1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When does the NFB of White noise apply?

Discussion in 'Rules' started by kendofarfar, Sep 22, 2022.

1. kendofarfar

kendofarfar Member

Like the title says :)
    Does it only apply at the moment the hacker activates the program, does it affect the hacker as long as the have the program active, does it affect models in the WN-zone, all of the above?
    Or maybe something completely different?

Was trying to compare to Cybermask but it's kind of hard to apply. But coming from that I would guess anyone activating an action inside the zone for as long as it is active. Really unsure and could go any of the ways to me though so was hoping for some help :)

2. Iskandar

Iskandar Well-Known Member

It affects the hacker until the white noise zone dissappears which is during the states phase

solkan, kendofarfar and colbrook like this.
  3. pseudonymmster

@Iskandar I disagree.

The NFB trait is on the Short Skill "White Noise". So the NFB only applies when declaring that skill. Afterwards the hacker is independent of the white noise zone. Otherwise this would prevent a hacker from making 2 White Noise zones.

So, to re-iterate, it's on the Short Skill, which means NFB applies to the trooper declaring it, and only during the order it declares it. As far as I'm reading, anyways.

4. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

NFB says "The activation of any Special Skill, Equipment, Hacking Program, special rule, etc. with Negative Feedback will automatically cancel and override any other Special Skill, Equipment, Hacking Program, etc. with Negative Feedback the Trooper may have, until the effects of the new Special Skill, Equipment, etc. are canceled or until it is voluntarily Deactivated."

The only two Hacking Programs that have NFB are White Noise and Cybermask. Neither of them are Supportware, so the programs don't persist. White Noise activates and generates a zone, Cybermask activates and puts the user into the Impersonation State, but neither program persists as a program.

The fact that NFB nonetheless refers to Hacking Programs with NFB being cancelled by other NFB activations suggests to me that it must be referring to the effects of those Hacking Programs, i.e. the White Noise zone and the Impersonation state (although in the latter case it's redundant since the State also has NFB). So it seems to me that yes, the White Noise zone stays tied to the hacker and will be cancelled if the hacker goes into Camo, generates another White Noise zone, etc.

The alternative reading would render meaningless the reference to Hacking Programs in the NFB rule, I think.

Jumara and solkan like this.
  5. bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35 Well-Known Member

It is certainly well within the realm of possibility, maybe even probable, that the NFB paragraph is just a blanket statement. Not intending to target those specific programs that does not persist any more than the BS attack after an attack with a moke grenade persists.

6. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I can't think of any skill or equipment with NFB where the effect of said skill has NFB except Mimetism, which is the exception because it doesn't have a secondary state or on going table effect that it causes.

7. QueensGambit

Huh, you're right. I wrote too quickly, should have checked more rules (first of all, camo doesn't have NFB). In fact, here are all the NFB rules:

Cybermask
    Holomask
    Holoprojector
    White Noise
    Mimetism
    Albedo
    Impersonation

Cybermask, Holomask, Holoprojector, and Impersonation are all Skills, Equipment, or Hacking Programs which cause States, but the States themselves don't have the NFB label. The Skills, Equipment, and Hacking Programs do.

Albedo is the same, except that the State doesn't have its own rules entry (at least I don't see it in the wiki), the State is just described in the rule for the Equipment. So in theory we don't know whether the State has the NFB label, but the Equipment that causes the State definitely does.

White Noise is a Hacking Program which creates a terrain zone, again the Hacking Program has the NFB label but the terrain zone doesn't.

Mimetism is the only one where the Skill causes its Effect directly rather than causing a State, and the Skill has the NFB label.

So NFB must apply to things caused by Skill and Equipment that have the label, otherwise it would only work on Mimetism (and possibly Albedo if we assume that the State also has the label, which would be a stretch).

8. Mahtamori

I would interpret it as simple as the states are just on-going effects of a skill dec.

Luckily it seems CB removed Cybermask from the profiles where this in conjunction with mimetic peripherals would've been relevant and highly annoying. Just be careful with spicy scenarios if you don't want mim-6 imp-1s running around accidentally :)

9. QueensGambit

Yeah, that seems to be the intent here and it's easy enough to implement.

It's not the case generally. Like, the Prone state isn't an ongoing effect of the Move skill that put the unit in that state, the Targeted state isn't an ongoing effect of Forward Observer, the Unconscious state isn't an ongoing effect of BS Attack, etc. But it seems to be how we're supposed to treat it in regards to NFB. It does look particularly weird on White Noise where the terrain zone is otherwise independent of the trooper that generated it, but there it is.

I suppose a corollary would be that if the hacker goes unconscious before the turn is over, the White Noise zone disappears?

Mahtamori and bladerunner_35 like this.
  10. Mahtamori

Well, a bunch of states come with massive benefits but minor drawbacks and tend to not let you voluntarily just get out of the drawbacks. Arguably, the same should be true reversed. Being Isolated or Null doesn't carry a generalized end to on-going effects, nor does White Noise specifically call those out as cancelling the effect.
    I'd say that since Dead doesn't come with NFB or specific clauses, it won't cancel the zone.

Jumara likes this.
  11. Tristan228

Tristan228 Bakunin's best Morlock trainer
    Warcor

Like the Reverend Custodiers ;)

Jumara likes this.
  12. Mahtamori

That'd not be specific to Custodiers. If you made a scenario where anyone pushing a specific button immediately went into IMP-1 state, people would have a terrible time Discovering Myrmidons as well and I think I'd hate facing IMP:ed Myrms more than Custodiers.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation