1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to check a mines trigger area?

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Randomcallsign, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Randomcallsign

Randomcallsign Well-Known Member

Had a funky rules question come up last night and I'm hoping for some clarification.
    When and how can you check if a model has entered the trigger area of a mine?
    Corvus Belli is very clear that there's no pre-measuring in Infinity but when a model is near the trigger zone of a camo marker (AM) how do you go about checking whether or not the mine is set off without alerting your opponent that the camo marker in question is in fact, a mine?

Real life example: During the active turn Angus approaches a corner trying to creep up on an objective that is guarded by an opposing camo token. With his first order Angus comes around the corner, near the token but hard to tell whether or not he's in the trigger area. (say 8.75") As an ARO the camo marker does what? Idle? Measure for ZOC? goes off but not reach Angus?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Bobman

Bobman MERC

I don’t think you can. If you think it’s close it has to be measured as the mine has no choice about triggering.

3. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

This. If it's at all in doubt measure it.

Always err on the generous side. It's less of an issue if you place the Template and it's out than if you don't place the Template and later find out it's in.

4. clever handle

clever handle Well-Known Member

active player - 'I move my model to this point'
    Reactive player - 'Alright, it looks close so this camo marker reveals to be a mine. If you are in its AoE it must go off
    AP - 'Hmm looks close. I should probably dodge

Resolution phase, place template and determine whether model was in fact in the mine's AoE - if yes the mine goes off. If not, it reverts to a camo marker

Randomcallsign likes this.
  5. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Templates go down after declaration of the Move, not during Resolution.

While your solution solves the problem it's explicitly against the rules.

As an aside, that is how Perimeter weapons work.

6. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

The template is placed as soon as the mine is triggered, this can be done with more things than movement.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation