1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overdron in vanilla these days

Discussion in 'Combined Army' started by Keith, Feb 24, 2024.

1. Keith

Keith The Raven Lord

Hello fellow hive members.

Just curious if anyone has noticed an improvement in the Overdrons performance in recent years. Especially in vanilla as an alpha strike.
    Im mainly asking because it’s been a while since I’ve gotten to use the big guy. Since before the tag/HI points reduction. And now there seems to be a much heavier msv1/2 proliferation which means he gets to make more use of albedo. Just pondering some lists I could throw him in. Let me know if there’s any helpful experiences you’d like to share. :)

2. vorthain

vorthain Veteran Novice

I am interested too. I just started Onyx but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around using the Overdrons and Xeodrons.

3. Keith

Keith The Raven Lord

I get that. When I first started playing CA, Onyx had just come out. And I loved all three load outs of the Overdron. And had quite a lot of success with him.
    I struggled with the Xeos but I think that was a play style and finesse thing. It takes practice to maneuver 2 chonks and a paper thin dude without making mistakes. Especially since the loadouts are all midrange. If you have long range aros to deal with you kinda have to take them out first unless you have a path to sneak up.

In onyx im really excited for the Nexus engineer that was added that can duo with Overdron. The Vulcan gives some close range protection and NCO gives more order efficiency. I think that was a really cool addition to take with Overdron or unidron fireteams.

4. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

Not sure about Overdrons, but I've used Xeodrons both in vanilla and OCF as mobile attacking pieces that also work suprisingly well as AROs, with an effective ARM/BTS 9 in cover thanks to Bioimmunity, STR 3, RemPres and Gizmokit PH=13 they can be incredibly hard to shift while threatening a Blitzen/DA/K1 shot in return.

In active, 6-2 super jump with S6 clears a lot of space, so getting good angles with them is quite easy. I've really grown to appreciate these guys for their 50-ish point cost.

5. Lesh'

Lesh' Infinity LATVIA
    Warcor

Overdrone is quite great in current meta due to albedo. I really like the plasma sniper rifle loadout.

6. Child9

Child9 Well-Known Member

Overdron is great and overperform for me most of the time.
    Albedo is a super nice tool, especially on the scary B3 Plasma sniper.
    I also love the dirt cheap B3 HRL + submachine gun, being able to get to ARM9 cover in suppressive fire is nice.
    The HRMC seems too expensive and doesn't bring much more in my opinion.

7. Keith

Keith The Raven Lord

Good to hear the positive feedback. The hrmc was the one I used the least in N3. Mostly due to being in the 70pts+ range back then. But good to hear that the hrl and plasma sniper still get work done. I think the HRMCs role is in the anti aro dice weight pushing pieces to take area control by force. But I see the cheaper cost and lethality of the other loadouts as very viable in their own right.

8. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Albedo is good if you can give it to something that wants to get up close, the TinBot albedo is interesting in Onyx when you can duo with Nourkias to deliver him to the opponent DZ.

In vanilla, Albedo really doesn't do much and the TAG is a bit underwhelming as it has very poor BS and no template.

9. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

HRMC is in my opinion the best variant, because HRMC has exellent range bands and ARM6 3 structure trooper can probably lose multiple firefights without dying.

10. vsvoboden

vsvoboden New Member

If you want to get really heavy - take the noucrtrias in duo with him to get tinbot. But Xeadron in haris with k1 riffle with +1 burst makes me more e confident in winning though

11. vorthain

vorthain Veteran Novice

What about HRL Overdron as a more active hunter? B1 is a little meh in ARO (unlike Neurocinetic Yan Huo) but ranges on the Overdron don't prelude moving around. Plus the dam 14 SMG is an option (and as deadly as the Xeodron multi MMR in burst mode). At range, plasma is indeed most attractive.

The Xeodron make me a little nervous compared to, say, the Geckos, which have higher damage weapons but not the special ammo or mobility of Xeodrons. Dam 17 (Gecko Mk12) seems very high but it is equally tough as Dam 14 K1 MMR against ARM 3 and better at higher ARM targets. It feels like it will be tough to capitalize on jumping, but my gut says they are best at catching a HI out of cover, and even if you are out of cover, STR 3 should save you. But I am not sure. You also want to be relatively close to use the Samaritan but a 2 Xeodron Haris seems super juicy for a hacker.

12. Foux

Foux Member

I love Overdrons as heavy support. I use it as ARO piece mostly.
    In current meta nobody expects this Chongus overwatching the table. Onyx provides two of them, which I highly recommend. Take plasmas, due to better range (and due it's 13 BS, 1B and no MSVs every +3 is important). If cant afford, HRL is also an option, but I don't put this cheaper option on the roof
    Thing is damage is no joke, therefore OPP must deal with them somehow. Due to high ARM and STR it takes time to drill this guy down. Albedo comes in handy quite often.
    Burst 3 in active is enough to take down OPP's AROs (usually).

You can expect OPP will lack the tools to deal with it first turn.

I played the Chongus with Avatar. Albedo on one TAG, and mim-6 on another creates great duo.

13. Keith

Keith The Raven Lord

Thats great! Pretty much confirms what I was thinking. I’m throwing together a list that has an HRL and an Anathematic hacker for similar reasons to your Avatar list. But a bit more objective centric. As much as I love the plasma sniper, the hrl stands out to me not just for cost effectiveness but the dam14 smg that can go suppressive gives a whole other layer of utility.

I think in onyx I could totally see taking an PSR for aro duty and an hrl for active hunting.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation