1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xenotech

Discussion in 'ITS' started by Arkhos94, Sep 3, 2018.

1. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Ignoring Dodge for a moment.

It would trigger any Targetless BS Attack or any variety Deploy [X] ARO. These only require an Active Trooper within LOF.

2. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Ah. I suppose you can use them to gain the +1 burst bonus for a G: Synch in CC tho, that's what I remember doing.

Regardless, there's absolutely no basis for your earlier change of "enemy" in the "dodge" requirements. You can dodge upon merely seeing someone perform a short skill.

3. Hecaton

Actually, it looks like there's an FAQ entry that removed the requirement of attack from Dodge.

Mask and meikyoushisui like this.
  4. inane.imp

Technically that requires the Engaged state. Engaged requires Hostile Troopers to be in B2B. I'm not certain that you can be Engaged with a Neutral.

And that FAQ makes it clear that the active Trooper doesn't need to have declared an attack. It doesn't clear up whether the active Trooper must be able to declare attacks (ie whether it's you can Dodge if you have LOF to any active Trooper or any active Hostile). Completely accept that I have no firm basis for reading Dodge as active Hostile rather than active Trooper. I just think it works better.

5. Spleen

Spleen Well-Known Member

CivEvac
    • While in this state, a Civilian doesn't provide any MOD when engaged in CC.

emperorsaistone and inane.imp like this.
  6. inane.imp

You can Civevac Friendly/Hostile Civilians (Designated Targets) which can be Engaged.

7. Hecaton

I don't even know what this passage means. Civilians don't have Martial Arts or whatever.

8. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

Really? What's the rule for more then one model in an CC?

ijw likes this.
  9. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Plus the big yellow box on the Civilian Rules page:

REMEMBER
    As Civilians are considered Neutral models, being in base to base contact with them doesn't activate the Engaged state (see Infinity N3).

meikyoushisui and inane.imp like this.
  10. inane.imp

More importantly: do they trigger Dodge AROs?

11. ijw

That's already been covered up-thread, hasn't it? You can Dodge even if you don't get attacked.

12. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

dodging doesnt help much when you give every single MSV2 troop with access to smoke the unlimited and unmitigated abillity top shoot every single unit in the game outside of other MSV2+ with no fear of damage back.

How are TAGs and HI supposed to cope with an agmea ML that they cant even shoot back?

It really is an un-thought out interaction

13. inane.imp

Attacker implies that an attack is possible even if it hasn't occurred yet. So you can read that FAQ as, effectively, "Attacker = active Hostile" not "Attacker = active Trooper". Since a Neutral Troopers can not, by definition, be an attacker.

But if you want to settle it that "You can Dodge if you have LOF to an Active Trooper" it's certainly an answer.

14. Hachiman Taro

Hachiman Taro Inverted gadfly

Yeah, the point is more that that's not OK...

inane.imp likes this.
  15. Spleen

Spleen Well-Known Member

You understand the issue though right? the whole argument about the dodging is entirely secondary.

The real issue is that if I link the Xenotech to my Marut who is standing in smoke while the Xenotech is outside the smoke, then everytime my Marut activates I can force enemies to declare AROs against a neutral model they can't effect, then shoot them unopposed, they cannot shoot me at -6 as normal, they cannot shoot me at all, sixth sense is no protection, they can dodge, and that's all.

The argument about dodge is an attempt to reconcile the negative play aspects this presents by suggesting RAW the xenotech shouldn't prompt an ARO. I'd rather just ignore the RAW argument all together and skip right to, I'll be much happier playing the game if xenotechs don't prompt AROs and will advocate for that as a houserule.

wendigo, Mask, theradrussian and 3 others like this.
  16. inane.imp

I didn't say it was 'a good answer'. ;)

17. ijw

Me neither.

18. inane.imp

Yeah, but I kinda want Xenotech to allow me to drop Deployables/Smoke without risk.

So I kinda like "Xenotech cause AROs; Dodge AROs are only valid vs Active Hostiles". It limits the bad interactions significantly.

I'd be ok with Xenotechs don't trigger AROs at all though.

19. inane.imp

But it's not a necessary answer either: nothing in the rules means Dodge is valid vs all active troopers rather than just active Hostiles.

20. Hachiman Taro

Hachiman Taro Inverted gadfly

I think the correct answer is actually:

No, Xenotechs' don't provoke AROs - because they do not meet the definition of Troopers (part of which is that they are capable of both declaring and receiving attacks, which neutral models like Xenotechs are not) and only Troopers provoke AROs unless some sort of special equipment is involved per the ARO rules.

I'd like to have that confirmed though.

@ijw ?

inane.imp likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation