1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yu Jing Background

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Space Ranger, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Just found this for Aristea and thought it very interesting. There's not much background stuff online for people that haven't bought the books.

Link here too: https://www.aristeiathegame.com/blog/item/788-travel-guide-yu-jing

One of the notable things it says is about how they colonized the new Yu Jing worlds. They kept everyone in their different cultures/nationalities. I thought it was just the Japanese at first as a condition of being a part of Yu JIng. They specifically mention Koguryō, the Korean territory. I'm just wondering if they even tried to colonize areas that are similar to Earth or did they say put the Viets in the polar region?

Golem2God likes this.
  2. Yinsania

Yinsania айхаас хэт галзуурсан

In the RPG book says that the diferent cultures that conform Yu Jing wanted to keep their identities. The capital was moved to Shentang to show that all the cultures are equals but they wanted to create a Nation of nations, were everybody are yujineses but can keep a bit of self identity

3. Space Ranger

It makes sense to me just for getting people to do it. It's a lot less scary to colonize a new world if take the familiar.

I think it's been mentioned before but is there an idea of populations? Even with cubes the populations on some of the new worlds has got to be pretty sparse. While it's 200 years in the future from now, the cubes and colonizing worlds has only been around for 150-ish years. That's really not much time. Have they talked about how they make new bodies for people? They make it sound as if it's not that easy to get a body too. It's for those with the money or who have done something special like military service. Ariadna doesn't even have the luxury of them and they are constantly fighting Antipodes.

4. Yinsania

"Resurrections" are just for a limited list of people. Money and exceptcionary services are reasons to get a resurrection. Silk, the biotecnology that make posible this, is very limited.So every nation control resurrections by their way. Church is the responsable of this in PanO and The Party in Yu Jing. It works very similar to Altered Carbon, not by chance XD.

chromedog and Golem2God like this.
  5. Space Ranger

AC it was more about money. Also people can actually exchange bodies. You can get the body of a criminal if you lost yours and it's available. Not sure how it works in Infinity. Does it take along time to make them? Are they synthetic? Therefore no longer able to have children naturally? If cloned do you start in a younger body? The Church can refuse you based on religion and the Party can refuse you if they think you are not loyal enough I guess.

How did the Christian church, a biased organization, get control of the resurrections of Hindus, Muslims, Jews and the many others that are in PanO?

6. Yinsania

In Infinity are synthetic, there are variety of LHosts(bodies). And what I know is that there are natural born children.
    Well, I don't know how they take the decision exactly, but I remember that the Church half-absorved all the religions, so it isn't the "Christian" Church, it's more like a conglomerate of religions with the name "Church"

Golem2God and Space Ranger like this.
  7. Ariwch

Ariwch Tournament benthotic lurker

You really could wish to read Infinity RPG Core Rulebook as there 25 pages not only introducing a player to the Infinityverse but also briefing him on these very topics :) And later in the same book there are like 180 pages of Human Sphere chapter, telling what the life of different factions looks like and are Human Sphere worlds.

colbrook and Space Ranger like this.
  8. Space Ranger

I actually do have it! But haven't gotten to that part yet. There's a lot of great stuff in there. However now many others have it.

9. Yinsania

I didn't finished the book yet. Too much things at same time XD

Space Ranger likes this.
  10. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

Artificial womb technology created the massive population explosion which populated the Human Sphere.

That's explained in the RPG quite well.

11. Space Ranger

Funny it's in the RPG, which most don't have.

12. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

Well, it's not very relevant to the wargame.

Space Ranger and chromedog like this.
  13. Space Ranger

Good point. I guess an artificial womb makes sense. But there's still the people that need to take care of all of those children.

Now we have a Korean and Mongol troop! I'm pretty excited for the potential of that.

14. Solodice

Solodice Freshly Squeezed Troll

With the help of remotes and geists (when they're old enough but you get one pretty young) taking care of more children or those raised by the state becomes easier.

15. Space Ranger

16. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Read through that and replace Imperial Service with Gestapo, Uighur with Jew, and then consider that the Uighur genocide will probably be complete within the next decade and tell me that it isn't at least a little bit on the nose.

Tourniquet and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  17. Space Ranger

Just can't think positive can you? I like to think those types of things don't exist or are very small in Infinity. They have specifically said that religions are fine in Yu Jing and encourage some. unlike now. True there's Kuang Shi, which i refuse to use, but there's still some positive.

18. Triumph

It's not a question of the work being fiction or not. If I wrote a story featuring a jewish boy growing up and idolising the SS waffen or the Gestapo, then joining them and glorifying them as an elite agent in that heroic organisation regardless of it being alternate universe fiction you'd rightly be saying "dude, really?". Being fiction doesn't really help because of the real life events and rules that we draw context from.

It's pretty tasteless, and it's weird given that no part of this fluff has any real integral value around the character's ethnicity and the Uighur part really doesn't even need to be a thing from what he's written. It's kinda like Gutier's thinking "Uighurs are so hot right now" and wants to weave them into his writing but doesn't actually understand why they're a hot topic and is really just making a mess out of the situation.

Like you could write a nuanced piece discussing conflicting values, old atrocities, and a character working around that. But what Gutier's written is basically China did nothing wrong and it's kinda gross, can't really be classified as good writing from my perspective. Probably wouldn't be calling it cool personally but that's just me.

#18 Triumph, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  19. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

If you're going to do replacements like that, you could do some that's a bit less Godwin.
    Afrikaners - ANC
    Senegalese - DGSE
    Mexican - NSA

Suddenly it doesn't sound as bad when you don't also make the unspoken, but a lot more important, replacement of Yu Jing to German 3rd Reich because Yu Jing'd have to be as bad as the 3rd Reich for Imperial Service to be as bad as Gestapo - and before you bring up Uprising, do take a bit of time to reflect on certain events throughout history when the security services haven't gone full inhuman monstrosity without the whole nation being judged to be a pre-cursor or successor of the German 3rd Reich.

The world is filled with examples of mistrusted minorities. The fact that Yu Jing in CB's fiction hasn't actually completed the obliteration of the Uighur identity after having had 200 years to do so should tell you that no, in fact, in the alternate reality where CB set Yu Jing the "re-education centres" didn't happen.
    It seems instead that what they did was they obliterated non-government religious organisations and brought religion under control instead of kept trying to Mao them out of existence. Sure, the story is a bit on the uncomfortable side given the inevitable context of present day, and the recruitment story sounds like it's lifted from descriptions of how someone turns into a football hooligan or white supremacist. Or volunteer missionary healthcare worker, because life changing recruiting events where someone feeling outcast is given purpose isn't unique to violent organisations.

So, really, Gutier isn't writing "China did nothing wrong", he's writing "China will do less wrong" and the difference is extreme.

Hell, considering the time-frame; Irish decent joining NSA, though the naturalisation of those of Irish decent has gone a lot smoother in the US than what's described for CB's Uighurs.

Zewrath, Solodice and Stuffist like this.
  20. Triumph

It's the easiest way to get the point across because everyone's familiar with it. I can't even use the Kempeitai as an effective example because half the ook ooks on this forum have no real understanding of exactly how bad they were.

I didn't compare Yu Jing to the 3rd Reich, I directly compared the ISS to two different but comparative organisations, all of which share a very similar methodology in their real and fictional settings. And yes, Uprising really didn't help do anything but reinforce this point by portraying the ISS as a band of genocidal maniacs.

That was also a pretty badly written, plot hole riddled hot mess but that's besides the point.

You say a bit uncomfortable, which is pretty accurate. It's not like you'd go out and call Gutier some kind of weird racist for trying to white wash over ongoing human rights violations where women are literally being traded like cattle for the freedom of their families because that's highly unlikely his intent.

On the other hand he could stand to read the room a better because what he's writing is coming across as a bit gross given the current climate. Makes you wanna take a shower after reading it.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation