1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POLL: What does LoF being Open Information mean to you?

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Todd, Jan 13, 2018.

?

When and how do you typically check Lof while playing Infinity?

1. I consider LoF to be any line drawn from a model/marker to any point on the table.

79.8%
  2. I consider LoF to only be lines drawn between models/markers and other models/markers.

9.1%
  3. I place silhouettes anytime I'm curious about whether potential LoF exists to a certain point.

68.7%
  4. I only place silhouettes for the purpose of checking existing LoF, or after declaration of a Skill.

10.1%
  5. I use implements like line lasers anytime I want to see if LoF exists between two points on a table.

83.8%
  6. I only use line lasers when checking LoF between two models/markers, before/after declaration.

6.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

So, this has become a sticky issue in the most recent Intent thread, and even prompted a question in the rules forum about when we can use gaming aids like laser pointers.

https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/thoughts-on-play-by-intent.724/

https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/laser-pointers.1145/

The intent discussion has brought up some questions that can have a huge affect on the fundamental way many of us play the game.

There seem to be two conflicting viewpoints. One is that LoF being open information means that all potential LoF can be checked, and the other is that LoF is strictly between two models/markers. Another aspect of this is the use of gaming aids. For instance, if you take the latter stance, it's no longer legal/appropriate to place silhouettes where movement has yet to be declared, or scan the field with laser lines.

Please, keep in mind, this is not a place to rehash the Intent thread. This isn't about what the "correct" method of play is, it's about seeing how a specific sample of the community plays, and how one method or the other would affect them.

Check all responses that apply.

Votes are public (for the sake of discussion), and can be changed.

Hecaton, daboarder, Alphz and 5 others like this.
  2. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

It looks like what's going on in that thread (based on the results here) is that a few very vocal people are misreading the LoF rules.

3. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

It's all on page 18 of the N3 rulebook. How is this misreadable?
    Incidentally, this is the less selected response in the poll. Do I have a counterfeit rulebook?

Field of vision is something separate, called LoF angle, or so it seems. That would be the first response in this poll. I have no problem with using a laser line to check that. Saves on bending over.

#3 Red Harvest, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Wolf and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  4. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Because the rules are filled with lines like these (underline is my emphasis):
    • Change Facing works like the Dodge Skill in Reactive Turn, but the Roll to use it is PH-3 and the user does not get to Move on a success, only turn around so that the active enemy is inside his LoF.
    • For this Cautious Movement to generate no AROs, it must end at a location that is also outside the LoF and the Zone of Control of all enemy figures and Markers.
    • This Common Skill represents a quick peek over of a ledge in order to fire upon an enemy below that would normally be outside LoF.
    These lines of text treat LOF as an area that you can be inside or outside of, this is not consistent with a single line that you either have or have not. The confusion is... understandable to say the least.

I am personally convinced of the way line of fire works - now. I'm just not sure I'm willing to play that one by the rules, and even if I did I'm not sure I'd find anyone else willing to do so.

5. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

essentially yes, it gets exacerbated even more when you look at other community hubs. when this got raised the consensus on every other infinity discussion group ive seen was that the idea that LOF is secret and unable to be checked before declaring an order was either a bad joke or a major screw up on CBs part

6. daboarder

Warcor

damn this thing is getting major telling....

7. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

To be fair the loudest voices from the other thread haven't found their way here except for one.

Whaleofforum likes this.
  8. daboarder

Warcor

you cant vote multiple times though

9. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

You're missing the other quote:

Since you can target points on the ground, as well as things like scenery structures, LoF is able to be traced to just about anything.

10. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I just use the Laser most of the time for the same reason @Red Harvest says... saves on bending over! (And I'm not a young man anymore :p, at least according to my lower back XD)

11. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

I think the debate about it needs to be on only one thread.

A Mão Esquerda, WiT? and Superfluid like this.
  12. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

To me it's really about getting the game to play fast and fluid. I'm usually setting the pace because I'm more experienced or at least more enthusiastic than many of my opponents.

If time allows I will say "You sure? You know I can see you?" and let them take it back.

I always allow placing a marker (usually a camo token cuz they're around) and asking if I can see. More often they'll just point because it's usually easy.

Unless CB explicitly suggests this hurts the balance of the game I don't care to do it another way. It has the least mulling about and the least ruined games.

Plebian and daboarder like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation