1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where the heck is Comic Sans font?!?

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Section9, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Like the title says.

Having Comic Sans font available to use as the "I'm being sarcastic" font like we did in the old forum would probably really help cut down on flame wars and other misunderstandings.

Or some other visually-distinctive font, you could even name it 'Sarcasm Font' in the font family dropdown.

2. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

If you go to the BB Code editor option of a reply, the little wrenchy spanner at the top right, you can manually do plenty of "missing" fonts. Like Calibri or Segoe Script.

But not wingdings, thank goodness.

It also may not display on some systems, including mobile.

[FONT*=Comic Sans MS]Instant Evil, Just Remove Asterisk[/*FONT]

#2 Del S, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Red Harvest likes this.
  3. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

You can type the BBCode in the "smart" editor. Yep, it will convert on posting. The spanner mode is best used for fixing things when the smart shows off its stupidity.

And you are not free from windings silliness. It's just a different way (and probably worse).

Del S likes this.
  4. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

If I understand this forum set up, any font available through fonts.googleapis.com should work if invoked as Del S describes. You can check all the available fonts at fonts.google.com. A bit of advice though. Use the advanced editor to do this. You will want to preview your post in order to see that the font renders, and is a legible size. This is the Orbitron font, for the classic Infinity look.

This is the perfect font for sarcasm, by the way. Far superior to Comic Sans, especially in a forum for a Sci Fi game.

edit to correct URL.

#4 Red Harvest, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Del S likes this.
  5. Mob of Blondes

Hm... not looking Orbitronish here. I believe it's what the browser wants to load, not the forum serving it. Maybe yours contacts f.g.c if the font is not locally avaliable.

6. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

Orbitron would be a nice font to have too, but right now it doesn't display for me either, nor does the Caslon Antique. Guess it's very variable as to what displays where :(

7. Red Harvest

Well, in Firefox there is a setting to allow web pages to set their own fonts. (Preferences>Languages and Appearance>Advanced) Maybe check that. I do have the fonts in ~/.fonts (local install, not system install.) I see the Orbitron, and the Caslon Antique in Firefox, Vivaldi and Chromium.

And it appears that the browser is loading the fonts from my local folder. So, if you want to see the fonts rendered, you'll need them on your system.

#7 Red Harvest, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  8. Mob of Blondes

So you have Orbitron and the browsers use it. No Orbriton here thus no change in look (it uses a serif instead). Mistery solved, I guess, at least until Chrome or some other browser goes ahead and gets fonts as needed (ignoring web server and local machine).

9. Red Harvest

Exactly. Comic Sans is a standard font on all Windows OS systems, as is Calibri and Segoe, but not on Linux based OSs, including Android. A standard Linux install will not show Comic sans, or any Microsoft font until you install them or put them in a ~/.fonts.

Orbitron is a free font, BTW.

10. locksmith

locksmith comlog active

Tonight, on a very special episode of System Fonts...

Del S likes this.
  11. Red Harvest

Congratulations Mr. Warcor, sir. You just won this thread. Such a wonderful, insightful comment.

12. Spleen

Spleen Well-Known Member

13. Section9

OK, testing: This should be Comic Sans.

This should be Orbitron.

Edit: damn linux boxes, no Comic Sans because it's Micro$oft...

#13 Section9, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  14. Mob of Blondes

MS Core Fonts (original/old versions) are easily avaliable in most Linux, just not by default. Check the package manager or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_fonts_for_the_Web for sources.

And there are also replacements with different levels of likeness (Comic Neue, Humor Sans, eg), which if properly configured, will be used when the others are requested.

15. Red Harvest

For Debian based systems: open synaptic, and type ttf-mscorefonts-installer in the search box. And apply. There may be a EULA.

I don't bother. Since my Laptops had Windows OS partitions, I just copied the fonts from the Windows partition over to the Linux side. IIRC, C:\Windows\Fonts.

16. Section9

Yeah, the sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer terminal command in Ubuntu does not like 18.04's terminal window. It didn't give me a way to accept the EULA, so I had to do it the hard way, 'acquiring' the MS truetype fonts from a MS machine.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation