1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will expansions be available with metal miniatures?

Discussion in 'News' started by Croepoek, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Croepoek

Croepoek Well-Known Member

Hope this is the right forum for the question:

I painted already three of my starter box Aristeia miniatures and I am not really happy with the soft plastic (should have bought the collectors edition...) The colors do not really stick on the material if lightly pressured (e.g. picking up miniature and not just grabbing the base but torso instead). As I have never experienced this with any metal or plastic miniature in my 15+ years in the tabletop hobby I would at this point point to the plastic material (miniature was cleaned, black basecoat via spray can, more then 4 layers of Vallejo colors). Clearly at some point colors come off, but not with low pressure and not while freshly painted.

Due to the unpleasant experience of scratching the 6th highlight on Maximus feet and having to paint it again (twice):
    Is there a chance that the expansions will be available in metal?

Thanks!

2. BaronVonZorcula

BaronVonZorcula Ikari Warrior

You should spray prime the minis (not spray basecoat) and then clear them when finished. All minis are susceptible to abrasion and flaking due to handling if you don't clear coat them.

Plebian likes this.
  3. Croepoek

Hi thanks for the reply and suggestion. I mixed up the words: minis were cleaned (water+soap), dried and spray primed (black + a bit of white for zenithal lighting). I painted probably more then 400 miniatures of a variety of different plastics and metal and never before could I by just accidental slight touch remove 6+ layers of paint.

Therefore the question remains: does anyone know of plans to release the extensions in metal?

4. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

Carlos LLauger of Corvus Belli stated on a Beasts of War Youtube feed that the expansion sets of four minis each would be plastic but that they plan to release metal "skins" of popular Aristos from time to time as demand would justify. The first metal "skin" will be Maximus in Ancient Greek Warrior regalia as in Thermopylae. I am painting my core set plastic minis and I am not seeing your issues. Of course I am not a collector or a great painter but putting enough paint so I can distinguish the models at a glance and not be too embarrassed to demo the game to my friends. My thirty-two yer old son explained to me that there are games like Infinity that have collectable models but also has a complex and challenging game but this Aristeia is the other end of the spectrum which is a great game that happens to use models. As a game he said that Aristeia could use hexagonal poker chips just as well. He loves GW's "Shadespire" and suggests that Corvus Belli contact the Chinese manufacturers of those "press to assemble" models for a better alternative than what they are delivering in this basic core set.

5. Croepoek

Ah, okay. Thanks for the info! Found the video.

Seems unfortunate as the plastic looses a lot of details compared to the metal (e.g. the cat mask from Gata is basically unrecognizable on my plastic mini while beeing nicely detailled on the metal one).

daboarder likes this.
  6. deep-green-x

deep-green-x Well-Known Member

Are you prepaed to pay up to double the cost of the boxes for the expansions to get the metal miniatures?

While it would be nice to get metal copies for the expansions it's not a simple one for one swap there arw bigger logistical issues that include production that make this hard to do.

Added into this is the comparatively tiny market for the metal minis amongst painters and collectors when weighed up against the target demographic of board game players who couldn't care less about metal minis or higher detail.

I'd like CB to do metal versions for the expansions but totally understand why this is a big ask and why it is unlikely to happen.

7. Croepoek

Yes, I have no problem at all with a doubled price. If I spend ~40 hours painting 4 minis, I would like to have nice details etc. and not flexible plastic on which the paint comes off. I also understand the production and logistics effort behind and I only asked if there is any plan / rumor about this.

On a different note: I am not sure how the client base for such games is structured but for a long term game success (and CB by now plan for at least a year of expansions) my bet would be on the table top enthusiast group. Anyway, I hope the game expands and is a great success :blush:

irishwizz likes this.
  8. ArTrodes

ArTrodes Never give up

You need understand that was a market decition. Corvus prefer sell more with low price at tabletop games market.

But i think could will do it better. First plastic model haven´t very detailed models.

9. Croepoek

Okay, to clarify:
    I am totally fine with CB targeting people not prior involved in tabletop etc. and that the trade-off to make the box attractive is minis in lower quality plastic.

Just wanted to know if there is a chance for metal miniatures in the future. Answer so far: probably not (video BoW), only for special skins. Fine with me, I just bought matt varnish and will protect the colors this way. Also there is a limited chance to swap models for proper metal ones (collectors edition, Senor Massacre already available etc.) :blush:

10. Dabicho

Dabicho Well-Known Member

They also said that the new miniatures from the expansions will be more detailed. They saw that a lot of detail is left away so they should make them bigger on the mold.

I have half of them painted at the moment and no painting issues (well, no more than my lack of real abilities to do so).

11. Croepoek

Cool, good to know. Let‘s see how the first expansion turns out :)

Smiler likes this.
  12. BaronVonZorcula

I painted the plastic Parvati and 8-Ball yesterday. Washed, dried, primed white, washed black, basecoated, washed, layered, highlighted, clear coated. I have been handling them somewhat roughly in order to try and replicate your issue and mine are holding up just fine.

Plebian likes this.
  13. Plebian

Plebian Well-Known Member

I have painted a set of plastic and metal. While I didn't have any problems with the plastic and found they compared favorably with other preassembled plastics out there, I prefer metal due to a variety of reasons.

I really hope they release the expansions in metal as well, I don't mind spending more!!

14. irishwizz

irishwizz Member

<troll mode on>well, the market issue is non-existent since only infinity players buy aristeia</troll mode off>

Well, CB will take the decisions it deems important. Additional skins without the cards of the expansion mean they will not be playable unless you also buy the expansions, in which case you would have twice the minis (with different skins admittedly).
    Additional skins for the minis of the expansions, why not, if the rules and cards of the expansions are also released separately.

(Like for nexromunda)

#14 irishwizz, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  15. ephrael

ephrael Member

I haven’t picked up a copy of the game yet but I would bet that CB will make metal versions of the minis eventually if the demand exists. There are already several metal versions of characters in the game, Major Lunah, Senor Massacre, Mushashi. That’s a pretty good start so far.

As for your paint flaking issue, may I ask what brand of primer you are using? There is an amazing brand of automotive primer that I use that never flakes off any surface.

16. Croepoek

Hi, GW in Black and Army Painter in White.

On another note: I think I found the problem. I reattached Maximus with super glue and that might have caused the flakes. Seems to have stopped now, meaning the paint is fixed

17. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

Not at this moment.

18. BaronVonZorcula

Just FYI, GW sprays are not "primer", they are paint. That might also be part of your issue. Army Painter on the other hand is an actual colored primer and in my experience works very well.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  19. Croepoek

Okay I did not know that, but anyway GW Primer worked for everything for 10+ years (metal, failcast, resin, mdf wood etc.) and also now for the wobbly plastic. If any flaking occurs, I will let you guys know.

20. Plebian

Plebian Well-Known Member

I've had quite a few issues with low quality GW spray, I don't think they QA very well.

Dragonstriker and Croepoek like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation