
    Reactive Player
    26.98% Szalamandra Squadron inflicts 1 or more wounds on Custom Unit (Unconscious)

And then:

Active Player
    60.06% Son-bae Yáokòng inflicts 1 or more wounds on Szalamandra Squadron (2 STR)
    20.81% Son-bae Yáokòng inflicts 2 or more wounds on Szalamandra Squadron (1 STR)

Failures
    26.44% Neither player succeeds
    Reactive Player
    13.50% Szalamandra Squadron Dodges Son-bae Yáokòng

20. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Well Auxilia can't do much with his BS11 and Combi against a TAG.

But actually using his WIP12 to try to SPOT it (at the same time putting nice HFT template due to courtesy of Auxbot) is a valid tactic, once the enemy TAG/HI/etc. is "Targeted" your local friendly Swiss or Bulleteer shoot it even better (well Swiss or Aquila can technicly roll 4 dices on 21s....)

Daemon of Razgriz and Maksimas like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation