1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yu Jing Troop Pronunciation & Meaning Video

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Kaneda, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Kaneda

Kaneda Active Member

Hi guys,

I've just posted a video on YouTube which examines all of the Yu Jing troop types and provides assistance with Chinese pronunciation and background to the names of the troops. It takes the form of an interview that I did with a friend whose mother tongue is Mandarin Chinese. I'll attach a link to my channel below. It is video number 5. Remember to subscribe to my channel. Thanks, and enjoy the video!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCIZItk83_PmShklvV0jsLA?view_as=subscriber

Kaneda

Ariwch, Thandar, Pierzasty and 12 others like this.
  2. ambisinister

ambisinister Broken Zoetrope

This is amazing! Thank you!

3. Antares

Antares Well-Known Member

Just watched your video and it was fantastic. Though sometimes it's difficult for me to pronounce the names like you do. For example, the difference in pronouncing Kuang Shi and Zhanshi sounds pretty minor to me. Still I'd recommend any Yu Jing player to see this!

Golem2God likes this.
  4. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

Didn't we have an extensive thread on YJ and JSA unit names meaning?
    Would be great if we could combine that one and this video.

And maybe pin the resulting source.

5. Whyrocknodie

Whyrocknodie Well-Known Member

Really useful stuff, thanks!

6. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

Awesome stuff, 10x better to have someone say it than to have it explained in a text post.

BTW, the animal rank system, especially the birds, is lifted from the old Mandarin squares. The top scholarly ranks are... the crane and golden pheasant :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_square

ed:
    Also, Crane/Pheasant are scholarly ranks because those agent are part of the judicial system and not the military. OTOH, Eagle rank is military.
    • Kuang Shi - isn't it just because that specific name was taken from a different language (see also: Hac Tao)
    • Dragon - there is actually a Dragon Rank in the fluff, but it's either extremely high (Sun Tze-tier), or reserved for the Emperor himself.
    • unreadable tiny logos - the army builder logos are actually vector files, so you can open them in a new tab and have a big and easily readable image.
    • Shang Ji - the name refers to the plain Invincible (now obsolete), kinda like "Invincible mk2", as in superior/upgraded version. So you're spot on here.
    • Su Jian - the previous version looked like a remote similar to the Yaokong, that transformed into a bipedal but still very robotic-looking form. There was nothing to suggest animal imagery at the time.
    • Son-Bae - definitely Korean, and with it proxying a ML remote in mercenary armies, also a source of a "don't notice me senpai" running joke.

#6 Pierzasty, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Barrogh likes this.
  7. Kaneda

Kaneda Active Member

Thanks guys for the kind and positive comments left here and on YouTube. Similarities between troop names has been mentioned several times, so I'll address this in a future video.

8. Ariwch

Ariwch Tournament benthotic lurker

Nice video! And I believe, you and your friend used Cantonese, not Mandarin pronunciation?

9. SturmOgre

SturmOgre New Member

I'm pretty sure the pronunciations are in Mandarin.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation